What if Butch Davis would've stayed at Miami? (Article)

I guess we are going to forget that Butch was beyond awful on game day.

I remember, I also remember JJ going 8-5 with a team that won the NC the year before.

I guess we are going to forget that odds are Butch wouldn't have been able to work his magic with underrated recruits as often, once the internet and scouting services took a lot of the mystery out of recruiting.

LOL...He's working His magic now, just coached FIU to their most successful season since 2011...and He got 2 4* DTs.

Advertisement
I think so....He should've played & beat OU....would've Won 2001

And yet he didn't. Why? Oh right. Because Butch Davis...when given players like Santana Moss, Reggie Wayne, Najeh Davenport, Al Blades, Ed Reed, Phillip Buchanon, and Dan Morgan (amongst others) LOST. LOST to !@#$ing Washington. $#@$ing WASHINGTON.

Yes. It's true that even "Da Gawd" Butch Davis can LOSE with NFL caliber talent. It HAPPENED and it would have happened again. End of story.

I think where you've lost perspective is your defense of him leaving, I don't see anyone questioning his ability, at that time, to lead, and build the program. You really can't come on here and expect most to defend his actions.
Quatro....your an intelligent dude...that's evident...unfortunately I will defend him....I never said I was not upset with him leaving...I most certainly was....But as I said earlier,...as time went on (2001-2004) I realized that it was UM in fact that made a mistake.....You honestly think Butch wouldn't have done better than Coker...Onion or Golden??.....or how bout Alvarez and his F-ing Lethargic Big10 3-4 Defense???.....I can sorta understand people being upset with Butch....but at the same time I feel UM could've done more on their end...especially since Butch more than held up his end of the bargain.....Thats all.....

And yet he didn't. Why? Oh right. Because Butch Davis...when given players like Santana Moss, Reggie Wayne, Najeh Davenport, Al Blades, Ed Reed, Phillip Buchanon, and Dan Morgan (amongst others) LOST. LOST to !@#$ing Washington. $#@$ing WASHINGTON.

Yes. It's true that even "Da Gawd" Butch Davis can LOSE with NFL caliber talent. It HAPPENED and it would have happened again. End of story.
He lost because of Portis's fumble....Butch should've held in to it better....I'm still livid at him holding the ball like that....

Advertisement

WHEN GIVEN??.....Who the F do you think recruited them???.....17 MF-ing 1st Rounders from 2001-2004....25 from 95-2004....

He lost because of Portis's fumble....Butch should've held in to it better....I'm still livid at him holding the ball like that....
You act like UW was some chump team...They were REAL good....so much so...they had a VERY legitimate gripe not playing OU......Bottomline is....Portis doesn't fumble...We Win....you CANNOT hold Butch accountable for that.....Davenport getting hurt was crippling....

I remember, I also remember JJ going 8-5 with a team that won the NC the year before.

LOL...He's working His magic now, just coached FIU to their most successful season since 2011...and He got 2 4* DTs.

He's doing the football equivalent of a magic show at a west palm bar mitzvah.

OK I think we finally understand what you're saying here. This is pointless.

ONLY YOU know the truth and regardless of any other facts, videos, actual recorded events or other information sources presented ...even if its from you,... YOUR narrative is the ONLY narrative ....

Poor ol Butch got a raw deal, he was forced to leave by that mean bad UM ..even though the contract included everything he wanted ..except the buyout.........and you'll keep repeating it until everyone sees it your way.

Facts, history, actual events and other sources be Damned. And WOW you even have some secret info...OOoohh! AAHhhhhh!!....I LOVE IT!!

OK WE UNDERSTAND NOW.....only YOU know the truth, and there is only ONE way to feel about Butch :rolleyes:........ so thanks for giving us your totally unbiased viewpoint on this and running this crazy one man zone defense against anyone with anything negative to say about Butch.

He'd be proud of you......until he got a better offer

Good boy!!!

Advertisement
Jesus, enough already.

The guy’s at FIU.

He did great thing recruiting and resurrecting the program. Respect. Thanks. I appreciate what he did. If he ever becomes affiliated with the program again, I’ll support him, the same way I supported him when he was here.

But he’s not the coach any more. He’s at FIU. The rest is just supposition and guessing. Those are the facts.

Otherwise, I don’t wish him him any ill or bad luck except when we play them, after that, I’ll stop thinking about him again, like before.

Jesus, enough already.

The guy’s at FIU.

He did great thing recruiting and resurrecting the program. Respect. Thanks. I appreciate what he did. If he ever becomes affiliated with the program again, I’ll support him, the same way I supported him when he was here.

But he’s not the coach any more. He’s at FIU. The rest is just supposition and guessing. Those are the facts.

Otherwise, I don’t wish him him any ill or bad luck except when we play them, after that, I’ll stop thinking about him again, like before.

Couldn't have said it better. Let this die. He's not here and UM's not having him back. I wish him well except when he plays us

I'm not ready to read about an obsessed fan being hospitalized after running marathon one man zone defense for him

Now .....Hey how bout those 2018 Canes??!!

