What do you look for in size if you would recruit an offensive lineman?

Bender

Premium
Considering the trenches, especially on offense, completely suck *** (...again), I wondered how other schools do it. There surely must be a reason why teams like Iowa, Boston College and Wisconsin have really good offensive lines and Miami keeps struggling.

Why is it important? Having a good, and consistent, offensive line in college football really is key to success. And I found out that you do not need highly ranked monsters like Evan Neal to get that done.

The three schools I picked for comparison are Iowa, Boston College and Wisconsin. All three are known as being terrific schools for offensive linemen, not only having good units in the NFL but also good players that end up getting drafted. Here are their current respective units and their High School (!!!) size measurements:

Iowa:
LT - Mason Richman (6-6, 252), from KS, a converted DE out of HS
LG - Cody Ince (6-6, 260), from WI
C - Tyler Linderbaum (6-2, 255), from IA, a converted DL
RG - Justin Britt (6-4, 286), from IN
RT - Nick DeJong (6-6, 240), from IA, a converted DL, unranked

Except for the RT being unranked, all of them were low 3-stars.

Wisconsin (took the 2020 one):

LT - Cole van Lanen (6-5, 283), from WI
LG - Josh Seltzner (6-4, 313), from WI
C - Kayden Lyles (6-3, 323), from WI
RG - Jon Dietzen (6-5, 330), from WI
RT - Logan Bruss (6-4, 260), from WI

LT and C were 4-stars. The rest were 3-stars or worse.

Boston College:

LT - Tyler Vrabel (6-4, 255), from TX
LG - Zion Johnson (6-3, 265), from MD
C - Alec Lindstrom (6-3, 240), from MA
RG - Christian Mahogany (6-5, 315), from NJ
RT- Ben Petrula (6-6, 320), from NJ

LG is unranked, C is a 2-star, rest is a 3-star.

While Wisconsin recruited bigger players out of HS, they typically have no problem doing that, as their recruits on the O-Line typically are redshirted to give them one year to lift weights, adjust their body and learn technique.

Iowa and Boston College however had striking examples that kind of questioned the mantra of recruiting big guys, which is recruiting HS players at a high weight. Iowa has an O-Line that was full of small sized O-Linemen, in three cases them being actual defensive linemen in HS. Same with Boston College, who have a mixture of small and big guys, but the majority being on the smaller side. I had the chance to watch some highlights from Iowa and Boston College games and their offensive line is really good. Theres a bunch of NFL talent in there.

Now I look at our offensive line and the best one we had last season was Zion Nelson. Everyone remembers how Zion came in at 240, got thrusted into the lineup at 270 and got first-round shoutouts before this season after a campaign where he played at 315. Donaldson, on the other hand, came in here big, played at a big weight and has had struggles with his weight throughout his career here.

Now heres the question: Do you tend to recruit smaller offensive lineman and let them grow in your strength program or do you recruit big and adjust their bodies to having a decent mixture of good and bad weight? Heres the thought I had: Smaller offensive lineman need to rely on things like footwork and technique more in High School, because they arent 300 pounds and build like a brick wall. They cant just shove guys to the ground because they have a massive size advantage.

What do you guys and girls (yes, we have girls on this board) think? Especially @Coach Macho and @gogeta4 , am very interested to hear your takes on this.

Advertisement
Considering the trenches, especially on offense, completely suck *** (...again), I wondered how other schools do it. There surely must be a reason why teams like Iowa, Boston College and Wisconsin have really good offensive lines and Miami keeps struggling.

Why is it important? Having a good, and consistent, offensive line in college football really is key to success. And I found out that you do not need highly ranked monsters like Evan Neal to get that done.

The three schools I picked for comparison are Iowa, Boston College and Wisconsin. All three are known as being terrific schools for offensive linemen, not only having good units in the NFL but also good players that end up getting drafted. Here are their current respective units and their High School (!!!) size measurements:

Iowa:

Boston College:

While Wisconsin recruited bigger players out of HS, they typically have no problem doing that, as their recruits on the O-Line typically are redshirted to give them one year to lift weights, adjust their body and learn technique.

