What current assistant coach would you keep?

CA options

• Likens

Votes: 41 23.8%
  • T-Rob

Votes: 87 50.6%
  • Hickson

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • DVD

Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Clean house

Votes: 26 15.1%

• Total voters
Fvck Classy. We got him from UNLV and we can't run block or recruit OL. He's a great guy and I wish him well, but this kind of thinking is how you end up 7-5 a
Fvck Classy. We got him from UNLV and we can't run block or recruit OL. He's a great guy and I wish him well, but this kind of thinking is how you end up 7-5 again.
He reached out to Mirabal, set up Zoom meetings with OL personnel and sent video. The OL improved this year, especially when personnel changed at RB. I didn’t say keep him at OL, that’s Mirabal’s world.

Advertisement
I think T-Rob and Likens have the best chance of staying as coaches even with the rumors of BMac and Chance coming. I'm cool with letting Hickson go if Mario can bring in Seider. I think Field, DVD, and Aristide are moved to recruiting, if possible. I personally would like to see Aristide stay as I feel like an Aristide + Pata combo would be excellent

Ok, let me rephrase it then. Mario has to build a staff. Mario is a coach with ties to Butch Davis' and Nick Saban's trees. He was Recruiting Coordinator (and AHS/OL) at #1 Alabama for five years. During that time a who's who of top coaches came through and worked with him under Saban. Mario is respected and connected, and practically has a blank check to make top hires.

What are the odds, that the very best we can do at (name a coaching position) is a person who was part of a 7-5 (13-12 last two years) program that just fired their coach? Is a person who's best employment opportunity was to work under Manny Diaz who finished his first year with losses to FIU and LTech, and got throttled by UNC to record levels to end last year? Is a person who happened to already be here making half of what we now have budgeted for the position?

Be unemotional and thoughtful. Think like a leader. It's pretty clear. I'd be surprised if more than one or two are retained, and I'd expect them to be hired in demoted off-field positions.

I understand your point, and it's valid. Why associate yourself with someone who just got canned and for all the other reasons you mentioned. I can't argue that. Taking away from this season and looking at their body of work and track record, it's more indicative of them being a coach or not. To me, they are worthy of a look and interview. If you want to take this season into account, I can argue if not for Likens, we don't get Rambo and the studs we have in WR's. I suspected he had a hand in the play-calling and later got confirmation seeing a post from Cribby that he did. That's a big part of why our offense was successful in the second half of the season with TVD. Our already bad recruiting class would probably be even worse if not for T-Rob. I would not be mad if either remained in staff with a true leader as HC now. They both offer good value to any staff IMO.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I understand your point, and it's valid. Why associate yourself with someone who just got canned and for all the other reasons you mentioned. I can't argue that. Taking away from this season and looking at their body of work and track record, it's more indicative of them being a coach or not. To me, they are worthy of a look and interview. If you want to take this season into account, I can argue if not for Likens, we don't get Rambo and the studs we have in WR's. I suspected he had a hand in the play-calling and later got confirmation from Cribby that he did. That's a big part of why our offense was successful in the second half of the season with TVD. Our already bad recruiting class would probably be even worse if not for T-Rob. I would not be mad if either remained in staff with a true leader as HC now. They both offer good value to any staff IMO.

No, no, no, I don't think you do understand my point... or possibly I am doing a poor job communicating it. Forget who you "associate yourself with," or the impulse to clean house in a culture sweep, or any optics at all for that matter. Just think about making the very best hires we can.

Just read this part again, and zoom out, and think of all the great coaches that are out there at 40 different programs that are better than we are now, and add in some NFL seasoning, and then again, consider that we now have the budget to draw a theoretically much better staff than we have now:

What are the odds, that the very best we can do at (name a coaching position) is a person who was part of a 7-5 (13-12 last two years) program that just fired their coach? Is a person who's best employment opportunity was to work under Manny Diaz who finished his first year with losses to FIU and LTech, and got throttled by UNC to record levels to end last year? Is a person who happened to already be here making half of what we now have budgeted for the position?

For on field positions? Just TRob. I don’t care what anyone says, he didn’t just magically forget how to coach DBs. Hickson and Likens are intriguing as I think they’ve done well with their groups but with the rumors of Brady and McClendon coming, there’s really no spot for Likens. Field, DVD, and Aristide can all head off the field or GTFO. Justice is obviously being replaced by Mirabel and Justice isn’t a good recruiter so….

Oregon players tweeting to promote McClendon as their HC…

Not sure if they would do this or not.

Advertisement
No, no, no, I don't think you do understand my point... or possibly I am doing a poor job communicating it. Forget who you "associate yourself with," or the impulse to clean house in a culture sweep, or any optics at all for that matter. Just think about making the very best hires we can.

Just read this part again, and zoom out, and think of all the great coaches that are out there at 40 different programs that are better than we are now, and add in some NFL seasoning, and then again, consider that we now have the budget to draw a theoretically much better staff than we have now:

I read too fast and probably added a few words that you didn't write in my head by accident. I understand what you're saying. Appreciate your response, and I respect your opinion.

I know the rumor of T-Rob and Cristobal butting heads before, but it should be in the past now, and I doubt Cristobal is like James holding grudges like that.
With a ten-year contract for our HC and an 8M per budget for assistants in place, we can offer assistants stability and top dollar.
Is there any assistant we should keep?
I hope you're right. I'll just say though, it's not always about holding a grudge. Or what if Mario's cool and TRob can't do it? Sometimes you just can't work with somebody.

Field because he has worked with Mario in Oregon after that guys like Hickson,likens,trob and artside could at least get interviewed. I'm fine if he cleans house but if he keeps one or two I'd be fine with that.

Advertisement
The whole defensive staff aside from patke ..Jess..DVD…aristide..Trob..and I’d keep likens..I’ll admit idk much about Garin lol..and the TE coach because he was a recruiter even with Oregon

I hope you're right. I'll just say though, it's not always about holding a grudge. Or what if Mario's cool and TRob can't do it? Sometimes you just can't work with somebody.
They are both cut from the same cloth in the recruiting game. When that happens, there tends to be mutual respect, both are ace recruiters who get who they want, and sometimes you butt heads when you cross paths. It would be great for them to see eye to eye and work together, and I don't believe an incident ten years ago should stop that if Mario determines T-Rob is a good fit for what he wants in his staff moving forward. IMO, T-Rob is someone that Mario could work with no problem, but if it were Manny, not so much.

Keep all of the above…Mario and Trob been patched that old issh up…Fire Patke Now…hire a real LB coach and ST coach and We need a real S & C coach bad if Miami trying to compete with the Top doggs..Let’s Goooo

Advertisement
Am I the only one who doesn't think Likens brought in elite wr talent?

He got Brinson, George (my favorite), and Smith, our primary targets. He helped resurrect Harley's career here, and Rambo had the best year a WR has had here for as long as I can remember. Not just here, but in his previous stops has had some WR's drafted high.

Even where a coach has done a good job, if you can get a better one, do it. Agreed.

Advertisement
Back