What I would like to see from the team this year!

CanesGotSWAG!

Thunderdome
Over the last 5 years we have lost to multiple unranked teams every year. I would like to see that change this year. That is a good measure to see how much the team has improved. I would also like for us not to struggle in 80 percent of these games win or lose. It is time we start winning the Virginia and UNC type games by double digits. I think it is too much to expect to beat teams like FSU and Florida at this point until the team proves otherwise. These two teams are the only clear cut better squads we face this year on paper IMO.

Advertisement
I would love it if we could stop a **** rushing QB. It has been years. I don't think it will be this year, aside from UF game.

I would like to see both lines dominate at the point of attack. If that happens i don't have no worries.

My top ten (not in order of importance):

1. Not lose games which are toss ups (i.e. Virginia and UNC) and not make "very winnable" games close match-ups (i.e. Duke). If we do this, then we will go 10-2 or 11-1 (this is my prediction).

2. Consistency from game to game, even with softer opponents.

3. Consistency within games. No taking the 3rd quarter off or waiting for the end of the game to make dramatic, game-winning plays (cf. NCST and GT last year).

4. Increase turnovers and sacks on the defense. 2 sacks per game and an average of 1.5 turnovers per game would be good.

5. Significantly better run defense.

6. Significantly better red zone offense. Some of this was, IMHO, play calling.

7. Significantly fewer drop passes.

8. Blow out teams in the first half that we should blow out (i.e. FAU, Savannah St.) so that we can "rest" and give game experience to second and third teams.

9. Continue (and improve) our good special teams play.

10.No game should be big enough for any of our two-deep rotation (i.e. Norte Dame, KSU).

Advertisement
I'd love to see us stop a TE from catching balls up the middle for 20+ yard gains all day.

I'm really skeptical about this year because of the defensive issues. We had 5 bad years in a row so you really can't give the squad the benefit of the doubt like back in the day.

1. Not lose games which are toss ups (i.e. Virginia and UNC) and not make "very winnable" games close match-ups (i.e. Duke). If we do this, then we will go 10-2 or 11-1 (this is my prediction).

3. Consistency within games. No taking the 3rd quarter off or waiting for the end of the game to make dramatic, game-winning plays (cf. NCST and GT last year).

4. Increase turnovers and sacks on the defense. 2 sacks per game and an average of 1.5 turnovers per game would be good.

8. Blow out teams in the first half that we should blow out (i.e. FAU, Savannah St.) so that we can "rest" and give game experience to second and third teams.

10.No game should be big enough for any of our two-deep rotation (i.e. Norte Dame, KSU).

The team really hasn't played well on both sides of the ball for a full 4 Qtrs in a long time.

Advertisement
All of that, but more importantly, I would love to see us consistently win individual battles at favorable matchups from the defense.

I would also like to see us beat a team that we shouldn't. Florida coming up would be a great one. Although, if we beat Florida and lost to 3 Virginia type team, that would be worse than losing to Florida.

Advertisement
613.jpg

Defense has a lot of question marks but we need to see some improvement this year regardless. While the excuses up to this point have been fairly legitimate, IMO, at some point D'Onofrio needs to find a way to make it work. On offense I want to see more consistency in run blocking/short yardage situations. These guys are too big and too experienced to be anything less than dominant up front.

Advertisement

Great pts especially, 1,2,4, &5!!!!

Advertisement
Back