Iowa and Boston College however had striking examples that kind of questioned the mantra of recruiting big guys, which is recruiting HS players at a high weight. Iowa has an O-Line that was full of small sized O-Linemen, in three cases them being actual defensive linemen in HS. Same with Boston College, who have a mixture of small and big guys, but the majority being on the smaller side. I had the chance to watch some highlights from Iowa and Boston College games and their offensive line is really good. Theres a bunch of NFL talent in there.

Now I look at our offensive line and the best one we had last season was Zion Nelson. Everyone remembers how Zion came in at 240, got thrusted into the lineup at 270 and got first-round shoutouts before this season after a campaign where he played at 315. Donaldson, on the other hand, came in here big, played at a big weight and has had struggles with his weight throughout his career here.

Now heres the question: Do you tend to recruit smaller offensive lineman and let them grow in your strength program or do you recruit big and adjust their bodies to having a decent mixture of good and bad weight? Heres the thought I had: Smaller offensive lineman need to rely on things like footwork and technique more in High School, because they arent 300 pounds and build like a brick wall. They cant just shove guys to the ground because they have a massive size advantage.

What do you guys and girls (yes, we have girls on this board) think? Especially @Coach Macho and @gogeta4 , am very interested to hear your takes on this.
21640812_1735473563161048_2434387973072660066_o.jpg

a formidable OL needs to be bonded together in all things.

Train together
Spend off season together if possible with each other’s families somehow work it out.
Experience each other upside and downside of there lives together.
Experience and spend as much time together as possible, talk every single day .
If someone isn’t right you ALL get together to correct.

What I’m saying is all this forms a BEAST physical OL .

When break the huddle the OL is physically and mentally linked as a unit almost impossible to beat.
It just takes a look or sound to know your line call and play it’s imbedded in each other’s thoughts.

this is our MAIN issue up front , we don’t even has a inkling of how build a formidable dominant OL UNIT.

Brother when have what I described the DL will know there in for a losing battle as the game wears on and the dominance over whelms them all game long.

Till we implement this IT IS WHAT IT IS .

It’s a choice easy one but a sacrifice to act on.

GOCANES

Advertisement

Iowa:

Boston College:

Entirely depends on what you are planning to do with your OL.

Example, Louisville or Satterfield to be more specific, they run a lot of OZ plays, and OL like BC or Iowa, would be more suited for it. Especially for a quarterback who runs around a lot.

I was always in the mindset, like Mike Shanahan, who runs the above, but look at his OL in the NFL they were "small" in comparison to their peers, but they were well conditioned and strong like ****.

When someone like Zion put on close to 80 lbs in 2 years in pretty well exclusively impossible to put that much "god" weight on unless your talking PEDs ,and I'll say it, he most certainly ain't on them.

It's an old school mind frame in my opinion about simply looking at size and using that as a barometer for success of an OL. I'm a big fan of length, first step explosion and violent hands, along with athleticism. I rarely give a shoot about size.
I personally was a bit a wirey RB back in the day (6' 205lbs, but ran a 4.5, I'm white guy from way up north Canada, but what a higher caliber Olympic style athlete and high level track guy) and the disadvantage of being smaller and l had it, is everyone just wants to bull rush you, whether its a blitzing backer, or you have to take on an edge player. Guess what I would almost exclusively cut block the heck out of those guy, but it seems the gamehas gotten away from that style of blocking, for one reason or another.

Put it this way, would you rather have a bunch of 6'5 260lbs guys who have less then 10% body fat and run 4.9 to 5.2 (around 1.6 10 yard time),think another 20lbs on Arroyo, or a bunch of 6'6 335lbs guys who run 5.2 to 5.5, but their strength numbers only 5 to 10% higher.

