What happened to our screen game?

Perry has been leading his receivers much better with the screens than Malik did. We have all of the same receivers as last year except Berrios and we did great with the screens last year.
No berrios, no Ahmon, no herndon, mcdermont, you gotta have better blockers on the perimeter, those 3 were elite blocjers and mcdermont was an above average tackle.

Now we got navaughn out their whiffing, St. Louis facing premier defensive ends, harley, jt4 and cager, where is the blocking coming from.

Advertisement
No berrios, no Ahmon, no herndon, mcdermont, you gotta have better blockers on the perimeter, those 3 were elite blocjers and mcdermont was an above average tackle.

Now we got navaughn out their whiffing, St. Louis facing premier defensive ends, harley, jt4 and cager, where is the blocking coming from.

We did well with the screens even without Ahmon and Herndon last year.

Perry completion% would be above 70% if he was running all those screens he ran with rosier

Advertisement
FSU played man to man a lot of the game. Hard to run bubbles against man

Correct. Richt abuses that quick throw to the flat when the opponent is in zone or soft man. That's not always the case so it's the reason we'll either see that play abused multiples times in a row in the same game, then again later, or in some games not at all.

Fewer opponents have cooperated this year.

Regarding third down screens I was thrilled that Florida State succeeded on one early in the game. That absolutely guaranteed they would come back to it later on a more pivotal possession, and get wiped out. Yep...it happened twice.

You can't run a bubble screen when your tackles consistently allow the DE's to get up field far enough to block that throwing lane. The one middle screen I remember we ran to Homer on Saturday, Perry seemed to underestimate the speed of the blitz and had to rush the throw. It was set up pretty nicely, otherwise. A little touch on that ball from Perry and Homer picks up nice yardage. As it was, Perry tried to put a hole through Homer and he couldn't hang on to it.

For whatever reason, passing to our RB's started disappearing from the offense after the ND game last year:

First 10 games 2017 - RB's had 27 receptions
10 games since ND - RB's have 12 receptions (6 were in the Savannah St & FIU games)

Homer had 17 catches thru 10 games last year and 4 in the 10 games since. With DeeJay being a converted WR, I was hoping we'd find creative ways to use him in the passing game, but it hasn't happened.

Advertisement
For whatever reason, passing to our RB's started disappearing from the offense after the ND game last year:

First 10 games 2017 - RB's had 27 receptions
10 games since ND - RB's have 12 receptions (6 were in the Savannah St & FIU games)

Homer had 17 catches thru 10 games last year and 4 in the 10 games since. With DeeJay being a converted WR, I was hoping we'd find creative ways to use him in the passing game, but it hasn't happened.
LSU and FSU dictated heavily that our RBs remain in pass pro on passing plays.

LSU and FSU dictated heavily that our RBs remain in pass pro on passing plays.

Yeah - I think we've just shifted to RB's in pass pro in general. The RB's actually got more catches in the LSU & FSU games. So I think it's less what the defense is dictating as it is a change in our offense.

Total RB receptions in last 10 games:

3 - Savanah St., FIU
2- LSU, FSU
1 - Pitt, Wisconsin
0 - UVA, Clemson, Toledo, UNC

By contrast - RB's had 4 or more catches in 5 of the first 10 games last year. Homer had 12 catches in first 5 games after Walton got hurt. He's had 4 catches in the 10 games since.

Total guess - but maybe TE blocking has something to do with it? Herndon got hurt in the Pitt game, and we maybe we haven't had good TE blocking since then, so we're using the RB's to compensate.

Yeah - I think we've just shifted to RB's in pass pro in general. The RB's actually got more catches in the LSU & FSU games. So I think it's less what the defense is dictating as it is a change in our offense.

Total RB receptions in last 10 games:

3 - Savanah St., FIU
2- LSU, FSU
1 - Pitt, Wisconsin
0 - UVA, Clemson, Toledo, UNC

By contrast - RB's had 4 or more catches in 5 of the first 10 games last year. Homer had 12 catches in first 5 games after Walton got hurt. He's had 4 catches in the 10 games since.

