what about a 4-2-5 defense??

deerob305

Junior
I saw that Alabama runs this type of defense, what if we ran it?? We are pretty thin at LB, and CB... more speed and our best players

DE: Chad Thomas
DT: Anthony Moten
DT: Gerald Willis or Kendrick Norton
DE: AQM (if he stays) or Gerald Willis
LB: Jermaine Grace/ Darrion Owens
LB :Juwon Young/ Shaq Quarterman
CB: Corn Elder
S:Rayshawn Jenkins
S: Jaquan Johnson
Rover: Jamal Carter/ Marques Gayot
CB: Sheldrick Redwine

Advertisement
Anything with 4 down lineman is what UM needs

Makes sense..we could run a 4-3 also, just wanted to get the best on the field

Agreed. I think next year it would be best if we run a 4-3 especially if Darrion Owens comes back healthy. Our safety depth is bad. LB isn't much better, unless Shaq, McCloud, Pinckney all come in ready to see the field, which I actually expect.

As the new coach molds the roster, hopefully one filled with Miami type players, we could use a 4-2-5 more often. It's going to have to be used though, all these teams going to a spread, it's the only way to defend it.

Advertisement

Agreed. I think next year it would be best if we run a 4-3 especially if Darrion Owens comes back healthy. Our safety depth is bad. LB isn't much better, unless Shaq, McCloud, Pinckney all come in ready to see the field, which I actually expect.

As the new coach molds the roster, hopefully one filled with Miami type players, we could use a 4-2-5 more often. It's going to have to be used though, all these teams going to a spread, it's the only way to defend it.

Miami can run the 4-2-5 with Grace at Rover when team's go spread.

Good call man. Didn't think about that. Grace definitely has speed for it

While it is not like there is just one 4-2-5 defense (kind of like there is not just one "spread" offense), I love the base idea here. Particularly because it plays to our rercruiting strengths so well, while minimizing some of our weaknesses.

Advertisement
We will not be thin at LB. it will be a team strength next year. Owens, Grace, Young, Gordinier, shaq, Pickney, etc.
Multiple people have told me Gordinier was going to start the Duke game before Golden was fired. When he was fired the staff decided to do the right thing and allow Gordinier to get 4 years with a new coach and keep him red shirted. The most natural, extremely smart LB on the team. You will see...this kid will be on the field next year in a versatile role.

Why? What's so good about 4 hands in the ground?

Because currently we do not have a good enough DT or NT that can prove to generate any kind of pressure with a 3 man front. Chad Thomas, Quan, and Gerald Willis are all considerably better with their hand in the ground coming off the edge.

I mean, I'm probably just paranoid from watching the 3 down lineman system that Golden has shown us, nothing against a 3-4 in general if it is run the right way. But in the next few years for this team, until we can prove to recruit and develop really good interior lineman, I think 4 hands in the ground is the way to go.

Advertisement

Miami has done this at times this year. I forget the game right now, but when JaQuan got an interception there were 4 down linemen, Grace and Carter were lined up as LB's and the secondary was Bush, JaQuan, Burns, Tracy and Elder.

A 4-2-5 with Rip/Liz Match Cover 3 is the simplest defense you can run, and would be all about speed and simplicity.

Advertisement
I saw that Alabama runs this type of defense, what if we ran it?? We are pretty thin at LB, and CB... more speed and our best players

DE: Chad Thomas
DT: Anthony Moten
DT: Gerald Willis or Kendrick Norton
DE: AQM (if he stays) or Gerald Willis
LB: Jermaine Grace/ Darrion Owens
LB :Juwon Young/ Shaq Quarterman
CB: Corn Elder
S:Rayshawn Jenkins
S: Jaquan Johnson
Rover: Jamal Carter/ Marques Gayot
CB: Sheldrick Redwine

I couldn't agree more. I have been asking for this for a while now.

A 4-2-5 with Rip/Liz Match Cover 3 is the simplest defense you can run, and would be all about speed and simplicity.

I love that coverage. Only "open throw" or vacant zone is the outside hitches to the #1 receivers. And even those aren't a guarantee if your CB's play them tight.

Why? What's so good about 4 hands in the ground?

Because currently we do not have a good enough DT or NT that can prove to generate any kind of pressure with a 3 man front. Chad Thomas, Quan, and Gerald Willis are all considerably better with their hand in the ground coming off the edge.

I mean, I'm probably just paranoid from watching the 3 down lineman system that Golden has shown us, nothing against a 3-4 in general if it is run the right way. But in the next few years for this team, until we can prove to recruit and develop really good interior lineman, I think 4 hands in the ground is the way to go.

I just wanted to see what you'd say. LOL

I love that coverage. Only "open throw" or vacant zone is the outside hitches to the #1 receivers. And even those aren't a guarantee if your CB's play them tight.

Yup. With speedy athletes it would be a beast down here. Good luck out leveraging a Miami team playing that defense.

Advertisement
Back