What are our recruits thinking ?

Advertisement
Advertisement
You’re making a lot of wishful assumptions, which I completely understand because it’s what us fans do when things look as bad as they are, but it’s not wise to do that, because you essentially set yourself up for big disappointments.

Recruiting is gonna be up in the air for the next 3 months until a decision is made with the coaching staff & even then things will still be shaky for this class, a lot of fans are hoping against hope that we’ll hire Cristobal & in less than a month all of these high ranked kids are just gonna come flooding over to Miami & signing with us in February. If you remove the emotion from that scenario & look at it logically & objectively, the likelihood of that happening is slim to none.

You have to also remember that other teams are recruiting too, we’re not in a state of suspended animation where everything stops & waits for Miami to get it’s sh*t together, so in the midst of our turmoil & uncertainty other teams who already have secured & established staffs have just as much (if not an even better) opportunity to recruit these same kids we’re hoping for to a more stable situation.

If you’re a high valued 4/5-star recruit, would it make more sense to sign with a team who doesn’t even know who their coach is going to be or if they’re going to keep the same staff that has colossally failed, or sign with a team where you know for a fact you’ll be playing for a coach & program that will get you developed & playing at a high level?

The 22 class is mostly (except for a few solid prospects) gonna be a wash no matter who we hire.

Just look back at the classes we’ve had since 2016 up until now & look at all the prospects we missed on over the years for one reason or another, then fast forward to right now & ask yourself objectively, what are our chances of signing (insert recruit here) with less than month to recruit them while they’re simultaneously being recruited by better programs?
I have written off this class completely.

I am more convinced than ever before it boils down to coaching over talent. I do not care what anyone tells me. You have to put the talent in a position to win and it will 100% make the coaching better.

Coaching and Culture > Talent

I am hopeful whoever comes in assuming there are changes utilizes the portal which we have had tremendous success with. Please for the love of baby jesus bring in linebackers.

Impromtu rant over.

Clemson, FSU and UF are all ASSTASTIC and we not even taking advantage.

InsideTheU has compiled a good chunk of note on multiple targets for Miami over the weekend, including some on big name guys who are committed elsewhere.

- Miami got Wesley Bissainthe, their top linebacker target, to Hard Rock Stadium for the fourth time this season for their win over Georgia Tech on Saturday. A source also noted that Bissainthe spent some time in Coral Gables last week, which is a big deal seeing as he is just weeks away from a commitment that is set for Thanksgiving Day weekend.

The ‘backer will get a fifth look at Miami this coming weekend when the Hurricanes head up to Tallahassee to take on Florida State and Bissainthe is expected to be in the stands at Doak Campbell Stadium.

People in Coral Gables feel good about where they stand with the Dade County native at this point in the process, and it doesn’t hurt that Florida is struggling and let go of their defensive coordinator Todd Grantham on Sunday night. West Virginia should still be viewed as the dark horse, but the Mountaineers fell to 4-5 on the season and sit in the bottom half of the Big 12 standings.

- Four-star defensive lineman Zane Durant, a Penn State commit out of Orlando Lake Nona, made his way down to South Florida on Saturday to watch Miami’s win. He continues to say all the right things about the Nittany Lions and what they got going on over in Happy Valley, but it is absolutely noteworthy that he made the trip alongside family members.

Durant got a chance to watch multiple true freshmen make plays all over the field in the Hurricanes win over Georgia Tech, and it sounds like that mattered.

Miami was a finalist when he announced his commitment to Penn State on Independence Day, and many thought the Hurricanes were going to be the pick up until the day of. The Hurricanes will continue to recruit Durant until pen meets paper on Early Signing Day on Dec. 15.

- Another Central Florida prospect Miami will continue to recruit is four-star Georgia commit JaCorey Thomas. There is no pressing concern that he is second-guessing his pledge to the Bulldogs, but Thomas told InsideTheU on Sunday night, “I feel locked in with Georgia, but I’m at the point of where like you don’t know what can happen. They can recruit how many other safeties they need in a short amount of time. You really don’t know what’s going to happen. [Ishmael Aristide] told me, ‘We’re here just in case you need somewhere to go when it’s all said and done.’”

