What I like about the upcoming team

Advertisement
This team needs a great qb. Miami will not return to greatness until this need is met. This is a 7-5 team.

Offseason sucks. I was talking football all day at work though and it really got me thinking about the upcoming season. Anyway, with the bounce of the ball unknown thus far, alot can happen this year.

First of all, noone... and I mean NOONE including us Cane fans expect Miami to win any more then 7 or 8 games this year, and 9 is really really pushing it. However, judging by the way the schedule plays out and the utter weakness of the conference, most importantly within our own division, this team really has a chance to go to the title game. They have to take on the cliche us against the world mentality and take the fact that nobody in the galaxy expects the canes to do a **** THING and they really have to use that to drive them. It starts with Stephen Morris.

We know a little bit about Morris. He was handpicked to be the sole QB in his class by Mark Whipple, he has a CANON arm, he is inexperienced at the college level and he has already lost us a couple of games on bonehead throws (VT 2 years ago, I was there with a great vantage point... worst throw I have ever seen live, Maryland last year), and so on. Some things we dont know however such as the strides he has made from game one last year to RIGHT NOW and through the summer and fall. How well he has developed under Fisch and Golden, and how well he knows the playbook. If Morris has a very good-great year and doesnt turn the ball over, the canes could win every game on the schedule.

The Freshmen - Duke Johnson, Malcolm Lewis, Robert Lockhart, Jelani Hamilton, Raphael Kirby, Bush, Howard, Hope and so on and so on... this team is going to be very very young, but these freshmen step up and look out.

The defense - I have a real real good feeling about it. If we come out game one and our CBs are 7 yards off of the receivers, I will immediately no longer feel good about it. If we come out pressing, that means Coach D and Golden have the confidence with this D to play ball.

Special Teams game - We are going to be much improved on special teams.

This team could win anywhere from 6 games to 10... the median probably being the most realistic, but with all the down-trodden on the team and the black cloud that has been hanging over for a stretch, DONT COUNT OUT these young canes. See you guys in September.

I am at a complete loss as to why you "have a real [sic] good feeling about" our defense. Our secondary is thin as can be and inexperienced, and our DL appears to be very underwhelming, if last year is any guide. It's one thing to hope for the best; quite another to realistically anticipate success, given the lack of talent on this team.

Offseason sucks. I was talking football all day at work though and it really got me thinking about the upcoming season. Anyway, with the bounce of the ball unknown thus far, alot can happen this year.

First of all, noone... and I mean NOONE including us Cane fans expect Miami to win any more then 7 or 8 games this year, and 9 is really really pushing it. However, judging by the way the schedule plays out and the utter weakness of the conference, most importantly within our own division, this team really has a chance to go to the title game. They have to take on the cliche us against the world mentality and take the fact that nobody in the galaxy expects the canes to do a **** THING and they really have to use that to drive them. It starts with Stephen Morris.

We know a little bit about Morris. He was handpicked to be the sole QB in his class by Mark Whipple, he has a CANON arm, he is inexperienced at the college level and he has already lost us a couple of games on bonehead throws (VT 2 years ago, I was there with a great vantage point... worst throw I have ever seen live, Maryland last year), and so on. Some things we dont know however such as the strides he has made from game one last year to RIGHT NOW and through the summer and fall. How well he has developed under Fisch and Golden, and how well he knows the playbook. If Morris has a very good-great year and doesnt turn the ball over, the canes could win every game on the schedule.

The Freshmen - Duke Johnson, Malcolm Lewis, Robert Lockhart, Jelani Hamilton, Raphael Kirby, Bush, Howard, Hope and so on and so on... this team is going to be very very young, but these freshmen step up and look out.

The defense - I have a real real good feeling about it. If we come out game one and our CBs are 7 yards off of the receivers, I will immediately no longer feel good about it. If we come out pressing, that means Coach D and Golden have the confidence with this D to play ball.

