What happened to the Guard we recruited from one of the NorthEast Colleges?

No, I don't. I enrolled at UM in the 1964-65 school year and we were already on probation. We had gone to the NIT in the year(s) before (when the NIT, believe it or not was still VERY prestigious -- so much so that I would say the NIT champion was seen as the second best team in the country). My guess is it had to do with a recruiting violation (what else!!).

So, my first year was Rick Barry's last. We had some very good players other than Barry on those teams -- Indiana's "Mr. Basketball" (best HS Player in Indiana), Rick Jones + three other Indiana HS HoF level players in John Dampier, Wayne Beckner and Junior Gee. I'd guess you've seen the movie "Hoosiers" so ... you know the quality of those players was high! HS hoops in Indiana is like HS football in So Fla.
I remember Don Curnutt in 68-69(?). I think he was from Indiana. Boy could he shoot from the outside. This was before 3 point baskets, but he would have averaged over 30 pts per game if there was a 3 point basket. They would set screens for him outside and seemed like he was 50 % from 3 point range.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back