Thomas continued to re-iterate that he intends on playing his college football in Athens, but it could be a situation to monitor down the stretch with Georgia playing the type of football that they’re playing right now and their ability to recruit virtually any prospect they want.

Another safety that is trending towards playing in black and red is five-star Kamari Wilson, who has six 247Sports Crystal Ball forecasts to Georgia.

- Nobody really knows exactly how things are going to go down at Florida. The Gators have lost three straight and four of their last five, and that led to Dan Mullen firing offensive line coach John Hevsy and defensive coordinator Todd Grantham. Is it a sure thing that Mullen returns in 2022?

With those questions looming on the minds of many, the Gators have a few commits that Miami had expressed interest in in the past. One guy who the Hurricanes could potentially turn the heat up on is Top247 athlete Isaiah Bond. At one point in the recruiting process, the Hurricanes were the Crystal Ball favorite and it felt like Miami was in a great spot to land the speedy athlete, who was more of a low-key three-star with upside before his fast-rise to the nation’s No. 1 athlete and a Top100 player in the country.

Miami is always looking for speed and Bond is a guy who has visited twice, once officially, and has a close relationship with quarterback Jacurri Brown. If Bond second-guesses his Florida commitment, look for the Hurricanes to be a team that pursues.

- Staying in the Peach State, Miami offered a pair of prospects from Georgia over the last week in Atlanta Riverwood cornerback Jaden Harris and Valdosta High offensive lineman Jacarrius Peak.

People in Coral Gables are high on Harris and what he has been able to put on tape as a senior. There isn’t much verified speed on the senior, but Miami likes the way he moves around and makes plays on the ball. UM is one of six Power 5 programs who have offered since the final days of October. I would expect Miami to be involved moving forward.

- With Peak, there is a connection between his family and some in Jacurri Brown’s camp that could potentially favor Miami if Garin Justice were to decide to push. One source compared Peak to commit Falentha Carswell in the way that they both have exactly what you’re looking for physically but might be underdeveloped in terms of technique and truly learning the offensive line position. Peak was described as a ‘dog’ who could bring physicality to the interior offensive line.

Georgia Tech, Louisville, NC State, Virginia Tech, Virginia, Florida State, and LSU are a few schools who have offered as a senior. The South Georgia native took an unofficial visit to FSU last month.

- Manny Diaz and Rhett Lashlee have been selling the success of Charleston Rambo to 2023 five-star wide receiver Jalen Brown and his family. Those in Brown’s camp have taken notice of the success the UM wide receiver has had this year, and especially with the emergence of Tyler Van Dyke.

- 2023 twin brothers Robby and Bobby Washington spent a part of their Sunday at Miami where they got to tour the facilities and take some photos wearing the teams uniforms. Robby, a four-star athlete, indicated that they had a good time. Bobby, a 6-foot-2, 205-pound linebacker, is having a strong backend of his junior season, which has people in Coral Gables excited. He is a guy who could shoot up the board at linebacker given his size, speed, and willingness to be physical.

I have written off this class completely.

I am more convinced than ever before it boils down to coaching over talent. I do not care what anyone tells me. You have to put the talent in a position to win and it will 100% make the coaching better.

Coaching and Culture > Talent

I am hopeful whoever comes in assuming there are changes utilizes the portal which we have had tremendous success with. Please for the love of baby jesus bring in linebackers.

Impromtu rant over.

Clemson, FSU and UF are all ASSTASTIC and we not even taking advantage.
100% facts.

You could give Manuel Diaz UGA’s roster & he’d still lead them to a 6-6 record.

The worst thing you could do is give a lame duck Coach another season, it will absolutely kill your recruiting for essentially two classes. This class is screwed & if Manny isn’t fired at the end of the season the 2023 class is fcked too.

Prospects aren’t going to sign on with Manny knowing that he’s going to get fired & also because he’s a terrible coach & developer of talent.

If Miami was smart they would’ve taken a page out of LSU’s book & made an announcement that they’re cutting ties with Manny no matter what at seasons end, it would give us a good look on potential HC candidates who are interested & would still give premium recruits something to look forward too.

But of course, the people in charge of this God forsaken program are bunch of rich lazy idiots who don’t give two fcks about Football & are always looking for an easy out from having to do any work or spend any money, hence the two decades of mediocrity.

Advertisement
100% facts.

