I'd approve of a 4-2-5 with...

FIELD PERSONNEL
Grace
Burns/Elder
Jenkins/Johnson

BOUNDARY PERSONNEL
Carter
Redwine (or one of our other big CB's)

A lot of different coverage options with that personnel. It would also allow us to recruit those LB/S tweener types that are so prevalent in South Florida.

Advertisement
A 4-2-5 with Rip/Liz Match Cover 3 is the simplest defense you can run, and would be all about speed and simplicity.

I love that coverage. Only "open throw" or vacant zone is the outside hitches to the #1 receivers. And even those aren't a guarantee if your CB's play them tight.

Yup. With speedy athletes it would be a beast down here. Good luck out leveraging a Miami team playing that defense.

I've been running it down here for a few years and it screws OC's and QB's up a lot. It looks like Cover-3 so automatically they wanna throw the seam route. Most OC's/QB's aren't patient or humble enough to throw the outside hitches all game and if you're playing press-bail them most QB's won't even look that way.

FIELD PERSONNEL
Grace
Burns/Elder
Jenkins/Johnson

BOUNDARY PERSONNEL
Carter

A lot of different coverage options with that personnel. It would also allow us to recruit those LB/S tweener types that are so prevalent in South Florida.

I like the split field stuff but man I would kill to see us in 4-2-5 personnel with 4-4 principles. Single-high robber, C3 rip/liz.

Edit: just saw you actually run this. Cool stuff.

Advertisement

FIELD PERSONNEL
Grace
Burns/Elder
Jenkins/Johnson

BOUNDARY PERSONNEL
Carter

I like the split field stuff but man I would kill to see us in 4-2-5 personnel with 4-4 principles. Single-high robber, C3 rip/liz.

I'm with you.

My single-high stuff is all rip/liz principles.
My 2-high stuff is split field.

But the first thing I always install is the Cover-3 rip/liz. That's my base defense. I ride that concept until it's perfected and then I toss in a little TCU 4-2-5 stuff to mix it up.

There's been plenty of games where all I needed to run was the single-high rip/liz stuff. It covers everything.

FIELD PERSONNEL
Grace
Burns/Elder
Jenkins/Johnson

BOUNDARY PERSONNEL
Carter

I'm with you.

But the first thing I always install is the Cover-3 rip/liz. That's my base defense. I ride that concept until it's perfected and then I toss in a little TCU 4-2-5 stuff to mix it up.

There's been plenty of games where all I needed to run was the single-high rip/liz stuff. It covers everything.

Yea I think you can have that as a base, and then some soft C2 as a change up and you have an easy, highly sound defense.

FIELD PERSONNEL
Grace
Burns/Elder
Jenkins/Johnson

BOUNDARY PERSONNEL
Carter

I'm with you.

I know you've said less than positive things about Grace in the past, but he was born for these looks. I think he's going to be really helpful to an NFL defense at some point. Guys like Levonte David and Danny Trevathan show how important it is to have LBs with these skill sets against pro spread sets. I think a ton of teams, including the idiotic Dolphins, unnecessarily passed on Kwon Alexander this last draft for many of the same concerns Grace will face. I think Grace should stay for another season, though. It's in his best interest to continue to add strength, size and flash his true game speed in a defensive scheme that doesn't make you solve algebra problems before every tackle.

Advertisement

My favorite line:
"There is nothing worse than a secondary coach who is always worried about getting beat deep"

This man just belongs here.

That's funny.. I think we can dig up a couple videos where Dorito says "No matter what we don't want to get beat deep..We want to keep Everything in front of us on every play."

Correction, this is my favorite line:

"“I do not believe the 4-2-5 defense is the best defense ever made,” Patterson said at the coaching clinic in 2011. “The bottom line is this: Does your defense fit your personnel, and can you fix that defense? When you are in a game and the offense causes you a problem, do you have the answer so you can correct the problem?”"

PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE, all I want for Christmas is Gary Patterson......yes, just a little h0m0.

Last edited:
Advertisement

FIELD PERSONNEL
Grace
Burns/Elder
Jenkins/Johnson

BOUNDARY PERSONNEL
Carter

I'm with you.

I know you've said less than positive things about Grace in the past, but he was born for these looks. I think he's going to be really helpful to an NFL defense at some point. Guys like Levonte David and Danny Trevathan show how important it is to have LBs with these skill sets against pro spread sets. I think a ton of teams, including the idiotic Dolphins, unnecessarily passed on Kwon Alexander this last draft for many of the same concerns Grace will face. I think Grace should stay for another season, though. It's in his best interest to continue to add strength, size and flash his true game speed in a defensive scheme that doesn't make you solve algebra problems before every tackle.

I'm willing to give Grace the benefit of the doubt considering the staff he's played under. I just thought he looked a little lost in the beginning of the season. (took a lot of poor run fits) He definitely looked better as the year went on.

I had to remind myself that our DC tells Linebackers to initiate contact as opposed to playing with speed and getting off blocks.

Maybe a change in philosophy means that we will start recruiting the Skai Moores, James Burgess, Adrienne Talans and Jermaine Graces of the world on a consistent basis?

I'd take a Linebacker core full of guys who run 4.5 any day.

Maybe a change in philosophy means that we will start recruiting the Skai Moores, James Burgess, Adrienne Talans and Jermaine Graces of the world on a consistent basis?

I don't think much more needs to be said than the story of Denzyl Perryman. He's arguably the best defender during Golden's tenure. They didn't really want him. That's not a message board myth. That's a **** real life story. Multiple guys who don't even know each other were told the staff (sometimes by the staff members themselves) preferred to pass on Perryman.

Advertisement

I don't think much more needs to be said than the story of Denzyl Perryman. He's arguably the best defender during Golden's tenure. They didn't really want him. That's not a message board myth. That's a **** real life story. Multiple guys who don't even know each other were told the staff (sometimes by the staff members themselves) preferred to pass on Perryman.

That's ridiculous. LOL

I tend to dwell (or fantasize) about what could be if we had a staff that truly the knew the make-up of South FLA athletes.

We would've had a LB core of Grace, Perryman and Moore (or Burgess). SMH

Advertisement
Back