Special Teams game - We are going to be much improved on special teams.

This team could win anywhere from 6 games to 10... the median probably being the most realistic, but with all the down-trodden on the team and the black cloud that has been hanging over for a stretch, DONT COUNT OUT these young canes. See you guys in September.

I am at a complete loss as to why you "have a real [sic] good feeling about" our defense. Our secondary is thin as can be and inexperienced, and our DL appears to be very underwhelming, if last year is any guide. It's one thing to hope for the best; quite another to realistically anticipate success, given the lack of talent on this team.

Half of our fanbase are living in the 80s. Having a U on the helmet automatically means success.

Our defense is horrible until proven otherwise.

All three levels of the defense were ****-poor. We couldn't stop the run, rush the passer, cover, or turn the ball over. We basically just hung on for dear life most games.

I expect to see improvement due to a greater emphasis on strength & conditioning, and the overall culture of the team.

But this defense is another season away from being good, IMO.

Advertisement
im not saying we are going to have a top 15 defense...

what I am saying is that it should be one **** of a turnaround. if progression continued there shouldnt be a reason why we arent on another level from last year. last year we were tired late in the game, beat up, thin with no depth.

We shall see.

Well, you guys are going to make me DBC the *** out! I think this team will win the coastal this year! I am not calling for mnc of even winning the acc but we will get the division this year. Here is why IMO:
Offensively:
I think SM will make more progress than JH. I have said this over and over that he was like a lil bro to JH, and now that big bro is gone he is looking to truly step up and make this team his. I think if you read between the lines he has already done this and that is why spring was just a chance for one of the three to compete against SM.
I believe that Mike James will go for 1000 yards this year, clements will get about 600 and a few hundo out of Duke. With Duke also returning kicks, and playing some slot.
The WR will be just fine barring any major injuries, the Freshman will only be counted on if there are injuries. PD will break out big time as will R.Scott.
OL will be the force we all believe they can be, there are enough big uglies in there buying into what AG is selling that they will be good.
Defensively:
I think DP will be better than SS this year! And I love me some SS, but I think DP will be bigger and actually shows as much of a nose for the ball. I honestly think Gaines steps up BIG this year. Do not forget how young that cat is. I also think Kirby gets some burn. All in all this will be one of the better lb units we have fielded in a while.
I think the DL will hold its own with us struggling a bit at DE.
I think the DBs will be much improved, I think RR will be the man this year. He has bought in to the program and is working hard. I think that cb is one spot a frosh could actually come in and hold his own and I would not be one bit surprised if TH did just that.

With all the kids brought in in the last two recruiting cycles at LB and DB we will have plenty of guys to run fast and hit hard! Specials will be above average. Our K and P are both pretty dang good. And we will have someone special returning kicks! The DUUUUKKKKKKEEEEEEE!!!!! (or PD)
I cant help but wear my O&G glasses!!!!

i guess you guys didnt watch the games after bethune cookman

Uh, yeah. I did.

We couldn't get off the field in at least three more games (VTech, UVA, BC).

Our defense went from "gouge your eyes out" to "just plain bad".

I think we'll see progression, but I'm not counting on a quantum leap. We still don't have difference-makers at DT (Porter is a nice player, but he's injury-prone). We have some prospects at DE, but they're all REALLY young. It's gonna take them a few years of S&C to make a big impact, IMO.

Perryman looks like a player at LB, but what else is there? Cookie is coming off a knee injury, and if we're being honest he was never really more than a JAG when healthy. Jimmy Gaines is awful. Everyone else is inexperienced.

The secondary is a circus. Both Ray Ray and Telemaque have the deadly combination of being slow-footed as well as slow to diagnose plays. None of our corners have done anything. Finnie might be the best of the lot simply because he can tackle.

There's talent on defense, but it's so raw and inexperienced. I can't get too excited.

Last edited:
Advertisement
CAA is just spewing the stuff he reads in his football preview mags.

