What has happened to the LB position?

DoctorKrazey

Sophomore
I've tried to be supportive of Manny, but I've seen enough of him now where I'd prefer that he's gone after this year. That being said, one of the best moves he's made since being here was bringing in T-Rob as it's already started to pay huge dividends in recruiting. Obviously, we can talk ad-nauseum about how far our O-Line play has fallen over the last 10-15 years, but the most glaring thing to me these last two years is how horrendous our LB's are. I'm watching Jennings,etc. last night thinking....Really? This is how bad we've gotten at this position? If we're stuck with Manny a while longer we've got to do something about the LB position, and pronto.

Advertisement
Advertisement
We’ve been critical of manny’s (his position) LB recruiting since he got here. It’s been awful.
He knew LB was a major weakness and he failed to address it in the 21 class and the portal.**** look at this years class we have 1 3* LB at this time and our top target there was throwing the U down just a few weeks back.

Advertisement
He knew LB was a major weakness and he failed to address it in the 21 class and the portal.**** look at this years class we have 1 3* LB at this time and our top target there was throwing the U down just a few weeks back.
This. There were LBs available in the portal and our incompetent head coach didn't bring in any. Why? It was a position of need

It's an odd one. Moving Smith to LB was a good move.

I don't really care about size at LB in College - I'd love to have NFL prospects there, but right now I'm happy to settle for productive College players. Give me speed, instincts and tackling ability.

I think he's been unlucky with the slew of injuries we've had at the position - but then Jennings still sees the field when I could beat him to the edge, so I can't really give Diaz too much leeway there.

Advertisement
This. There were LBs available in the portal and our incompetent head coach didn't bring in any. Why? It was a position of need
Exactly. One thing Manny has done well is addressing areas of need through the portal. I kept thinking to myself during the entire off-season that we’ve GOT to go after a LB in the portal but...nothing. Sadly, teams will continue to expose our weak LB’s in every game.

Advertisement
Diaz has been here 6 years and hasnt signed a single miami caliber LB. He walked in to Shaq and co as freshman whcih gave him 4 years to find and build the unit and we our **** at the position. Heck after Golden recruits have gotten out of the program the defense has looked like **** recently..

Dude needs to stop going after these mid tier linebackers. LBH who really on this roster at linebacker has the size and speed to play the position at a high level? Either they are to small but fast, big but slow, or small and slow. Are they good or can be, yes. But go back and look at their offer list and ask yourself we’re they really being pursued by the likes of UGA, Bama, OSU, etc.

Sam Brooks stands out as the only one that fits the mold of a traditional LB but he’s hurt. At this point Manny is just recruiting the position just to say he is. Or these kids telling him to kick rocks

Advertisement
Back