Total guess - but maybe TE blocking has something to do with it? Herndon got hurt in the Pitt game, and we maybe we haven't had good TE blocking since then, so we're using the RB's to compensate.
Maybe you're right, but I think it's more on the play of the tackles than on the TE. Herndon was a better blocker last year than TF Jordan is this year, but when we've asked him to block, we've just mostly been living with the results of that decision rather than having an RB and TE both block.

Look for passes to the RBs to pick up this week with Scaife at T and ND at G. I really like ND but I believe we've kept RBs in pass pro mainly to help him because of how easily he's beaten by the speed rush--especially on 3rd downs.

Maybe you're right, but I think it's more on the play of the tackles than on the TE. Herndon was a better blocker last year than TF Jordan is this year, but when we've asked him to block, we've just mostly been living with the results of that decision rather than having an RB and TE both block.

Look for passes to the RBs to pick up this week with Scaife at T and ND at G. I really like ND but I believe we've kept RBs in pass pro mainly to help him because of how easily he's beaten by the speed rush--especially on 3rd downs.

I'm hoping you're right. I'm just skeptical because RB's only caught 2 passes in the last 4 games in 2017, so this started happening before any OL issues this year. But I'm hoping the new OL lineup will get the RB's more involved!

Advertisement
Looked like if he hadn’t blown it up it would have been a pick six. I watched that play again and the DB was under cutting it.

saw that, too. its crazy the way a football game can unfold. if burns doesnt make that play, its a completely different ballgame. think the next play after that was the beautiful pass down the middle to JT, follow by Brevin's TD. couldve been 2 plays after that, but pretty sure that was the same drive..

F the screens. I wanna see more 2 TEs max protect and go deep. That's one thing i will give Coley credit for, we always lit up FSU. If we had a D we would never have lost 7 in a row

We only have 2 TEs healthy enough to play can’t run 2 TE sets mane

saw that, too. its crazy the way a football game can unfold. if burns doesnt make that play, its a completely different ballgame. think the next play after that was the beautiful pass down the middle to JT, follow by Brevin's TD. couldve been 2 plays after that, but pretty sure that was the same drive..
I agree, It sure is crazy.

Advertisement
FSU played man to man a lot of the game. Hard to run bubbles against man

Agree, I was looking at this and it wasn't there for a lot of the game. There were a few times the bubbles would have been there though, and we absolutely should have taken them. I don't care who we are playing, if the DBs are playing 10 yards off our guys, the bubbles and WR screens need to be thrown. My god, with our talent out there, it's a gimme 5-7 yards....and if you make the initial defender miss, it's 10-15. Throw it on first down, get 5 yards, then it's 2nd and 5, the defense is on its heels a bit and you can run, or throw it again if it's there. Those plays are crucial for helping this offense get ahead of schedule. We just don't have the O-line to continually pound the ball on first and second down.

We threw a few of them against FIU, we only threw 12 passes against UNC and i think at least 2 were screens, and we threw at least 4 screen passes against panhandle. Burns rushed one to Dallas, swatted another one down on a bubble, we completed screed to Homer, also completed screen to Jordan on the final drive. 3rd & 11 for a 10 yard gain. Choc picked up 4th & 1 to seal it.

We're throwing them.

This! The screens were called, executed and found success for the most part. The rushed one to Dallas, 5 has to calm himself and just touch it over. The one Burns knocked down was a different type of screen, IIRC, and somebody has to get a hand on him to prevent that from happening. Almost reminded me of the pick in the Wisc game last year where the block on the DE was whiffed like nobody's business and he can stand right in the path of the throw.

More passes to Gray, please. The more weapons you can use, the more off balance you can keep a D. I want to see everyone getting the ball.

Advertisement
Back