Last edited:

ONLY YOU know the truth and regardless of any other facts, videos, actual recorded events or other information sources presented ...even if its from you,... YOUR narrative is the ONLY narrative ....

Poor ol Butch got a raw deal, he was forced to leave by that mean bad UM ..even though the contract included everything he wanted ..except the buyout.........and you'll keep repeating it until everyone sees it your way.

Facts, history, actual events and other sources be Damned. And WOW you even have some secret info...OOoohh! AAHhhhhh!!....I LOVE IT!!

OK WE UNDERSTAND NOW.....only YOU know the truth, and there is only ONE way to feel about Butch :rolleyes:........ so thanks for giving us your totally unbiased viewpoint on this and running this crazy one man zone defense against anyone with ainything negative to say about Butch.

Good boy!!!

LOL...you really don't get it, do you?

Let me help you out...if you worked for a Company A making say $100K, then Company B comes along and offers you more money, would you pay Company A $100K to leave?

Advertisement

OK WE UNDERSTAND NOW.....only YOU know the truth, and there is only ONE way to feel about Butch :rolleyes:........ so thanks for giving us your totally unbiased viewpoint on this and running this crazy one man zone defense against anyone with anything negative to say about Butch.

Good boy!!!
Great post. You nailed it.

[Q
LOL...you really don't get it, do you?

Let me help you out...if you worked for a Company A making say $100K, then Company B comes along and offers you more money, would you pay Company A $100K to leave?

I totally get it. You're making my point

If it is my intent is to stay with Company A and I'm as loyal as I profess to be, and I'm satisfied with everything they are offering me for the term of that contract........ Why do I care about a buyout?

It's only an issue if I'm planning to leave before the contract expires.....even then if company B really wants me they'll pay the buyout. That is what usually happens.

Most coaches with LT contracts have buyout clauses included ...it's certainly nothing unusual. His wasn't the 1st and certainly hasn't been the last

NOW if I'm a Slippery SOB, only looking to leverage Company A's offer into a bigger one elsewhere, down the road ...then I do care about it to some extent. There is certainly nothing wrong with looking out ONLY for number 1.

You can't have it both ways ...he either wanted to stay or this was just a temporary stop for him. Doesn't matter to me, it was his choice to make. But stop with the he got a raw deal BS.

Can't be clearer than that

NOW Hey how bout those 2018 Canes??!!

Last edited:
[Q

This is my last response to this thread

I totally get it. You're making my point

If it is my intent is to stay with Company A, and I'm satisfied with everything they are offering me for the term of that contract. Why do I care about a buyout?

It's only an issue if I'm planning to leave before the contract expires.....even then if company B really wants me they'll pay the buyout. That is what usually happens.

Most coaches with LT contracts have buyout clauses it's nothing unusual. His wasn't the 1st and certainly hasn't been the last

Can't be clearer than that

NOW Hey how bout those 2018 Canes??!!
Thank God I'm rich and you have nothing to do with my Portfolio....LoL

Advertisement
Quatro....your an intelligent dude...that's evident...unfortunately I will defend him....I never said I was not upset with him leaving...I most certainly was....But as I said earlier,...as time went on (2001-2004) I realized that it was UM in fact that made a mistake.....You honestly think Butch wouldn't have done better than Coker...Onion or Golden??.....or how bout Alvarez and his F-ing Lethargic Big10 3-4 Defense???.....I can sorta understand people being upset with Butch....but at the same time I feel UM could've done more on their end...especially since Butch more than held up his end of the bargain.....Thats all.....
No one said Butch wasn't lite years ahead of the 3 that followed.
Did you hear him on the Hank Goldberg show?
He said go get his lawyer, he would sign on the show, laughing that it would be a first.
Three day later, Gone,, like a cool summer breeze..

Butch might have won a NC or two, or maybe even three, at The U. I think he would have left for the NFL soon enough. He was an assistant on JJ’s SB teams and he would wanted the opportunity to HC in the NFL. Especially if he won championships at Miami.

I do not criticize Davis for leaving. My issue was he knew (he says) he was leaving a couple of NCs on the table. If he ‘knew’ this why not win them, and then move on? If he was a HC commodity after 2000 he could have named his price after a winning a few rings at Miami. He would have had other opportunities than Cleveland.

Next question: What if JJ had stayed?

Lets
Butch might have won a NC or two, or maybe even three, at The U. I think he would have left for the NFL soon enough. He was an assistant on JJ’s SB teams and he would wanted the opportunity to HC in the NFL. Especially if he won championships at Miami.

I do not criticize Davis for leaving. My issue was he knew (he says) he was leaving a couple of NCs on the table. If he ‘knew’ this why not win them, and then move on? If he was a HC commodity after 2000 he could have named his price after a winning a few rings at Miami. He would have had other opportunities than Cleveland.

Next question: What if JJ had stayed?
If JJ stays Templar...we have 10 NCs...
Btw Templar...Good to hear from you...haven't spoken with you since the Old Grassy days....Hope all is well...

Advertisement
Back