What happened to the Guard we recruited from one of the NorthEast Colleges?

Swampcity

All American
I can't remember his name, I believe he needed to sit out this year and have three years remaining.

Advertisement
You talking about Miles Wilson? If so yes he just transfered to Miami before the season so he sits this season out and then has 3 years remaining. Supposed to be pretty good.

I'd be happy if he ends up being half the player McClinton was. Dude was an amazing and exciting player. Still my favorite Cane to this day although Larkin is right up there with him and Darius Rice. 3 of the best to ever put on a Canes jersey. Here's to hoping Wilson ends up as one of the best too.

I'd be happy if he ends up being half the player McClinton was. Dude was an amazing and exciting player. Still my favorite Cane to this day although Larkin is right up there with him and Darius Rice. 3 of the best to ever put on a Canes jersey. Here's to hoping Wilson ends up as one of the best too.

Don't forget rick Barry.

Advertisement
I didn't mention Rick Barry because I wasn't alive during his time at the U or even in the NBA. The 3 guys I listed are my 3 favorite canes that I've been able to watch.

Yea I guess Rick Barry is the best cane of all time but I'm only 29 so I've seen everyone since the Rice Jones Salmons squads. Been a lot of good players since then but never a team that made much of a run.

Advertisement
Yea I guess Rick Barry is the best cane of all time but I'm only 29 so I've seen everyone since the Rice Jones Salmons squads. Been a lot of good players since then but never a team that made much of a run.

I was just pointing out it out. Not trying to start anything, but he was a hall of famer and on alot of peoples top 50 ATG list. I wasn't around then either, but apparently our Bball team was on probation during Barrys time, but we could have made a run if we werent on probation (I cant seem to find out why we where on probation though).

I was just pointing out it out. Not trying to start anything, but he was a hall of famer and on alot of peoples top 50 ATG list. I wasn't around then either, but apparently our Bball team was on probation during Barrys time, but we could have made a run if we werent on probation (I cant seem to find out why we where on probation though).

Yes, we were on probation but it was more than that. Being an Independent, we played, twice a season, teams like Rollins, Stetson, Florida Southern, Jacksonville, Tampa, etc. We'd make one road trip up north or out to the West Coast and play a few really good teams but ... compared to now, the competition was very, very weak, That's why a UM team could go 24-4 or something like that and hardly be ranked, and lose in the first round to, say, a solid northeastern team like a St. Joe's or LaSalle who just were more fundamentally sound and played better teams on a night to night basis.

Yes, we were on probation but it was more than that. Being an Independent, we played, twice a season, teams like Rollins, Stetson, Florida Southern, Jacksonville, Tampa, etc. We'd make one road trip up north or out to the West Coast and play a few really good teams but ... compared to now, the competition was very, very weak, That's why a UM team could go 24-4 or something like that and hardly be ranked, and lose in the first round to, say, a solid northeastern team like a St. Joe's or LaSalle who just were more fundamentally sound and played better teams on a night to night basis.

Thanks for the clarification. Do you happen to know what we were on probation for?

No, I don't. I enrolled at UM in the 1964-65 school year and we were already on probation. We had gone to the NIT in the year(s) before (when the NIT, believe it or not was still VERY prestigious -- so much so that I would say the NIT champion was seen as the second best team in the country). My guess is it had to do with a recruiting violation (what else!!).

So, my first year was Rick Barry's last. We had some very good players other than Barry on those teams -- Indiana's "Mr. Basketball" (best HS Player in Indiana), Rick Jones + three other Indiana HS HoF level players in John Dampier, Wayne Beckner and Junior Gee. I'd guess you've seen the movie "Hoosiers" so ... you know the quality of those players was high! HS hoops in Indiana is like HS football in So Fla.

Advertisement
No, I don't. I enrolled at UM in the 1964-65 school year and we were already on probation. We had gone to the NIT in the year(s) before (when the NIT, believe it or not was still VERY prestigious -- so much so that I would say the NIT champion was seen as the second best team in the country). My guess is it had to do with a recruiting violation (what else!!).

So, my first year was Rick Barry's last. We had some very good players other than Barry on those teams -- Indiana's "Mr. Basketball" (best HS Player in Indiana), Rick Jones + three other Indiana HS HoF level players in John Dampier, Wayne Beckner and Junior Gee. I'd guess you've seen the movie "Hoosiers" so ... you know the quality of those players was high! HS hoops in Indiana is like HS football in So Fla.

Lol that was my guess as well. Great film, I have heard that about Indiana frequently so I definitely believe it. That is very intersting thanks for the first hand update. I really appreciate it!

Glad you're interested in a little history. I probably wouldn't have been interested in something that happened before I was around!

UM basketball has really come a long way. When I was a freshman, I had to take the Gables bus (which stopped outside Eaton Hall) to the CG bus terminal. Then get a bus downtown. From there, another transfer to get to the Miami Beach Auditorium or Convention Center (we played our home games over there). Later, I had a car. Horrible sight lines to watch a basketball game.

Typical UM game: 1964-65 season -- UM 127, Jacksonville 99. Highest scoring game that season: UM 148, Rollins 79. Against a ranked team on the road: St. John's 79, UM 77.

Yeah I didn't think you were trying to start anything. Barry is one of the greatest players college and pro. I just wasn't around then so I was just listing my favorite canes players that I've ever seen. There's been some really good ones. Just didn't have enough good players/coaches with them to make any kind of run.

Advertisement
Glad you're interested in a little history. I probably wouldn't have been interested in something that happened before I was around!

UM basketball has really come a long way. When I was a freshman, I had to take the Gables bus (which stopped outside Eaton Hall) to the CG bus terminal. Then get a bus downtown. From there, another transfer to get to the Miami Beach Auditorium or Convention Center (we played our home games over there). Later, I had a car. Horrible sight lines to watch a basketball game.

Typical UM game: 1964-65 season -- UM 127, Jacksonville 99. Highest scoring game that season: UM 148, Rollins 79. Against a ranked team on the road: St. John's 79, UM 77.
I remember a big game in the convention center around '62 or '63. We knocked off Duke, which I think was ranked 5th in the country. Back then, it was a huge upset. Duke had national star Art Heyman. We had the Stavreti brothers, Chris and Carl. Mike McCoy was our center and I think Barry might have been on that team....and there was the irrepressible and incomparable Chuck Holiber, perhaps the most popular player in UM basketball history.

I used to take the subway to the games.

I remember a big game in the convention center around '62 or '63. We knocked off Duke, which I think was ranked 5th in the country. Back then, it was a huge upset. Duke had national star Art Heyman. We had the Stavreti brothers, Chris and Carl. Mike McCoy was our center and I think Barry might have been on that team....and there was the irrepressible and incomparable Chuck Holiber, perhaps the most popular player in UM basketball history.

I used to take the subway to the games.
There was a subway in Miami?

Advertisement
Back