What I’m Hearing on Miami’s Head Coaching Search - Sunday PM

View as article
Miami’s search for their next head coach is officially underway. First off, Miami has no monetary obligation to Mark Richt; he did things the right way and completely cut ties with zero severance payments requested. Therefore, I’m told there is more money available to bring in what Blake James said is “the best guy for the job”. A good source tells me that Mario Cristobal has already confirmed his interest in the job with Miami. Another source tells me Manny Diaz reached out this morning just after the news broke to let UM brass know he was interested in the opening. A source inside Hecht tells me there is a segment of the athletic department that is pushing for Diaz and he has at least some internal support.

Blake James did not have a lot for us at the presser and I don’t think he was playing coy. He seemed really blindsided by Richt’s decision this morning and last night the mutual understanding between the two was that changes were necessary on offense, that was it. Richt made this decision late last night/early this morning. As such, a lot more will become clear in the coming days as things develop, and I’ve been told Miami wants this to be a quick search to hit the ground running for the last month of recruiting.

It’s time to make that name, Stef. I got a big vision for you. First, tell Blake to slow the fvck down. Then, bring the heat. We don’t want to see you ending up at some third rate “sports agency”. We see ESPN in your future, bro. Time to make it happen.

Advertisement
I like the energy Diaz possesses and how he seems to relate (Turnover chain) to the kids BUT hiring him to me is running it up the gut on 3rd and 2 ala handing the reins over to Coker and Shannon

Advertisement
Mario worked with Saban the best coach ever in college football that's a huge plus. Mario might be able to keep the South Florida kids home, probably the best hire we could have right now. We cant swing and miss on local talent anymore. Ok maybe not the best hire right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
No to Diaz, too soon. Bring me cristobal or Lane Kiffin over him.

You want to stop losing elite recruits and winning those type of recruitments? Go get cristobal who is a pitbull recruiter and one of the best of the business. You want passion? He definitely has it In coaching and recruiting

Yo bork, why would you prefer two dudes that lee failing their way up and exhibit no real specialty expertise over a dude that consistently fields the best product possible?

Diaz has no allegiance to any of the offensive coaches. He knows better than anyone that his defenses with a beast OC are championship caliber.

Experience as HC on resume as required canddidate box to check is so overrated. Kirby Smart, Dabo and Lincoln Riley both has no previous HC experience. Jimbo and Bob Stoops had no HC experience when the took over FSU and Oklahoma respectively.

I don't think Diaz would be a terrible hire. He has nothing to do with the awful QB play and offense disaster. I am not interested in blowing up both sides of the ball. Offense has tons of talent at WR, TE and RB. We need a new offensive staff. Diaz salary and no need to bring in expensive DC would give the program a war chest for OC and staff

Don't shoot the messenger, but I'm of the opinion (just my opinion) that if Wario wants the job, it is his.

Advertisement
Absolutely can not settle for anybody. Richt walked away and left his buyout on the table. Use it to pay somebody else’s buyout. Finally time to ante up and pay for big time guys

Advertisement
For you BBB ***aloons from Manny's Athletic article ....

"Although Davis had a groundswell of support from former players and boosters, he “bombed the interview” when he blew off questions about the NCAA’s probe into improper benefits given to players when he was the coach at North Carolina. "
They'll stay in mediocrity with Mario Goldenbal or diaz

No it isn't. No one said CMR learned a lot under Saban, that he would kick the **** out of the OL, or was there great confidence in CMR's Def. Coord. selection. When Diaz was hired, a BUNCH of people on this board didn't like the hire because of his past years coaching specifically at Texas.

So, nice try. CMR is gone. You should move on too.
Nope. A lot of people said CMR had learned at UGA. That, with SFLA talent, he would kick ***. That he was a QB guru, and on and on. So nice try at fluffing your feathers like you know what you’re talking about. Being forceful with your opinion doesn’t make you right, although, I respect your right to have your own opinion, but it’s only yours.

I like the Rex Ryan smoke. He knows how to assemble a staff and would coach our boys hard!! He's a savage on/off the field and runs in the same coaching tree with Nick Saban. Think he would be a good recruiter as well..
The problem I'd have with him is the same problem I have with everyone who has the bulk of their experience in the pro game. I always question how they'll react to the ridiculousness that is recruiting. I just can't see Rex Ryan having the slightest enthusiasm for recruiting and the idea of kissing some 17 year old kid's ***.

Advertisement
Manny will be name mentioned until any of his buddies get hired at Temple. Be just like Miami to hire Diaz keep same staff and then get a oc.

Advertisement
Back