Ill give you the fact that our safety's are atrocious. But Gaines awful? Come on. Dude was raw last year. I like our linebacker corp with Gaines, perryman, an experienced Buchanan with Kirby and Williams and Paul as well. Our lbs will be better as a whole even with the loss of Spence.

Since some mod deleted my post, I'll say it again. I don't want to hear about the OL being a strength of the team in 2012. We heard the same thing all of last offseason.

Advertisement
Ill give you the fact that our safety's are atrocious. But Gaines awful? Come on. Dude was raw last year. I like our linebacker corp with Gaines, perryman, an experienced Buchanan with Kirby and Williams and Paul as well. Our lbs will be better as a whole even with the loss of Spence.

Gaines was raw last year, and it showed in subpar play. He's not big, he's not fast, and I didn't see any playmaking instincts. The only time we got effective MLB play was when we moved Spence there. I'm hoping LB play will be better (it can't be much worse), but I haven't seen enough to say it definitely will be.

i guess you guys didnt watch the games after bethune cookman

Uh, yeah. I did.

We couldn't get off the field in at least three more games (VTech, UVA, BC).

Our defense went from "gouge your eyes out" to "just plain bad".

I think we'll see progression, but I'm not counting on a quantum leap. We still don't have difference-makers at DT (Porter is a nice player, but he's injury-prone). We have some prospects at DE, but they're all REALLY young. It's gonna take them a few years of S&C to make a big impact, IMO.

Perryman looks like a player at LB, but what else is there? Cookie is coming off a knee injury, and if we're being honest he was never really more than a JAG when healthy. Jimmy Gaines is awful. Everyone else is inexperienced.

The secondary is a circus. Both Ray Ray and Telemaque have the deadly combination of being slow-footed as well as slow to diagnose plays. None of our corners have done anything. Finnie might be the best of the lot simply because he can tackle.

There's talent on defense, but it's so raw and inexperienced. I can't get too excited.

This

Gaines is awful. if a younger guy doesn't take his spot, that is not a good sign.

now, he could improve of course, but I just didn't see anything promising out of him last year. dude looked slow, small, weak, and lost

Advertisement
dudes had a black jersey all spring and summer. some of you guys better let al golden know that he is horrid and doesnt deserve it.

dudes had a black jersey all spring and summer. some of you guys better let al golden know that he is horrid and doesnt deserve it.

well, the jersey thing is a motivational move and it also rewards players for working hard and being team leaders. doesn't mean he is any good on the field.

hey, I hope I'm wrong and he comes out and wrecks shop this year but i doubt it and still think that it would be much better for the team if one of the young guys takes his spot

well, the jersey thing is a motivational move and it also rewards players for working hard and being team leaders. doesn't mean he is any good on the field.

hey, I hope I'm wrong and he comes out and wrecks shop this year but i doubt it and still think that it would be much better for the team if one of the young guys takes his spot

do you remember brandon harris freshmen year? i sure do... ******* hated him. he ended up being All ACC. the jump is there, just give the man time before you say he is no good. You can say Ray Ray and Vaughn suck because they are seniors now. Gaines still has a chance to make an impact.

We know a little bit about Morris. He was handpicked to be the sole QB in his class by Mark Whipple, he has a CANON arm,
I don't think Morris was handpicked by Whipple. I think we struck out on our first 7 prospects and settled on Morris. Don't get me wrong Morris has all the intangibles he's just a turnover machine just like Berlin, Wright, Freeman, Marve and Jacory. The bad thing about Morris was that he was forced to play too early. I think that may have stumped his growth a little bit, but at the same time he did gain some valuable experience in the process so it's a toss up. I really hope Fisch can bring out the best in him, it's going to be tough with our pedestrian receivers at least early on.

Morris wasn't even Whipple's first choice of plan C three star guys, Joe Brennan was.

Advertisement
Back