The worst thing you could do is give a lame duck Coach another season, it will absolutely kill your recruiting for essentially two classes. This class is screwed & if Manny isn’t fired at the end of the season the 2023 class is fcked too.

Prospects aren’t going to sign on with Manny knowing that he’s going to get fired & also because he’s a terrible coach & developer of talent.

If Miami was smart they would’ve taken a page out of LSU’s book & made an announcement that they’re cutting ties with Manny no matter what at seasons end, it would give us a good look on potential HC candidates who are interested & would still give premium recruits something to look forward too.

But of course, the people in charge of this God forsaken program are bunch of rich lazy idiots who don’t give two fcks about Football & are always looking for an easy out from having to do any work or spend any money, hence the two decades of mediocrity.

You're my guy, but come on. Manny ain't going 6-6 with UGA's talent. The rest of it I agree with, but the dude you responded to with this "culture > talent" nonsense is purely that. Culture is only brought up when a team loses. We've played 5 of essentially the same games in a row. If we go 5-0 or even 4-1, which was absolutely possible, nobody is saying a word about culture. A FG doinks to the right and goes in instead of to the left and misses, and nobody says a word about culture. We all know it'd just be lipstick on a pig, the games against these teams really shouldn't be this close, but winning games cures all this stuff.

I obviously agree that Manny (and it's not just Manny, when I say Manny, it's the entire program) continues to do less with more. But talent will always trump everything else. I'm not saying he wouldn't ***** something up and lose a game, but 6-6 is pretty ridiculous. You or I could coach that team to 10 wins with the talent they have, especially on defense.

You're my guy, but come on. Manny ain't going 6-6 with UGA's talent. The rest of it I agree with, but the dude you responded to with this "culture > talent" nonsense is purely that. Culture is only brought up when a team loses. We've played 5 of essentially the same games in a row. If we go 5-0 or even 4-1, which was absolutely possible, nobody is saying a word about culture. A FG doinks to the right and goes in instead of to the left and misses, and nobody says a word about culture. We all know it'd just be lipstick on a pig, the games against these teams really shouldn't be this close, but winning games cures all this stuff.

I obviously agree that Manny (and it's not just Manny, when I say Manny, it's the entire program) continues to do less with more. But talent will always trump everything else. I'm not saying he wouldn't ***** something up and lose a game, but 6-6 is pretty ridiculous. You or I could coach that team to 10 wins with the talent they have, especially on defense.
You protect Manny a lot more than you should...

The point is, he’s an awful coach & I would bet my life if Manny was UGA’s HC they wouldn’t win the SEC & would still have multiple losses that they shouldn’t have because he’s a really ****** coach & that cannot be understated.

Culture does matter & the one that manny has ushered in for this team since he’s been the HC has been one of failing when it matters most & always falling short when expectations are high. You’re giving him the benefit of the doubt of a 1st year HC, but the reality is he’s been here since 2016 & things have only gotten progressively worse the more & more his “leadership” has been filtrated through the rest of the team

Talent of course supersedes all, but one of the key components is ability to acquire & accumulate talent, another thing he’s failed at, in conjunction with the development of talent, something he’s also royally failed at.

Manny is no different than Al Folden & Randy Shannon & no amount of twisting & spinning will change that. He’s gotten exposed every time he played a team that had legit talent or legit coaching staff, a few skin of the teeth wins the last 3 weeks can only fool those desperate to find reasons to justify keeping him.

If Manny is the HC next year, the exact same thing will happen again, except there won’t be any win streaks; this team will NOT under any circumstances win the Coastal or compete for the ACC under Manny.

You protect Manny a lot more than you should...

The point is, he’s an awful coach & I would bet my life if Manny was UGA’s HC they wouldn’t win the SEC & would still have multiple losses that they shouldn’t have because he’s a really ****** coach & that cannot be understated.

Culture does matter & the one that manny has ushered in for this team since he’s been the HC has been one of failing when it matters most & always falling short when expectations are high. You’re giving him the benefit of the doubt of a 1st year HC, but the reality is he’s been here since 2016 & things have only gotten progressively worse the more & more his “leadership” has been filtrated through the rest of the team

Talent of course supersedes all, but one of the key components is ability to acquire & accumulate talent, another thing he’s failed at, in conjunction with the development of talent, something he’s also royally failed at.

