What I like about the upcoming team

Gaines really could've used a 'shirt to build stregnth and get used to the change in competition level. He's exactly the type of guy you can see having a major jump in production in his 3rd year.

Advertisement
Gaines really could've used a 'shirt to build stregnth and get used to the change in competition level. He's exactly the type of guy you can see having a major jump in production in his 3rd year.

we have a couple guys i wish we could have shirted

For some reason... I think Gaines issue is position change... I dont think he was ready to play middle linebacker last year... Of course a shirt would have helped... Too be honest we should have been shirting players since 08 but never had the luxury too... But for some reason I think we placed a lot of responsibilities on him at a young age and he was overwhelmed at times... I really liked Gaines and Cain, but both had some development issues... I liked Cain at middle because I think he is a bit familiar with playing it but he is just too weak... He is always one of the first players to the ball... sideline to sideline player but he was extremely weak these past 2 years... Gaines issue was the competition as well as learning a new position... Rarely do you have a young player start at middle backer... I think he showed potential on the outside but the middle was too much for him to comprehend especially coming from NY where he was just the best athlete on the field... I would like to see him back on the outside and which I believe will happen with Perryman playing the middle this year (if I'm correct)...

Gaines is awful. if a younger guy doesn't take his spot, that is not a good sign.

now, he could improve of course, but I just didn't see anything promising out of him last year. dude looked slow, small, weak, and lost

I just thought he was out of position. He's a downhill guy who was swimming as a MLB. Put him at SLB and let him be physical and attack. Fits better at SLB than Buchanon to me (although i'm just not high on Buchanon overall).

and what I like about the team. Is actually the depth and speed at LB. I think it will give us a chance to be more creative with our looks. Hopefully the DC is up to the challenge.

Advertisement
We know a little bit about Morris. He was handpicked to be the sole QB in his class by Mark Whipple, he has a CANON arm,
I don't think Morris was handpicked by Whipple. I think we struck out on our first 7 prospects and settled on Morris. Don't get me wrong Morris has all the intangibles he's just a turnover machine just like Berlin, Wright, Freeman, Marve and Jacory. The bad thing about Morris was that he was forced to play too early. I think that may have stumped his growth a little bit, but at the same time he did gain some valuable experience in the process so it's a toss up. I really hope Fisch can bring out the best in him, it's going to be tough with our pedestrian receivers at least early on.

Morris wasn't even Whipple's first choice of plan C three star guys, Joe Brennan was.

Yea we went after quite a few qbs before Morris... But I'm happy we have him and hopefully he'll do fine... He stil has 2 more years including this year...

The key to our season is going to be the overall health of our team. We're still about another year away from having the type of QUALITY depth we need. Right now, we have a bunch of freshmen providing us with depth. Ideally, we need to be at the point where we have redshirt guys, guys who have been in the program at least a year, providing us with depth. Regardless, here's my take:

1.) I like Morris and always have as a QB. I think he is and will prove to be a much better QB than Jacory simply by the fact that our offense will be able to do more bc of his arm and athleticism. This is his team. I think he'll prove to be a pleasant surprise.

2.) I'm not particularly enamored by our run game this year. Duke is a freshman and will provide us with some highlight reel plays, but he's still a frosh. I don't think James or Clements are special, though I do like Clements. It's a **** shame we don't have Storm Johnson.

3.) At WR, Dorsett will have to step up, but I am worried about the rest of the guys. I don't trust the freshmen to step in and be major players. I think we have nothing of significance at TE. If Dorsett plays well and we get Lockhart or one of the new guys to make plays, then we'll be lucky.

4.) I like our Oline. I think they have a chance to be real good.

5.) On defense, we just don't have quality depth. I wonder how many guys are going to be able to rotate in effectively along the line. I actually like where we are at LB and hope that we have enough depth there should something happen.

6.) I think we're in deep isht at CB and at safety. Ray Ray is a liability. I think Telemaque is average.

