What do you think is Stephen Morris's ceiling?

There's no ceiling, there's no floor... you're asking to measure something that's unquantifiable-- (meaning this meat puppet that posed as our QB for 4 years has zero discernible value)>

There's no reason to ponder the question b/c he's devoid of the basic skill set required at the next level.

If he were a gas, he'd be inert.

Advertisement
I bet someone a meal at Prime 112 that he would be a 1st rounder

did this person get their Prime 112 meal?

1.gif

Advertisement
I think at best a 3rd rounder. The amount of balls that should be picked off is a ton. He does not have good vision or decision making. Accuracy can get better with practice but decision making rarely does. It's something you are born with.
You do realize 3 Int's last year were off of tipped balls. So he would've thrown like 4 Int's for the whole first full season as a starting QB. Even in bad games he limits his really bad mistakes. If Morris repeats statistically what he did in 2012 then he'll be a solid 3 round pick. Especially with the artillery pieces Morris has surrounding him this year.

The 3rd round is now starting. I am curious if you will be correct.

Fisch will draft him to JAX. Morris's ceiling is sky high, honestly. The dude has the strongest arm in the country, has mobility, is developing a pocket presence, and is an uncanny leader. Al has mentioned about 900 times how Morris's last 4 games of the years were not comparable to any other QB in the country because the stats were better than any other QB in the country.

Morris has tools himself, and he has playmakers around him that have the ability to make him look really really really good. And for the first time in a few years, we are going to have a running game with Duke that people are going to HAVE to respect. Thats going to open it up with the play action pass. If Morris completes the throws he's supposed to make, along with the big time throws he made last year ( a la NC State), the dude could be a contender for the Heisman. If thats the case, this teams winning the Orange Bowl, at least.

LETS GO BABY ALL IN.

Bump to draft day

Advertisement
I think at best a 3rd rounder. The amount of balls that should be picked off is a ton. He does not have good vision or decision making. Accuracy can get better with practice but decision making rarely does. It's something you are born with.

Now, that's got to be one of the most ignorant statements I have seen in quite some time. "The amount of balls that should be picked off is a ton." What's the basis for saying that? How many passes did he throw last year? 421. How many did he have picked off? 7. Freakin 7!

Is 7 a ton? Out of 421 thrown? That's one pick every sixty throws?

Now, Jacory Harris was known for throwing interceptions. In his best year, 2008, he threw 7, but that was out of 194 throws!

In what I guess was his best year, 2011, Jacory was picked 9 times, but that was out of only 300 throws.

By contrast, Morris has never thrown for double-digit interceptions, but Harris did. Morris' worst year was his worst, when he threw 9 interceptions, but he was green and has improved greatly.

For Morris to throw a "ton" of interceptions, he would have to regress significantly. What makes you think that is likely?

Last year, I understand that Golden asked Fisch to open up the offense and score more, because the defense was weak and he felt that the only way to win was to score as much as possible. Suppose they play better defense in '13, and Morris can rely more on Duke's running and a lower risk passing attack?

I cannot understand your statement, because it is not based on anything he did last year, and suggests you really don't know what you're talking about.

Here's his stats, according to ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/501142/stephen-morris

Matador, who is the ignorant one now?

I can't see it. To look forward I always like to look back. Morris sat behind Jacory Harris. That's got to be a red flag. And the greatest improvement in a college quarterback is typically between the second and third year in the program. Morris has already been there. The arrow from this point will likely flatten out.

Besides, when an NFL team ventures into the red zone, what are they going to expect Morris to do? He's not natural within the pocket or on roll outs. His accuracy is below par for that league and his midrange touch is awful. His anticipation is poor.

Morris is a fine college quarterback, with so much open space. He's extremely dangerous from 40-50 yards out in ANY league, given his arm. He's also more relaxed on plays beginning in the middle of the field. For whatever reason he's tense in the red zone and against higher caliber of opposition.

The Florida game will send his stock in one direction or the other. They are going to be more physical than us all over the field, blowing up plays. If Morris is patient enough and creates more touchdowns than I expect, maybe I'm wrong about him.

At this point I'd estimate 4th or 5th round on merit. But all it takes is one team to get a bug for him earlier.

Your "red flag" was because Morris sat behind Harris?

I'd suggest you dig a bit deeper into the reasoning behind that. It wasn't based entirely on talent and capability. Being the analyst and discerning gentleman you seem to be, you can figure it out. And when you do, it's entirely possible that this no longer becomes the red flag you currently see flying.

Bump

One of the main negatives I see with Morris is his pocket presence/foot work. He doesnt stand strong in the pocket when he feels pressure. He panics a lot and gets flushed out of the pocket.

Would like to see him get past his 1st read more. Throw some more to his TEs.

He did look much improved in the Spring Game though, hope to see him improve in the pocket this season.

Bump

Advertisement
He's a strong armed Qb, vocal, plays passionate, needs to improve his accuracy etc. but do you think he can develop his game into a 1st round Qb?

Think about all the Qbs that have catapulted themselves into the 1st round the past couple of years (i.e. Kyle Boller, J.P. Losman, Josh Freeman) off of measureables or some perceived pre-draft hype.

I think him and Seantrel can potentially be two 1st rounders in next year's draft. If not 1st at most 2nd round.

Thoughts?

Absolutely, I agree with you. I predict they'll go very high yesterday.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back