Manny is no different than Al Folden & Randy Shannon & no amount of twisting & spinning will change that. He’s gotten exposed every time he played a team that had legit talent or legit coaching staff, a few skin of the teeth wins the last 3 weeks can only fool those desperate to find reasons to justify keeping him.

If Manny is the HC next year, the exact same thing will happen again, except there won’t be any win streaks; this team will NOT under any circumstances win the Coastal or compete for the ACC under Manny.

What I thought about after I posted what I did is what you hit on in that middle paragraph, and I think, more than anything, is what really matters here. I'm not defending him, I think he should be fired, of course. But, to me, it's more because of exactly what you said. "Talent of course supersedes all, but one of the key components is ability to acquire & accumulate talent, another thing he’s failed at, in conjunction with the development of talent, something he’s also royally failed at."

To me, this is much more important than culture, which is a way of lazily explaining ineptitude. Plenty of really good football teams had poor culture, but they won a lot of games because they had good coaching and elite talent. So, while I think he could coach UGA to a good record, because IMO the talent on that team would overshadow most any coaching deficiencies, the real story is that he should be fired because he hasn't been able to stockpile the talent even close to someone like UGA. And you're right, this is Year 6 here, there is absolutely no reason the backers should look how they do. There's no excuse for that. So, while I don't think he's completely useless as a coach, he's not good enough to win or compete with equivalent talent, and he's not recruiting (and evaluating) well enough to stockpile the talent to get to a level where his coaching deficiencies don't cost us football games. You either have to coach better than your opponents, or recruit enough talent for it not to matter. He's not doing either.

Advertisement
100% facts.

IMHO

We are in a different place than LSU in terms of our AD being more of a lame duck than our HC.

New AD gets a chance to evaluate and make a call on his own assuming they make that move.

Let me posit this scenario....

We make it to ACCCG and win youre talking about a 7 game win streak not including the bowl game. We win the bowl game and there is a zero percent chance Manny is fired winning 10 games. Will that happen? That would be the most Miami thing ever.

IMHO

We are in a different place than LSU in terms of our AD being more of a lame duck than our HC.

New AD gets a chance to evaluate and make a call on his own assuming they make that move.

Let me posit this scenario....

We make it to ACCCG and win youre talking about a 7 game win streak not including the bowl game. We win the bowl game and there is a zero percent chance Manny is fired winning 10 games. Will that happen? That would be the most Miami thing ever.
Even if we don't make the ACCCG, if Manny wallops FSU again, and wins out, then UM if firing a guy who's undefeated against our main rival and finishes 8-4 with a decent bowl appearance. Takes some stones to axe that guy and our BOT doesn't have those.

Advertisement
Even if we don't make the ACCCG, if Manny wallops FSU again, and wins out, then UM if firing a guy who's undefeated against our main rival and finishes 8-4 with a decent bowl appearance. Takes some stones to axe that guy and our BOT doesn't have those.
FSU is dog **** and last year was legitimately one of worst P5 programs so that is no accomplishment. We absolutely should win our remaining games. It isn’t gonna be bc of coaching. We are just that much more talented but every game will be close bc of our coaching. I would hope back channels have been made to Cristobal and if so and he is interested you make the move. He recruits well, he has won the conference and he has great coaching experience. I won’t even throw in being a Miami guy bc the other things matter the most. If you really want to show you care and invest money, he’s the guy you take that chance on even though it’s not really a chance bc he has proven what we want. Great recruiting and wins his conference. He’s someone everyone will rally around and support through any hurdles to get this program rolling.
I don’t want another season of let downs and the inevitable when does Manny get fired posts every week. We need stability and Mario brings it.

Luckily now a days you can patch a bad class up with the portal. This class is pretty much screwed with all the uncertainty revolving around the program

I hope they’re thinking stud QB, stud RB’s, line improving, young team - high ceiling. Come join the party

FSU has been AWFUL the past 3 years. Makes us look like Alabama. He doesn't get the same credit he would normally get imo. Undefeated against the turds we may beat that remain means nothing without winning conference. He blew this option. I'm all for axing Blake and letting the new AD make the move. Assuming it's a real AD and not another Blake.

Advertisement
Back