What did Butch Davis accomplish at UNC?

He choked against FSU that year at home... Horrible play calling horrible decisions his team was more talented and loss I could tell u i no longer considered him a gr at coach after that year he has to has far superior talent to win

That's the dirty secret about Butch. It's like people have selective memory about him. I remember....I was there in the trenches on grassy.com ready to pounce on the freckled douche. He's a horrible game day coach and that's being polite.

You need to go back and reeducate yourself on the definition of the word 'horrible'.

Horrible game day coaches don't ever go 11-1. If they did then that would fundamentally change the definition of horrible.

Get your schit together son.

I was in the stands at UW for that "1". I don't have to reeducate ****. He assembled THE MOST TALENTED ROSTER in the history of college football. I give him credit for that. He/Coker were responsible for that loss that day. You guys thinking Butch is gonna come in here and just "recreate" that dynasty are living in a fantasy world.

Advertisement
Agree With OP he didn't do a **** thing... He hired ****** coordinators and underachieved with an NFL team
Keep posting you are falling deeper into the well of ignorance with every post.

I don't understand u... U wanna battle facts with facts? ok bring up what he did at Miami 16 years ago but nothing I have said about his time in chapel hill can be disputed,
You are really rustling people right now, but its hard not to see the logic here. If Butch became HC again, there is no doubt we would have a loaded roster in no time, but there is concern what he would do with that roster. People forget that he was a poor game day coach, but its easy to forget when you look at the talent he stock piled.

He choked against FSU that year at home... Horrible play calling horrible decisions his team was more talented and loss I could tell u i no longer considered him a gr at coach after that year he has to has far superior talent to win

That's the dirty secret about Butch. It's like people have selective memory about him. I remember....I was there in the trenches on grassy.com ready to pounce on the freckled douche. He's a horrible game day coach and that's being polite.

You need to go back and reeducate yourself on the definition of the word 'horrible'.

Horrible game day coaches don't ever go 11-1. If they did then that would fundamentally change the definition of horrible.

I was in the stands at UW for that "1". I don't have to reeducate ****. He assembled THE MOST TALENTED ROSTER in the history of college football. I give him credit for that. He/Coker were responsible for that loss that day. You guys thinking Butch is gonna come in here and just "recreate" that dynasty are living in a fantasy world.

I feel sorry for your mother. She raised a nincompoop.

4897-o.jpg

Butch Davis recruited or coached 122 future NFL players including 32 first round draft picks.

All that talent and couldn't use it to get to 9 wins at UNC.

While it may have been a basketball school, Mack Brown showed what you can do at a basketball school, so why isn't he in the conversation? I mean that jokingly regarding Mack.

People point out that Butch had our number while at UNC. So? What's your point? A lot of teams had our number then and recently.

Vern is spot on in this thread. I've never seen a coach have as many excuses made for him as had Butch.

Advertisement

LOL what?

Brady Hoke won 11 games and a BCS bowl game. Muschamp also won 11 games and went to a BCS game. Lane Kiffin won 10 under heavy sanctions and one of those losses was against #4 Stanford in triple OT. There are other examples, but I'm not going to list all of them. All of those coaches were HORRIBLE.

Don't forget the elephant in the room. Davis hired a rogue coach at UNC that may or may not helped his stockpiling of players he couldn't win with.

Did they ever win the coastal?

Not only did have never win the Coastal, he never finished higher than 3rd. He finished 3rd twice and fourth twice. Add in he was 0 for 4 against their arch rival in football, that's not a resume anyone would be happy with if they didn't have a hard on for a roster he assembled a decade and a half ago.

Is that really enough to overlook his failures at UNC? Not for me it isn't.

Advertisement

Not only did have never win the Coastal, he never finished higher than 3rd. He finished 3rd twice and fourth twice. Add in he was 0 for 4 against their arch rival in football, that's not a resume anyone would be happy with if they didn't have a hard on for a roster he assembled a decade and a half ago.

****. Given that Miami has NEVER won the coastal and seeks to attain that level of success this information concerns me. Not causal for sure but definitely something to consider.

But Butch would never settle with a Coastal, he settles for national championships only!!!!