Want the secret sauce?

Dual sport athletes. Wisconsin always recruited those massive kids, but they all played multiple sports in high school. I bet you the same for BC/Iowa.

This is a good tip across multiple positions, too. Give me OL who play basketball and/or kill it in the field events. TEs who hoop, too. Plus QBs who also play baseball. And LBs who wrestle.

This is a good tip across multiple positions, too. Give me OL who play basketball and/or kill it in the field events. TEs who hoop, too. Plus QBs who also play baseball. And LBs who wrestle.
Find me a DB who can’t judge a ball in the air, bet you he never played baseball. If the film matches, 10/10 times take a kid who is a dual sport athlete over the kid who isn’t. Their ceilings are much higher. Track is a great 3rd addition but there needs to be something else when I say dual sport.

This is and has always been one of my biggest problems with Miami recruiting. Too many sport specific athletes.

Advertisement

Iowa:

Boston College:

I am Biased. I was an undersized guy that played Tackle. (Think Scaife..maybe a hair shorter).

I go with the smaller guy majority of the time. Though i would tend to get a road grader overweight brute type to put on the interior ..say every other class or so.

Im big on FEET. I had great feet from playing Basketball all my life. I tend to look at the gait of a lineman and their feet. Guys like Kai Herbert i knew were dead in the water b4 coming. = Knock kneed with duck feet...is a NO GO for me.

Wisconsin and IOWA have the culture of YEARS of recruiting the lineman to a science. They have upper classmen that are definate NFL guys so they can redshirt guys. They are in states that produce bigger guys...and actually have walk ons with the requisite size to be able to hold up as well ( look at our walk on players smh) so guys are always being pushed.
I actually like the Mcclaughlin's and Zion Nelson types...even Walker(norland). But you have to have legit guys ahead of them to allow them time to get their feet wet and grow. Im also a fan of DLINEMAN being moved over to the ol. Which is why i like the offer to the kid Bradley Mann out of Jacksonville. The clear athleticism is there with guys that play on the dlineman..more so than the leaners,etc.

A big no no for me is also WAIST BENDERS. Think (Lucas(fsu),Navaugn Donaldson, Scaife)

Waist benders are lungers and lazy types. when they do that their head also sinks down....hence you see line twist give our ol fits. Its not Justice fault ...WHEN SCAIFE DIGS HIS HEAD IN DEEP ON A GUY LOOPING AROUND ...leaving a clear path to the qb. You are taught that sh*t in high school ...hopefully (in s.fla's case). dONALDSON IS LUNGING ALL OVER THE PLACE AND ALLOWING SAFETIES. **** i see him take a step backward ..then gathering when running run blocking at times.

Last edited:
Find me a DB who can’t judge a ball in the air, bet you he never played baseball. If the film matches, 10/10 times take a kid who is a dual sport athlete over the kid who isn’t. Their ceilings are much higher. Track is a great 3rd addition but there needs to be something else when I say dual sport.

This is and has always been one of my biggest problems with Miami recruiting. Too many sport specific athletes.
I agree with all the dual sport talk. Unfortunately, kids are pushed to specialize at a young age way more now than they were 10, 20 years ago.

I think you’re missing something if you don’t think track is a great 2nd sport. Track is a lot more than getting faster. You have direct head to head competition that keeps kids in a competitive mind set, putting focus on explosive action while keeping balance and technique. That applies to throws, sprints, jumps. I was a 400m runner, but I’m a big fan of hurdles for a skill position football player; speed, explosiveness, balance, aggressiveness. When I was in high school, track was almost a requirement for football players.

I am Biased. I was an undersized guy that played Tackle. (Think Scaife..maybe a hair shorter).

I go with the smaller guy majority of the time. Though i would tend to get a road grader overweight brute type to put on the interior ..say every other class or so.