The key to our season is going to be the overall health of our team. We're still about another year away from having the type of QUALITY depth we need. Right now, we have a bunch of freshmen providing us with depth. Ideally, we need to be at the point where we have redshirt guys, guys who have been in the program at least a year, providing us with depth. Regardless, here's my take:

1.) I like Morris and always have as a QB. I think he is and will prove to be a much better QB than Jacory simply by the fact that our offense will be able to do more bc of his arm and athleticism. This is his team. I think he'll prove to be a pleasant surprise.

2.) I'm not particularly enamored by our run game this year. Duke is a freshman and will provide us with some highlight reel plays, but he's still a frosh. I don't think James or Clements are special, though I do like Clements. It's a **** shame we don't have Storm Johnson.

3.) At WR, Dorsett will have to step up, but I am worried about the rest of the guys. I don't trust the freshmen to step in and be major players. I think we have nothing of significance at TE. If Dorsett plays well and we get Lockhart or one of the new guys to make plays, then we'll be lucky.

5.) On defense, we just don't have quality depth. I wonder how many guys are going to be able to rotate in effectively along the line. I actually like where we are at LB and hope that we have enough depth there should something happen.

6.) I think we're in deep isht at CB and at safety. Ray Ray is a liability. I think Telemaque is average.

push up in the front 4 could turn deep **** into interceptions. it all starts in the trenches. we cant give the opposing offense so much space that they can take a 1 or 3 step drop and fire to a wide open receiver 5 yards away with room to break. We need to pressure the WR's in hopes the D can get a push on the qb. If we are covering for 1 or 2 seconds, we will be a good secondary. If we are covering for 3 or 4 more seconds we will get our **** pushed in every 3rd down.

Agree with pretty much everything but WR. Hurns is solid and has the work ethic to make another jump. Dorsett runs a 4.3, catches the ball and has a good head on his shoulders. I expect to see some real nice chemistry between him and Morris (it's already there on Greentree). Scott brings a different element with his YAC ability and size.

Dallas Crawford is a hard-worker and good football player who can contribute in the slot, and Malcolm Lewis has the background and game to contribute early. I also like Walford and Cleveland more than you do-- I think they'll eventually become the top TE group in the ACC. If the top 3 receivers can stay healthy, this will emerge as a strong group of pass-catchers.

Advertisement
Clements is a lot better than you guys think. I really like how he runs and believe he will lead the team in rushing.

Clements is a lot better than you guys think. I really like how he runs and believe he will lead the team in rushing.

Agree with this. OT has always run well when given a chance. He admitted that he hadn't worked as hard as he needed to until now, and with the carries available now that LM is gone, he could really emerge as a lead back.

I am pretty optimistic about the TEs to be honest.

I am more wait and see with the WRs. seen this too many times with so and so blowing up in practice only to disappear on Sat.

Hurns is the only one who has remotely shown that he can contribute consistently, but he has some limitations and obviously cannot be the only guy that steps up

With everyone in the system for a 2nd year things will improve. Do they improve for a big difference in wins and losses? We shall see, but most likely not.

Morris should do well if he is 100% from the back injury. He needs to protect the ball better.

RB, we should be OK. We have 3 guys to carry the rock. Won't be any superstars out there right away but we shouldn't be that bad.

WR Dorsett seems to be on the verge of stepping up big time. We still have Hurns who played well at times last year. Scott, KT and the incoming frosh can be decent backups. Thin but not void of talent.

TE's no idea what to expect. Just hope these guys are up for the challenge and make plays.

OL is experienced and should be better now that they are actually getting stronger. Give SM time to throw and open some lanes for the backs and life will be good.

DL again has talent but can they stay healthy and get to the QB better?

LB I am thinking this is a strength of the team. These guys are gonna be hard hitters and run everything down. Love this group.

Secondary is gonna have to rely on the youngins, cause this unit is not that good. Hopefully the DLine getting to the QB and better schemes can help this unit out.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back