What has happened to the LB position?

Advertisement
It's an odd one. Moving Smith to LB was a good move.

I don't really care about size at LB in College - I'd love to have NFL prospects there, but right now I'm happy to settle for productive College players. Give me speed, instincts and tackling ability.

I think he's been unlucky with the slew of injuries we've had at the position - but then Jennings still sees the field when I could beat him to the edge, so I can't really give Diaz too much leeway there.
Agreed. Ravaged by injuries and faced with light guy can get there but not tackle, heavier can’t get there to make the tackle…. ****ed

One time the cry was can he play dt? The d line was woeful, we lost a substantial amount of games because of it. Now the last 3 years have been about poor LB play and we have gotten rocked because of that. Next it will be poor DB play with dbs looking like they still belong in high school. Watch!!

I told you all that this would happen after the game. The noise will get louder as the season progresses.

Advertisement
I've tried to be supportive of Manny, but I've seen enough of him now where I'd prefer that he's gone after this year. That being said, one of the best moves he's made since being here was bringing in T-Rob as it's already started to pay huge dividends in recruiting. Obviously, we can talk ad-nauseum about how far our O-Line play has fallen over the last 10-15 years, but the most glaring thing to me these last two years is how horrendous our LB's are. I'm watching Jennings,etc. last night thinking....Really? This is how bad we've gotten at this position? If we're stuck with Manny a while longer we've got to do something about the LB position, and pronto.
I am not excusing Bubba Bolden’s targeting call as that’s on him but a missed tackle 4-5 yards earlier on a bad angle by, you guessed it, Jennings, led to that play that Bubba got ejected.

I hate everything about this defensive scheme and the lack of linebackers & recruiting of this position.

I told you all that this would happen after the game. The noise will get louder as the season progresses.
In fairness, people have been making noise or waiting for any reason to start again for 3 years for Manny.

mall kiosk jewelermall kiosk jewelermall kiosk jewelermall kiosk jewelermall kiosk jeweler has been here for 6 recruiting cycles and hasn’t recruited one impact LB nor has he developed a LB into an effective player.

Name me one power 5 head coach in the last 20 years that has gone 6 consecutive recruiting cycles without finding one single effective player at their supposed position of expertise.

Advertisement
In fairness, people have been making noise or waiting for any reason to start again for 3 years for Manny.
Because we knew he didn't deserve the job period. We should have let him go to Temple. I'm over it though Ibis, it's just sad every week people are hoping Manny somehow gets it. Only thing that can get him canned is losses and I think Michigan State will the continuation of his spiral out of here.

Because we knew he didn't deserve the job period. We should have let him go to Temple. I'm over it though Ibis, it's just sad every week people are hoping Manny somehow gets it. Only thing that can get him canned is losses and I think Michigan State will the continuation of his spiral out of here.
I don’t like the way it went it down, but I’m not convinced any of the other names people throw out over time are any better (Mostly given they just aren’t any better where they are.), but we just don’t even know the list because there was none. It’s ****ed.

We’ve had former coaches on staff become HC, popular young guy from lesser program, veteran old guy, now Manny.

I've been waiting for some positive news on this position for a couple years now. I'll take ANYTHING.

No clue what's going on. Figure he could ask for a little help from a few legends he has access to if he has no idea how to spot a legit LB prospect.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I've been waiting for some positive news on this position for a couple years now. I'll take ANYTHING.

No clue what's going on. Figure he could ask for a little help from a few legends he has access to if he has no idea how to spot a legit LB prospect.
He won't listen to them...he's an egotistical Brat...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back