What happened to our screen game?

Ver

Senior
Was one of the most effective parts of our offense last season, seemingly has disappeared this season. Particularly the bubble screen, Herndon was a beast as the receiver, we definitely the athletes to do it, Wiggins, Cager, Langham blocking and whoever receiving.

Advertisement
No idea. It needs to come back, stat. Richt uses them really well—when he uses them. Would have helped against FSU a lot. They played off Thomas quite a bit.

Burns blew it up
This where I have problem with Richt there should be built in 4-5 yard plays in the offense when you have trouble blocking that can get the ball out your QB hands quickly, maybe its there and the QB isn't executing

This where I have problem with Richt there should be built in 4-5 yard plays in the offense when you have trouble blocking that can get the ball out your QB hands quickly, maybe its there and the QB isn't executing
I agree... every game I say the same thing... where's the short quick pass to mix it up and keep the D honest, like play action curl or slant or quick RB dump.

Advertisement
They haven't been using them as much recently. No idea why. Seems the bubble is good for at least a 5 or 6 yard gain every time the run it.

I think he meant the one time we ran the bubble Burns knocked the pass down

We threw a few of them against FIU, we only threw 12 passes against UNC and i think at least 2 were screens, and we threw at least 4 screen passes against panhandle. Burns rushed one to Dallas, swatted another one down on a bubble, we completed screed to Homer, also completed screen to Jordan on the final drive. 3rd & 11 for a 10 yard gain. Choc picked up 4th & 1 to seal it.

We're throwing them.

Leave coach richt alone, this team is on the come up, he's learning what perry can do in actual games, right now perry nor this o-line is good at the screen game, yall must've missed the one where nvd got blown pass or the wobbly floater perry threw to travis homer. All that will come in due time. Also, the d-co for Fsu does something that affects the screen, they keep about 8 guys around the line of scrimmage, so richt did what waa smart, and that's why we went inside out and burnt them with the seam game. Alot of people need to slow down, many went from blaming perry because he supposedly didnt beat out rosier and blamed richt and his son for that being richt's hand picked qb but not developing him, etc. etc. It's more to managing a player/team than just having talent and at the time, when coach richt named the starter, the proven and most trusted qb was rosier.

Coach richt tested perry, he didnt try and transfer, earn his way back to the starting job and so far so good, but on here to many people's have the "it's about time" mindset, as if their is not a developmental part to alot of this. Coach richt knows mostly what he's doing, this offense was on the verge of being potent under the mark richt regime, the college football world just dodged one, could you imagine what this offense would've looked like with a healthy Ahmon back playing with an accurate qb, coach richt was about to start pile driving teams.

I saw exactly what coach richt was doing in the Fsu game but people were complaining about that game, coach richt new he had enuff time, stuck with the run and played the field position game for a lil bit cause he knew the defense was playing lights out so he relied on them for a few series until he found a way to get the offense clicking, part of this team not panicking was, we never abandoned the run game. First time i've seen us have 2 players in basically a year have career ending neck injuries with a third one(wilder) still pending. Most just need to stop nit-picking and just enjoy the journey back to the top and appreciate the job coach richt is doing.

Before this year it was, norton & mcintosh leaving along with coach kool, alot of people were panicking, many were already telling coach richt who to hire (kp) but what did coach richt, showed his range, and smoothly went out and upgraded the d-line coaching position in technique and recruiting wise in jess simpson and it's damyum near like norton & mcintosh WHO! Think about the coaching staff coach richt has assembled.

Now all of a sudden people acting like coach hartley is the problem, that man knows how to coach special teams, it's not the scheme it's the personnel that's the real problem. As the talent on this roster improves, so will special teams, go back and look who we had out their, Lil Blades held his side down, alot of other guys should not have been out their. We in good hands people, enjoy the journey!

Advertisement
Richt only ran bubble screens when Rosier and Kayaa were having problems hitting anything across the line of scrimmage.

Advertisement
I’m guessing Richt doesn’t trust the perimeter blocking. He always brings it up saying it’s not where it needs to be. But I agree we need to use it more

No idea. It needs to come back, stat. Richt uses them really well—when he uses them. Would have helped against FSU a lot. They played off Thomas quite a bit.

This is where I think Richt fails at and why the team needs a true OC. Richt seems to just randomly call plays from the hip with little rhythm/feel for the game. It's as if he has his script of plays he runs and sticks to them no matter what and doesn't adjust on the fly.

Maybe corch doesn't trust our OL to execute them?

I truly think that with an OC it would bring more continuity to the offense and we would start to see improved play from the o-line as well as the qb. Not saying the o-line would instantly become the best in the nation, but there would be noticeable improvement in their play. Inconsistent play calling causes inconsistent o-line play in my opinion. Just like a qb needs to get into a rhythm so does the linemen.

Advertisement
And one of the best at bubble screens is gone. Berrios had great hands and knew how to read his blockers and make plays. Dallas would be a great replacement

The mob is fickle, i remember when people were complaining he ran to many screens, we won the game people, relax.

Just watched replay for fourth time. For some reason Richt kept leaving Jordan 1 on 1 with Burns. Wasnt chipping (which would be necessary as Burns is tough for a regular OLineman to block) , but straight up pass blocking by himself. Jordan had no chance and Burns was constantly in the backfield. I think a screen would have led to a pick 6 as Perry would have had no chance to throw over the line as he was backpedaling for his life.

I scream at the TV sometimes looking at defenders 8-10 yards off our receiver. Throw a quick screen and let them work.

Advertisement
Back