Im big on FEET. I had great feet from playing Basketball all my life. I tend to look at the gait of a lineman and their feet. Guys like Kai Herbert i knew were dead in the water b4 coming. = Knock kneed with duck feet...is a NO GO for me.

Wisconsin and IOWA have the culture of YEARS of recruiting the lineman to a science. They have upper classmen that are definate NFL guys so they can redshirt guys. They are in states that produce bigger guys...and actually have walk ons with the requisite size to be able to hold up as well ( look at our walk on players smh) so guys are always being pushed.
I actually like the Mcclaughlin's and Zion Nelson types...even Walker(norland). But you have to have legit guys ahead of them to allow them time to get their feet wet and grow. Im also a fan of DLINEMAN being moved over to the ol. Which is why i like the offer to the kid Bradley Mann out of Jacksonville. The clear athleticism is there with guys that play on the dlineman..more so than the leaners,etc.

A big no no for me is also WAIST BENDERS. Think (Lucas(fsu),Navaugn Donaldson, Scaife)

Waist benders are lungers and lazy types. when they do that their head also sinks down....hence you see line twist give our ol fits. Its not Justice fault ...WHEN SCAIFE DIGS HIS HEAD IN DEEP ON A GUY LOOPING AROUND ...leaving a clear path to the qb. You are taught that sh*t in high school ...hopefully (in s.fla's case). dONALDSON IS LUNGING ALL OVER THE PLACE AND ALLOWING SAFETIES. **** i see him take a step backward ..then gathering when running run blocking at times.
Cleveland Reed might have been one of the worst films for his ranking I ever seen. He was and still this to a T.

Advertisement
I agree with all the dual sport talk. Unfortunately, kids are pushed to specialize at a young age way more now than they were 10, 20 years ago.

I think you’re missing something if you don’t think track is a great 2nd sport. Track is a lot more than getting faster. You have direct head to head competition that keeps kids in a competitive mind set, putting focus on explosive action while keeping balance and technique. That applies to throws, sprints, jumps. I was a 400m runner, but I’m a big fan of hurdles for a skill position football player; speed, explosiveness, balance, aggressiveness. When I was in high school, track was almost a requirement for football players.
I’m a huge track supporter. 100%. Did track myself, always push my players to do track too. But track is you vs you. Yes your facing someone in a race but there’s no direct resistance.

You can’t improve ball skills with no balls. No improvement hand eye coordination, no sliding feet staying in front of someone, etc.. I see people who can fly through a ladder like a maniac but can’t make someone miss in the open field. Where’s the discrepancy? Track allows you to improve in biomechanics that you already have. I don’t think it creates new skills.

I gotta ask here because I am curious: Do you feel like smaller offensive lineman in high school, lets say up to to 265 at most, pay more attention to their feet, their hand placement, leverage and pad level? Because they have less weight to push around, therefore, they have to excel in other areas.

I am also sure, since playing O-Line is a lot about brains, that Ferentz looks for smart guys in the classroom who are willing to put extra hours into school work which could translate well to the football field. Its just mind blowing to me how their current offensive line started out in HS as this group of undersized guys which is still undersized but is one of the top units in football.

I gotta ask here because I am curious: Do you feel like smaller offensive lineman in high school, lets say up to to 265 at most, pay more attention to their feet, their hand placement, leverage and pad level? Because they have less weight to push around, therefore, they have to excel in other areas.

I am also sure, since playing O-Line is a lot about brains, that Ferentz looks for smart guys in the classroom who are willing to put extra hours into school work which could translate well to the football field. Its just mind blowing to me how their current offensive line started out in HS as this group of undersized guys which is still undersized but is one of the top units in football.
The guys that are around that weight you listed....TEND to be DUAL SPORT GUYS. IF THEY ARE 265...THEY ARE LIKELY ABOVE 6'3...WHICH LEADS THEM IF THEY HAVE SOME COORDINATION TO BE ON A BASKETBALL TEAM or some other sport

They are more coordinated and fluid. The bigger overweight guys just have that in high school..they are likely much stronger and can lean on guys and get movement. When the talent level goes up their weight aint a factor and there are now guys the same size as them WITH movement skills.

