What exactly is a "good recruiter"?

I disagree with OP.

The Noles flopped every year under Jimbo. Zook was a joke. Those guys recruited championship teams while fielding losers.

A good recruiter is someone who identifies talent, works relentlessly and sells. Right now, I have confidence in Golden's relentlessness. The other two things remain to be seen.

Advertisement
he won 9 games at temple... against people of temple's level. it's not like played great BCS teams. so friggin what? when has he ever beat anyone of note? he's had plenty of chances... he's let FSU make us their *****. that's enough to be ****ed

You mean a failed NFL coach who was an elite coordinator is someone Miami can't get? Like Carroll? Read about who Schnellenberger was.

And we certainly could NEVER get the HC of Okie State like Les Miles was. Except that time we did exactly that with JJ.

And lord knows a guy with a quirky offense that won at lower levels quickly and was sky rocketing up the ranks like Urban Meyer could never be had; IF you don't count Dennis Erickson.

Miami hired the exact type coaches before and we won bc of it. We paid fair market value, during a time when we were independent and had no national draw or fans.

There is a large contingent of fans on this board that believe Donna Shalala is absolutely incapable of making a good hire, and therefore, we should be really happy with Al, because he's trying super hard.

Best recruiter:

2.jpg

True, but look at the seniors and juniors on the FSU team that won it this year . They went to FSU when the Noles hadn't done anything. They weren't world beaters. The had close to a decade run of mediocrity that we had.

Golden and staff just aren't great recruiters. Facts don't lie. But orange and green glasses tell many lies.

I tend to disagree regarding Golden. I think he and Coley are dynamite recruiters, but I don't know much about the rest of the staff to judge. The things that hurt us obviously are entrance issues (grades), gameday experience, and the scheme that we run which deters the DT recruits. We've done pretty well at every other position in this class.

I disagree with OP.

The Noles flopped every year under Jimbo. Zook was a joke. Those guys recruited championship teams while fielding losers.

A good recruiter is someone who identifies talent, works relentlessly and sells. Right now, I have confidence in Golden's relentlessness. The other two things remain to be seen.

He can sell some kids on how he won 9 games at Temple a few years ago.

Advertisement
I feel great coaches don't have to recruit. Typically, great coaches and developers have a good body of work to convince players. Saban will always say "I can show you how to get to the NFL" and guys will believe him because he started with Belichek in Cleveland in the mid 90's. Kansas State coach gets a lot of players because he's a known developer of talent. AG is a relentless recruiter, but I feel our two best recruiters are Coley and Barrow.

Few different things at play here. From a program aspect, you have to be hot and winning big, splashy stadium/facilities, fan support (not 35,000 at a game), hot conference.

From the individual aspect, talent evaluation is huge - though may be more staff issue than coming down on individual recruiters. Obvious things are have to be a relentless hustler, snake oil salesman and in today's game need to be a "crossover recruiter" - capable of earning ma and pa's trust/respect while also be entrenched in and capable of playing the game with the handlers and street agents.

Last edited:
Tireless, tireless shark eyes sales is what it is. The right thing to say, knowing when to say it, keep saying it until ink. Next prospect, repeat.

Sell me this pen.

I see what you did there.

...A good recruiter is someone who identifies talent, works relentlessly and sells. Right now, I have confidence in Golden's relentlessness. The other two things remain to be seen.

This. Relentless is good. Agree tho, Championships are a great selling point. Luckily the U brand has 5 AG & Co. can work with.

Tireless, tireless shark eyes sales is what it is. The right thing to say, knowing when to say it, keep saying it until ink. Next prospect, repeat.

Sell me this pen.

I see what you did there.

...A good recruiter is someone who identifies talent, works relentlessly and sells. Right now, I have confidence in Golden's relentlessness. The other two things remain to be seen.

This. Relentless is good. Agree tho, Championships are a great selling point. Luckily the U brand has 5 AG & Co. can work with.

Unfortunately, we're getting past the point where recruits have any recollection of Miami as a championship-caliber program.

These days, recruits commit to coaching staffs. Relationships, offensive and defensive philosophies, etc. often take precedent over the history of a program, at least with the majority of recruits.

