What exactly is a "good recruiter"?

FullyERicht

Thunderdome
People still don't get it about "recruiters".

Nick Saban isn't some master recruiter. He doesn't know the secrets to tell kids. He doesn't have some innate ability to connect to 17 year olds in a way that no one else can.

But he's the most highly respected coach, who has won a billion games, titles, and put scores of kids in the NFL. In addition, the guy coached at ****** schools his whole life, with zero academic restrictions or demands, and his last two stops was at big booster SEC schools.

It's stupid easy for Nick Saban's dry, boring, uptight *** to recruit.

Miami's issue isn't that we haven't won in a decade. It's that Al never won anything, and after 3 years is still laying massive eggs. He can talk a good game, and relate to kids, and be likeable. But he has nothing to sell.

Guys like Stoops, Saban, Carroll Jimbo, Tressell, Miles, Meyer.....those dudes were unproven when they got their big gigs, but they had two distinct differences: 1) they were all either champion coordinators (or HC on lower level), or had won a ton of games against BCS foes in BCS games as HCs and 2) they won QUICKLY at their major gig.

The aforementioned all won national titles in year two, save Jimbo who won 10 games and the Atlantic his first year, and a BCS bowl in year 3.

Golden never won anything as a coordinator. He never won anything as a HC. His first three years here have been mediocre, and defensively atrocious. What can he sell to kids besides promises?

The best way to recruit is to have a coach that commands respect bc he is a champion. People gravitate towards that. Golden is super likeable, but he commands no respect, and it's why he struggles down the stretch recruiting.

Advertisement
A good recruiter is one that gets elite prospect to sign LOIs! The rest is a story...

Al won 9 games in a season AT TEMPLE. I know he hasn't done much here, but I believe we all need to give him at least this year before we start jumping on the fire Golden train. It took him a couple years to turn them around and I strongly believe he will do the same here.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think when we start winning, we'll start pulling elite guys consistently.

80% of the kids in SF automatically consider us at the top of their list already. Imagine if we actually had a good team lol. We'd be handpicking players from here.

Al won 11 games in a season AT TEMPLE. I know he hasn't done much here, but I believe we all need to give him at least this year before we start jumping on the fire Golden train. It took him a couple years to turn them around and I strongly believe he will do the same here.

Golden has never won more than 9 games

Al won 11 games in a season AT TEMPLE. I know he hasn't done much here, but I believe we all need to give him at least this year before we start jumping on the fire Golden train. It took him a couple years to turn them around and I strongly believe he will do the same here.

When did he do that?

Golden has never won more than 9 games
you're right, i dont know why I had 11 games in my head. My bad

Advertisement
Here's the thing though. He needed to have already been winning. A coach that can't win with what he has and has to recruit to win has to have a history of major success for it to work. It becomes a catch 22. You can't win if you can recruit, and you can't recruit if you can't win.

''Guys like Stoops, Saban, Carroll Jimbo, Tressell, Miles, Meyer''

We won't pay any of those coaches or their staff what they get now.

You mean a failed NFL coach who was an elite coordinator is someone Miami can't get? Like Carroll? Read about who Schnellenberger was.

And we certainly could NEVER get the HC of Okie State like Les Miles was. Except that time we did exactly that with JJ.

And lord knows a guy with a quirky offense that won at lower levels quickly and was sky rocketing up the ranks like Urban Meyer could never be had; IF you don't count Dennis Erickson.

Miami hired the exact type coaches before and we won bc of it. We paid fair market value, during a time when we were independent and had no national draw or fans.

Tireless, tireless shark eyes sales is what it is. The right thing to say, knowing when to say it, keep saying it until ink. Next prospect, repeat.

Sell me this pen.

Advertisement
Good recruiter has to be able to evaluate talent and not get caught up in star ratings

Have to be able to close

Al won 9 games in a season AT TEMPLE. I know he hasn't done much here, but I believe we all need to give him at least this year before we start jumping on the fire Golden train. It took him a couple years to turn them around and I strongly believe he will do the same here.

I'm with u in give him another year however this staffs complete incompetence when it comes to game day coaching is extremely frustrating and needs to be fixed. And we must close better on NSD this year than we did last year or sh** not gonna be good.

Advertisement
Best recruiter:

2.jpg

I'm with u in give him another year however this staffs complete incompetence when it comes to game day coaching is extremely frustrating and needs to be fixed. And we must close better on NSD this year than we did last year or sh** not gonna be good.

Don't want to change the subject, but this board is going to be very interesting a year from now.

I see a growing consensus of pro-Golden posters that have sang the tune of "let's give him one more year" while "the haters" have already written him off, hence the moniker.

Looking at the roster and the schedule and I have a very difficult time believing we'll improve from a 9-4 record, much less contend for an ACC title spot.

Best recruiter:

2.jpg

True, but look at the seniors and juniors on the FSU team that won it this year . They went to FSU when the Noles hadn't done anything. They weren't world beaters. The had close to a decade run of mediocrity that we had.

Golden and staff just aren't great recruiters. Facts don't lie. But orange and green glasses tell many lies.

Advertisement
Back