What Constitutes Oversigning?

Can someone clarify for me what constitutes "oversigning" (at least for FBS)? The reason I ask is that someone just asked me how I feel about Miami "oversigning" this year, and went on to state that he finds it unethical. I didn't get the impression that we were oversigning at all until I looked it up and came across the following definition:
Oversigning can occur in two ways. First, if a school signs a number of NLI that may bring their total number of counters above the NCAA limit of 85. Second would be to sign more than 25 NLI during the period between National Signing Day and May 31.
So by this definition, would we be "guilty" of oversigning given the fact that we signed 33 NLI?

Advertisement
You posted the definition yet highlighted the wrong sentence. lol

If we oversigned its because we are now above the 85 limit. This means that coach Golden will have to send some under-classmen packing. THAT is the essense of the concept of oversigning. Its when you have to force out existing players (with less than 4 years in the program) to make room for new ones.

It's signing kids you don't have space for. That requires either you force out an existing kid or don't admit a signee. Neither is ethical, I guess. But signing kids to count back to the last class because we signed too few last year and have space for them? Not unethical, and not "oversigning," IMO.

Can someone clarify for me what constitutes "oversigning" (at least for FBS)? The reason I ask is that someone just asked me how I feel about Miami "oversigning" this year, and went on to state that he finds it unethical. I didn't get the impression that we were oversigning at all until I looked it up and came across the following definition:
Oversigning can occur in two ways. First, if a school signs a number of NLI that may bring their total number of counters above the NCAA limit of 85. Second would be to sign more than 25 NLI during the period between National Signing Day and May 31.
So by this definition, would we be "guilty" of oversigning given the fact that we signed 33 NLI?

No, because 8 of them counted towards last years 25

No, because 8 of them counted towards last years 25
Thanks. Can you elaborate on this? Did we have 8 un-used scholarships last year?

Advertisement
We had 18 players sign last year. And I don't know exactly how many, but I believe at least 2 of them counted towards the 2010 class. So that gave us 16 that counted for the 2011 class. So we had room for 9 players to EE this year and count towards the 2011 class(only 8 made it in though). 8(EE's)+25(this class)=33. So we didn't "oversign", we just made up for the room leftover after last year's class.

So elementary yet amazing how many "fans" don't understand how it works. Does any true fan question weather Coach Golden would do anything unethical. Trust in the process. Isn't it obvious the dire straights we were in and what needs to be done? BELIEVE in Coach Golden. Things will be done the right way.

Advertisement
You wanna see oversigning, look at the Auburn's and Bama's. Token posted something about it before. Auburn averaged something like 28 or 29 recruits a class for a 4 year period. Bama was right below them. Then, Saban just uses the medical hardships to get rid of kids he doesn't want anymore, when they are fine to play.

Since there is always attrition on your current roster after signing day, I don't consider going over 85 as oversigning. What I do consider oversigning is when you sign 30 kids for 25 slots (that's not what we did, BTW). By signing 30 for 25 scholarships, you are saying up front that 5 of you guys are not going to get scholarships - even though you just signed with us. The NCAA now allows you to oversign (by my definition) by 3. The Big-10 is the only conference to my knowledge that considers the 85 limit in their oversigning rules (more restrictive than NCAA rules).

Also, bottom line is WE DID NOT OVERSIGN.

We had 18 players sign last year. And I don't know exactly how many, but I believe at least 2 of them counted towards the 2010 class. So that gave us 16 that counted for the 2011 class. So we had room for 9 players to EE this year and count towards the 2011 class(only 8 made it in though). 8(EE's)+25(this class)=33. So we didn't "oversign", we just made up for the room leftover after last year's class.
Thank you.

Advertisement
It's signing kids you don't have space for. That requires either you force out an existing kid or don't admit a signee. Neither is ethical, I guess. But signing kids to count back to the last class because we signed too few last year and have space for them? Not unethical, and not "oversigning," IMO.

Yup

You wanna see oversigning, look at the Auburn's and Bama's. Token posted something about it before. Auburn averaged something like 28 or 29 recruits a class for a 4 year period. Bama was right below them. Then, Saban just uses the medical hardships to get rid of kids he doesn't want anymore, when they are fine to play.

The Med schollie was very early in Saban's time at Bama and majority of that stuck so I guess the kids were really injured. Nah, Miami's been taking oversigning to a next level. Ya'll like Ole Miss, really.

Advertisement

The Med schollie was very early in Saban's time at Bama and majority of that stuck so I guess the kids were really injured. Nah, Miami's been taking oversigning to a next level. Ya'll like Ole Miss, really.
That's probably the most ignorant statement I've read here. Miami is not oversigning at all. Show me where we have oversigned.

lol @ this dumbass. Yea, it was early on and doesn't happen anymore and it stuck. That's why 3 kids went and got second opinions from doctors outside of Bama's team doctors and all 3 were cleared to play and decided to transfer. That's why a kid, who was your 2nd commit of the class was told he was all of a suddenly the 26 and they had no more room for him. That's why you went on to sign another 2 or 3 kids after telling him that. But yea, that was early on. If it was early on, then go ahead and list the number of commits you've gotten over the years. We'll compare them to Miami's and see who is oversigning.

anybody whining about us supposedly oversigning is a ****ing ******
Nobody is whining about it. I was just trying to educate myself on the topic. The person who mentioned it to me is not a Miami fan.

Wasn't directed at you

VT boards and other rivals were
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. I really didn't think we were over-signing, which is why I started this thread (i.e., to educate myself so that I can argue intelligently on the subject when it comes up again).

The fact is Miami has gone 30+ at least twice in the past 5 years. That has to be some record. I would've ran the kids off, not even bother with a med. schollie. Charlie Kirschman had no business sniffing an SEC offer.

Bama needed Zeke Knight badly one year but his medical condition was too questionable.

Advertisement
Back