Al needs to sell himself, his staff, and his staff's ability to produce.

Advertisement
I disagree with OP.

Seems to be working pretty well. He can also have Coley fire off a bunch of nonsensical tweets.

Here the deal to answer the OP's original statement. A great recruiter is a guy who can get great recruits when he has nothing to work with in terms of his team (not many wins, little to no tradition or history, not a lot of bagmen paying off recruits, etc etc). So if a team like Iowa St starts pulling in some big time recruits, thats a greats recruiter. Keep in mind people there is a difference between a great recruiter and a great talent evaluator or great talent developer.

Evaluators find the diamonds in the rough and a great recruiter could be a great evaluator more so than a great recruiter, but in that case, he needs to also be a great developer. This is why Butch worked so well for us. He was a great evaluator and developer more than he was a great recruiter.

As far as Golden is concerned, he has a lot to prove still. He appears to be a solid recruiter, but its hard to say when his awesome recruiting is at Miami. You almost have to not recruit to not recruit well here.

Evaluator - I'm sorry and many might disagree, but I don't see anything special about his evaluating. Every coach comes up with a gem or 2, but very few of them become real gems. They end up as a gem for that team, but in the grand scheme only somewhat exceeded expectations. As far as Miami is concerned, DP might be the only one who really fits this under Al imo.

Developer- again, I don't see it yet. I see people saying how much better some of these guys look, but personally I don't see it. They are bigger, but also slower. I feel like we are becoming a Big 10 team with a bunch of undersized guys.

Last edited:
I disagree with OP.

Seems to be working pretty well. He can also have Coley fire off a bunch of nonsensical tweets.

I actually have confidence in Coley though

LOLOL at the revisionist history on FSU.

Jimbo's first year he won the Atlantic and 10 games and the Peach Bowl.

His worst season he went 9-4.

He has never lost a bowl game.

In year three he won the ACC and a BCS bowl.

If that is "flopping", then what the **** do you call Goldens tenure????

Advertisement
Starting to think coley and maybe hurlie are the only good recruiters we have on staff. Still don't get the barrow hype. I like him but he's not a stud at anything

LOLOL at the revisionist history on FSU.

Jimbo's first year he won the Atlantic and 10 games and the Peach Bowl.

His worst season he went 9-4.

He has never lost a bowl game.

In year three he won the ACC and a BCS bowl.

Yep, a "flopping" Jimbo was still 3-0 against Miami and in bowls...smh.

Advertisement
I disagree with OP.

I do not have confidence in anyone on this staff ability to sell except coley and hurlie. Also think we've made a couple of questionable evals all around.

The sales pitch is way more vital than relentlessness when it comes to elite prospects. Everyone is on the elite guys hard.

Golden hasn't done ****. What does that have to do with FSU?

Your original post is wrong. You don't have to win big to recruit elite kids. I provided you two clear examples with Zook and Jimbo. ****, Miami's highest rated class in 20 years came after a 5-7 season.

Jimbo's first year he got mudded by OU and lost four games. The second year he also lost four games, including games to Wake and Virginia. That's classic ACC mediocrity.

Last year, FSU won a crappy conference but got curb-stomped by Florida. Nole fans were ready to hang Jimbo after that loss. They kept recruiting at a high level, and it paid off this year.

Recruiting is evaluation, diligence and selling. Right now, we only have one of the three.

Golden hasn't done ****. What does that have to do with FSU?

Your original post is wrong. You don't have to win big to recruit elite kids. I provided you two clear examples with Zook and Jimbo. ****, Miami's highest rated class in 20 years came after a 5-7 season.

Jimbo's first year he got mudded by OU and lost four games. The second year he also lost four games, including games to Wake and Virginia. That's classic ACC mediocrity.

Last year, FSU won a crappy conference but got curb-stomped by Florida. Nole fans were ready to hang Jimbo after that loss. They kept recruiting at a high level, and it paid off this year.

Recruiting is evaluation, diligence and selling. Right now, we only have one of the three.

you're better than this D$

Advertisement
Back