What has Herman done?

I already know what Davis has done. If you're not sure then do the research. If you still don't understand the great interest that a lot of fans on this board have for him as head coach, then I won't try to explain it to you. It's not terribly complicated to figure out.

I didn't follow UNC or Butch at the time but I have some memories.

Didn't he get them ranked top 10 for two years or something with a lot of talented players? I think I remeber they had back to back seasons where they opened the season vs LSU and actually almost beat LSU with a ton of players suspended? I really need someone to refresh my memory.

Also rememeber they had a ton of talented guys he recruitted but am not sure. Giovonni Beonard? Hakeem NIicks, Marvin Austin DT, Bruce Carter LB, Coples DE????

Were all these players recruited by Butch?

Also it is true that Todd Gurley was commited to UNC because of BUtch but then later decommited when he was fired?

Tell me everything you know about BUtch and UNC.

THanks./

Advertisement

But Butch would never settle with a Coastal, he settles for national championships only!!!!

And he's never won one of those either.

And wouldn't you think they had crappy coordinators under Butch might be because UNC isn't a football school so they wouldn't pay coordinators big money? They had a lot of close loses in that 2009 season and a crappy QB. Nobody wanted to see that 2010 team and full strength though. They would have dominated the league.

I remember at the beginning of that season, before they were hit with suspensions UNC was being mentioned as a dark horse NC contender. That's a pretty **** amazing feat to accomplish at UNC. Even with 10 starters out they still gave LSU fits.

And wouldn't you think they had crappy coordinators under Butch might be because UNC isn't a football school so they wouldn't pay coordinators big money? They had a lot of close loses in that 2009 season and a crappy QB. Nobody wanted to see that 2010 team and full strength though. They would have dominated the league.

I remember at the beginning of that season, before they were hit with suspensions UNC was being mentioned as a dark horse NC contender. That's a pretty **** amazing feat to accomplish at UNC. Even with 10 starters out they still gave LSU fits.

and yet he hasn't done anything besdies all that talent

he did worse then golden

Advertisement

LOL what?

Brady Hoke won 11 games and a BCS bowl game. Muschamp also won 11 games and went to a BCS game. Lane Kiffin won 10 under heavy sanctions and one of those losses was against #4 Stanford in triple OT. There are other examples, but I'm not going to list all of them. All of those coaches were HORRIBLE.

Those guys are good gameday coaches that are horrible overall coaches. The distinction is relevant to the discussion.

LOL what?

Those guys are good gameday coaches that are horrible overall coaches. The distinction is relevant to the discussion.

No, they're just known for their expertise with schematics.

Game day coaching involves a combination of: decision making (to some effect, delegating to the coordinators on both offense and defense), clock management, ability to motivate players, adjustments during the game (not scripted plays), being able to spot nuances and tendencies of your opponent (you can even steal signals like this), etc...

They were not good overall game day coaches. Muschamp had somewhat of an excuse due to him being a HC for the first time.

Last edited:
I didn't follow UNC or Butch at the time but I have some memories.

Didn't he get them ranked top 10 for two years or something with a lot of talented players? I think I remeber they had back to back seasons where they opened the season vs LSU and actually almost beat LSU with a ton of players suspended? I really need someone to refresh my memory.

Also rememeber they had a ton of talented guys he recruitted but am not sure. Giovonni Beonard? Hakeem NIicks, Marvin Austin DT, Bruce Carter LB, Coples DE????

Were all these players recruited by Butch?

Also it is true that Todd Gurley was commited to UNC because of BUtch but then later decommited when he was fired?

Tell me everything you know about BUtch and UNC.

THanks./

Yo Pee wee Herman22....Butch fits Miami...he did stack unc with talent & in the year he was primed to win big half the team was suspended...

I do like Herman but I fill dude will go out west to USC.....& the Memphis coach he looks good but I think he is to nice for Miami.....

Mario,chud...... come on man really....Butch is the man for this job..he knows what it takes for Miami to be great!!!!

Oh yea did jimmy Johnson win ten games at okie st.....did Nick Saben win ten games at Mich St??

So no Coastal AND no ship with NFL talent?

Advertisement
Back