What I’m Hearing on Miami’s Head Coaching Search - Sunday PM

View as article
Advertisement
We need someone with a offensive mind, brash personality with bravado. Lane Kiffin me..

Absolutely wrong. That is the lazy sloppy conventional wisdom quick-fix route. Everyone wants to contend now. It's the reason we have so many of the dependably loudmouth posters calling for a spread offense. They envision nothing but prancing touchdowns, like South Florida high school games.

The two absolute priorities need to be an elite recruiter who prioritizes a big physical nasty team. Once you have those two aspects in place, then it's amazing how many 50/50 aspects fall your way. Those two aspects are what Nick Saban provides. He is running a more wide open offense now but that is hardly Alabama's essence. Once they lose Tua they can go back to winning the lower scoring championship games.

Miami has issues in recruiting. The lack of an on-campus stadium is more of a problem than virtually anyone is willing to concede. There is a reason we lead the nation every year in late decommits and it is not bags. It is the direct late comparison of one program to all other top programs, once visits are taken. Only a supreme recruiter is going to largely deflect that problem.

However, if he is not prioritizing a big ornery team then it won't mean much of anything. We might have a cute contending team once in a while with a cupcake offensive coach but it will be fragile and misleading like 2017. It has to be the type of team that can line up against the Alabama and Ohio State type programs and hold its own on the line of scrimmage. That is what Georgia has accomplished in short order. It is what Miami needs to emulate.

I'm not saying run nothing but I formation. Have all the modern wrinkles like spread and RPO etc. Unless it is a team whose linemen look like Alabama or Wisconsin, and whose linebackers don't get knocked backward on their *** like Quartermann late in the 4th quarter the other night, then all the prancing touchdowns won't mean a **** thing once the true blue blood programs show up on the schedule. Nick Saban saved college football from its worst instincts. If not for Saban then perhaps every top team would be a cupcake like Lincoln Riley at Oklahoma, caring about 55-52 and nothing else. Fortunately that is not the case.

Hiring Diaz is the equivalent to hiring Shannon (slight improvement) in 2007.

Hiring Cristobal (and paying his $10M) buyout would be an unprecedentedly stupid move for a school that thrives on making stupid athletic decisions.

Advertisement
Don't shoot the messenger, but I'm of the opinion (just my opinion) that if Wario wants the job, it is his.

So Richt does us a solid and leaves without demanding any severance and we go and burn all the money we could be spending on top tier assistants to buy out Mario’s insane contract?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Miami’s search for their next head coach is officially underway. First off, Miami has no monetary obligation to Mark Richt; he did things the right way and completely cut ties with zero severance payments requested. Therefore, I’m told there is more money available to bring in what Blake James said is “the best guy for the job”. A good source tells me that Mario Cristobal has already confirmed his interest in the job with Miami. Another source tells me Manny Diaz reached out this morning just after the news broke to let UM brass know he was interested in the opening. A source inside Hecht tells me there is a segment of the athletic department that is pushing for Diaz and he has at least some internal support.

Blake James did not have a lot for us at the presser and I don’t think he was playing coy. He seemed really blindsided by Richt’s decision this morning and last night the mutual understanding between the two was that changes were necessary on offense, that was it. Richt made this decision late last night/early this morning. As such, a lot more will become clear in the coming days as things develop, and I’ve been told Miami wants this to be a quick search to hit the ground running for the last month of recruiting.
Greatly respect Richt for going out this way. He could have crippled us.

Butch bailed bc he got an nfl job when Miami screwed him on his contract

Mario left Golden for Saban.

Diaz took a HC position.

LMAO at “bailed on Miami”
And more will leave in the future for various reasons. I’m not tied to one particular candidate, but would like to see a thoroughly thought out decision on this.

Advertisement
And to think, I actually thought that we would go with an offensive coach who would bring an innovative/explosive offense to Miami. The fact that all of the candidates that were mentioned in the OP, are nothing of the sort, makes me f'ucking infuriated.

Diaz? For real? Mario? WTF?

No way in ****, these are the top two options. Blake can't be this **** stupid.

Nope. A lot of people said CMR had learned at UGA. That, with SFLA talent, he would kick ***. That he was a QB guru, and on and on. So nice try at fluffing your feathers like you know what you’re talking about. Being forceful with your opinion doesn’t make you right, although, I respect your right to have your own opinion, but it’s only yours.

You said nothing.

Advertisement
Back