Also when your just bigger...you tend to be lazier ..or even get tired more often. A tired players technique goes out the window. This is how you can see Navaughn Donaldson have a **** of a series and then look like sh*t for a full quarter. Also quiet as kept the OL are generally the smartest guys on the team..TYPICALLY.

Iowa's head coach IS an OL COACH though..he knows what he is doing. His whole system fits...i think our particular offensive systems at times the last 15 have been disjointed. FOr example you want to run a tempo offense...guys getting out to the edges, and second level..YOU DONT HAVE the hefty non athletic guards. Its a crime to have certain guys trying to do things that naturally they arent able to.

Also I personally want a mean guy or two. Like legit guys that are down to fight...I DONT SEE THAT WITH WHAT WE HAVE CURRENTLY. I think the last group like that may have been Linder and Feliciano crew...Stoutland recruited and took on that type. Alot of these dudes are just happy to be div 1 football players at this point.

Advertisement
The guys that are around that weight you listed....TEND to be DUAL SPORT GUYS. IF THEY ARE 265...THEY ARE LIKELY ABOVE 6'3...WHICH LEADS THEM IF THEY HAVE SOME COORDINATION TO BE ON A BASKETBALL TEAM or some other sport

They are more coordinated and fluid. The bigger overweight guys just have that in high school..they are likely much stronger and can lean on guys and get movement. When the talent level goes up their weight aint a factor and there are now guys the same size as them WITH movement skills.

Also when your just bigger...you tend to be lazier ..or even get tired more often. A tired players technique goes out the window. This is how you can see Navaughn Donaldson have a **** of a series and then look like sh*t for a full quarter. Also quiet as kept the OL are generally the smartest guys on the team..TYPICALLY.

Iowa's head coach IS an OL COACH though..he knows what he is doing. His whole system fits...i think our particular offensive systems at times the last 15 have been disjointed. FOr example you want to run a tempo offense...guys getting out to the edges, and second level..YOU DONT HAVE the hefty non athletic guards. Its a crime to have certain guys trying to do things that naturally they arent able to.

Also I personally want a mean guy or two. Like legit guys that are down to fight...I DONT SEE THAT WITH WHAT WE HAVE CURRENTLY. I think the last group like that may have been Linder and Feliciano crew...Stoutland recruited and took on that type. Alot of these dudes are just happy to be div 1 football players at this point.
i think an offensive lineman that doesnt want to fight is kinda wrong and doesnt really fit the nature of the position.

outside of that, thanks for the info, very well appreciated

In a perfect world, you would recruit an athletic guy with a good frame, who might be underweight and redshirt him. Let him get his weight and upper body strength up and by the time he’s been in the system for three years, he should be ready to play. Most of the important factors have been mentioned already. Good feet, balance, athletic ability beyond just being a football lineman. Smart guys. Those dudes tend to have high floors. The big guys who are already 300+ in high school can be tough to project. It’s easy to look good when you’re blocking 190 lb high school linemen but how good are you when the guy you’re going against is as big and strong as you are?

Gogeta4, would you be available to coach OL on Saturday's, for a local team, but I cant tell you yet the name of the team?

In a perfect world, you would recruit an athletic guy with a good frame, who might be underweight and redshirt him. Let him get his weight and upper body strength up and by the time he’s been in the system for three years, he should be ready to play. Most of the important factors have been mentioned already. Good feet, balance, athletic ability beyond just being a football lineman. Smart guys. Those dudes tend to have high floors. The big guys who are already 300+ in high school can be tough to project. It’s easy to look good when you’re blocking 190 lb high school linemen but how good are you when the guy you’re going against is as big and strong as you are?
We have done that the last few years, Ryan Rodriguez, etc?!?

Advertisement
Back