What if Butch Davis would've stayed at Miami? (Article)

things we do and say today help shape a person's tomorrow.way things have turned out the last 15 yrs for um and Butch .makes you wonder who did who wrong.time to move on and quit crying over the past.it's ok to give past coaches kudos for giving us the tradition we have.but now um is about to rewrite history with a new coach not with those from those that were here years ago.

Advertisement
Lets

If JJ stays Templar...we have 10 NCs...
Btw Templar...Good to hear from you...haven't spoken with you since the Old Grassy days....Hope all is well...

Same to you.

I don’t think JJ would stayed longer than a few more seasons. No reason to think JJ could not have had a Saban-like run from 1989-92 or so. He might have won three titles. The NFL would have come calling, and most coaches dreams of being a HC in the NFL.

Unlike Davis, Jimmy Johnson made the right choice.

What if Jerry Jones hadn’t had his head up his rear and held on to Jimmy for another decade? Jimmy and Troy Aikman would be Bill Belichik and Tom Brady.

Same to you.

I don’t think JJ would stayed longer than a few more seasons. No reason to think JJ could not have had a Saban-like run from 1989-92 or so. He might have won three titles. The NFL would have come calling, and most coaches dreams of being a HC in the NFL.

Unlike Davis, Jimmy Johnson made the right choice.

What if Jerry Jones hadn’t had his head up his rear and held on to Jimmy for another decade? Jimmy and Troy Aikman would be Bill Belichik and Tom Brady.
Templar....Butch realizes he made a mistake...but we all have.....Howard Hauled *** for more $$$$....No big deal....JJ leaves for more $$$$...Pfftttt...No Biggie....Butch leaves for more $$$...And the Villagers are out with Pitchforks....

Templar....Butch realizes he made a mistake...but we all have.....Howard Hauled *** for more $$$$....No big deal....JJ leaves for more $$$$...Pfftttt...No Biggie....Butch leaves for more $$$...And the Villagers are out with Pitchforks....

Yeah, and the 80s were a different era than 2000.

One big difference is Howard and Johnson left after winning championships.

Advertisement
IP3WnE.gif

WHEN GIVEN??.....Who the F do you think recruited them???.....17 MF-ing 1st Rounders from 2001-2004....25 from 95-2004....

You've made clear that Butch is good at talent evaluation...about 100 times. What you gloss over is that he needs to be the head coach of the most recent 4 time National Championship program in the country in a hotbed of talent with no video existing on the internet to do so.

Come 9/22/18 I expect about 10-15% of our fanbase to commit ritual suicide after we destroy FIU.

Love Butch all you want, but he's not a Cane anymore & he's on the schedule, which means you're either on our side or rooting for an enemy.

There's a lot of Coaches & players all around College football that I like & am a fan of for a bunch of different reasons, but I'm a CANE above all. My loyalty & support is to Miami & Miami alone.

So #nckiug tired this Butch vomitus rearing it’s ugly head like clockwork. We have a top10 coach in place, the program’s made the U-turn for the better, recruiting’s killing the rivals out there, probably one of the top 3 or 5 venues to play in, and we choose look down in the toilet bowl, probing our own **** to see what we missed. The dumbest fan base in America.

Advertisement
Come 9/22/18 I expect about 10-15% of our fanbase to commit ritual suicide after we destroy FIU.

Love Butch all you want, but he's not a Cane anymore & he's on the schedule, which means you're either on our side or rooting for an enemy.

There's a lot of Coaches & players all around College football that I like & am a fan of for a bunch of different reasons, but I'm a CANE above all. My loyalty & support is to Miami & Miami alone.
Maybe Butch lovers should go support his team, leave us alone to enjoy what we have, without having a thread about Butch every week.

Insert Denzel Washington Boom! gif here

Yeah, and the 80s were a different era than 2000.
One big difference is Howard and Johnson left after winning championships.

No, the big difference is Butch actually got broke off by Cleveland after He left UM, while Howard got fired before He even coached a down for the Spirit Of Miami.

Take away Howard's record at UM and He has a losing record as a College HC, can't say the same about Butch.

Advertisement
Mods, no more Butch threads/posts. Please lock this thread. We have now discussed everything about this subject, including Butch’s hemorrhoids. It’s been nearly 2 decades since he was here, for Godsakes! We need to move on.

No, the big difference is Butch actually got broke off by Cleveland after He left UM, while Howard got fired before He even coached a down for the Spirit Of Miami.

Take away Howard's record at UM and He has a losing record as a College HC, can't say the same about Butch.

Howard built two major programs and got FAU off the ground, hence why his record is awful. Coaches that take rebuilding jobs tend to have iffy records, because you aren't going to turn around a disaster overnight. Wade Phillips has a significantly higher winning percentage than Bill Parcells, does that mean Wade is a superior coach? Of course not, Bill built teams up, and took losses along the way. Butch inherited a team that was about to go on probation, but had also been among the nation's best before then, and recruits were still lining up to come. Compare that to a guy like Howard, who took over a Miami program that was on no one's radar. Lou Saban kept the program alive, but it was still on life support when Howard showed up.

Advertisement
Agree 100%, but my point was if some are gonna crap on Butch for leaving UM prematurely, then the same applies to Schnells.

Fundamental difference between Howard and Butch, Howard wasn't running around screaming about how he was married to the program. It was known that Howard wanted to coach at the pro level, the only reason he took the Miami job to begin with was that his wife pointed out that his chances of being an NFL HC again were unlikely, even if he stayed on the Dolphins staff. Never mind the fact that he had started to clash with the administration. A coach getting a chance at part ownership of a professional team(The USFL was still seen as a league with a future at the time), in an era in which most coaches didn't make the astronomical salaries they do now was enticing.

Butch was given **** near everything he wanted, and STILL left. Not only did he leave, he left for the fresh out of expansion Cleveland Browns.

You've made clear that Butch is good at talent evaluation...about 100 times. What you gloss over is that he needs to be the head coach of the most recent 4 time National Championship program in the country in a hotbed of talent with no video existing on the internet to do so.
Bottomli
Howard built two major programs and got FAU off the ground, hence why his record is awful. Coaches that take rebuilding jobs tend to have iffy records, because you aren't going to turn around a disaster overnight. Wade Phillips has a significantly higher winning percentage than Bill Parcells, does that mean Wade is a superior coach? Of course not, Bill built teams up, and took losses along the way. Butch inherited a team that was about to go on probation, but had also been among the nation's best before then, and recruits were still lining up to come. Compare that to a guy like Howard, who took over a Miami program that was on no one's radar. Lou Saban kept the program alive, but it was still on life support when Howard showed up.
Stop it....Recruits were NOT lining up at UM after 94....Erickson was a NOTORIOUSLY terrible recruiter....Said he didn't like it many times.....

Fundamental difference between Howard and Butch, Howard wasn't running around screaming about how he was married to the program. It was known that Howard wanted to coach at the pro level, the only reason he took the Miami job to begin with was that his wife pointed out that his chances of being an NFL HC again were unlikely, even if he stayed on the Dolphins staff. Never mind the fact that he had started to clash with the administration. A coach getting a chance at part ownership of a professional team(The USFL was still seen as a league with a future at the time), in an era in which most coaches didn't make the astronomical salaries they do now was enticing.

Butch was given **** near everything he wanted, and STILL left. Not only did he leave, he left for the fresh out of expansion Cleveland Browns.
And put them immediately in the Playoffs....How dare he...

Advertisement
Back