What a disappointing effort vs ND...

Advertisement
If we're in the Top 20 in most rankings and RPI by the end of the season, we'll have a good shot at hosting a Regional based on previous years and the way they award the host sites. However, we'll likely be hosting the best 2/3/4 seeds that the committee can throw at us, and will be looking an elite Top 3 team in the face on the road for a Super Regional if we make it that far...and that will make for a **** tough road to Omaha. I want us to keep getting better, keep winning, and maybe get our RPI in the Top 15 and our Ranking in the Top 10...THEN we would be a mortal lock for a Regional host site, and would likely get easier opponents for both the Regional/Super Regional.

I could go on the football board and make outrageous claims like Tracy Howard is going to make everyone forget about Richard Sherman, Chad Thomas is going to be our Aldon Smith from day one (without all the drama), and that Kevin Olsen is the next coming of Drew Brees...but all of those wild claims and blind faith don't make it true...just like saying things like Ruiz/Thompson being back in the lineup will make it one of the best lineups of all-time. That's just crazy. It's based on NOTHING...just homerism and hope.

I root for these guys as hard as anybody, but as txcanes got told when he was being Mr. PollyAnna all the time, just because we see actual real issues with the program and point them out doesn't make us less of a fan than all of you who are perpetual "proponents".

The Clemson series is going to tell us a lot about this team. Clemson's not a bad ballclub. If we play like we did against ND for the better part of this last series against Clemson...they'll sweep us. IF that happens, at that point--some of the super-positive fans will be yelling "15 out of 19", but those amongst us who know that we just got swept against a good team will know what's up. You guys can't keep your heads in the sand forever.

I want these guys to go into Clemson and sweep them...that would help tremendously. I don't see it happening though, even though I'll be rooting hard for it to happen.

6-3 vs CU, Duke and UNC would be spectacular. And as I mentioned in another thread Alabama St. is a solid club, there are no gimmies left.

Advertisement
That's reality. There are really solid arguments on both sides. Morris is not what he used to be, but neither is recruiting when the NCAA slants the playing field in favor of state schools with minimal scholarships for baseball.

As to the "steak"...it is a great accomplishment, no question, but it was against subpar competition for the most part, let's be honest. UCF and FAU may have been THE highlight challenges in that stretch...though road series in the ACC are no joke.

When stuff like that happens in the regular season, I always remember the F$U seasons of like 45-6 or whatever and them winning nada...fun for a little while...but meaningless in the long run.

I have longed pegged this week as what will show what this team is about. A full 4 game away stretch at FAU in Boca Wednesday and at Clemson for 3. Clemson is a good match up..just behind F$U..and similar results against Pitt, UVA, FSU, etc.

We take Wednesday and 2 out of 3 at Clemson..I'm feeling a little better than I do now. I really expected a close first game against the Shame as the teams got acquainted on Saturday..then beat downs from there. Wasn't too encouraging...but a nice streak nonetheless..

UM

Adding someone who was batting .328 will definitively improve the team next year. This is not "wishing" it were so; it is a fact. Adding a formerly starting 3rd baseman will also improve the team. If you actually followed the team, you will note that, the vast majority of the time, players progressively become more accustomed to college pitching and one sees the greatest improvement between their 2nd and 3rd year. You also note a marked improvement between the 1st and 2nd year as well.

Abreu and Collins undoubtedly love the Hurricanes, but they did not eschew MLB monetary sums because of their blind fanaticism. Miami simply puts more players into the minor and major leagues than almost all other programs.

The typical baseball player pays $7,500 to play at a state school and must invest $30,000 per year to study at Miami. The Hurricanes compete at a huge disadvantage.

I think that this is the 2nd best team we have fielded since 2008. The other good team that we had should have taken the Gators, who were ranked #2 at the time, to the 3rd game of the Supers. Perez turned a routine throw into a run, which led to extra innings rather than a certain win. He then did the very same thing in the Regionals the following year.

I am exceedingly elated with the team's performance this year and expect comparable-to-better results over the next three years, which is incredible in light of the NCAA's asinine regulations, which adversely impact top tier private institutions.

Adding someone who was batting .328 will definitively improve the team next year. This is not "wishing" it were so; it is a fact. Adding a formerly starting 3rd baseman will also improve the team. If you actually followed the team, you will note that, the vast majority of the time, players progressively become more accustomed to college pitching and one sees the greatest improvement between their 2nd and 3rd year. You also note a marked improvement between the 1st and 2nd year as well.
No...it's not all "fact".

You're assuming a lot of things are going to happen:

1) That Thompson will be healthy and fully recovered from surgery.
2) That Thompson's injuries/surgeries won't hamper his play going forward.
3) That Thompson will see marked improvement from year 2 to 3.
4) That Ruiz will see marked improvement from year 1 to 2.
5) That our team, in general, will see improvement from year to year.
6) That we'll be able to rebuild our starting pitching staff.
7) That we improve enough defensively to not kill ourselves with errors.
8) That we improve enough offensively to not have to rely on our pitching/defense as much.

That's a lot of things to assume for the sake of claiming your scenario to be "fact". It could happen and fall into place and be straight cash money...but it hasn't always worked that way for us lately, now has it?

Abreu and Collins undoubtedly love the Hurricanes, but they did not eschew MLB monetary sums because of their blind fanaticism. Miami simply puts more players into the minor and major leagues than almost all other programs.
I can somewhat agree with this. Having Abreu and Collins for 3 seasons is going to do nothing but help us, as long as they continue to develop at the plate and especially in the field (and that goes double for Collins--he has to get better behind the plate, or specialize at another position).

The typical baseball player pays $7,500 to play at a state school and must invest $30,000 per year to study at Miami. The Hurricanes compete at a huge disadvantage.
All of this has been covered ad-nauseum on here. You're not bringing anything new to the plate that we don't know regarding the scholly rules and private schools. I think the point that some have made is that there ARE private schools out there who are still **** good programs (us included), so it is possible to do. We just have to figure out how to get from "good" to "championship" status again.

I think that this is the 2nd best team we have fielded since 2008. The other good team that we had should have taken the Gators, who were ranked #2 at the time, to the 3rd game of the Supers. Perez turned a routine throw into a run, which led to extra innings rather than a certain win. He then did the very same thing in the Regionals the following year.
Broad also bobbled a grounder at 3B that doomed us in extras--I was in Gainesville for that game. Even that 2008 team had issues defensively that have just gotten progressively worse since then under Morris. Errors and miscues fall at the foot of the coach. If they're not coaching precision and limiting mistakes, then they're not doing their job. This is where a lot of us see an issue, and feel that Morris is falling short. Feel free to disagree, but things like that speak directly to coaching.

I am exceedingly elated with the team's performance this year and expect comparable-to-better results over the next three years, which is incredible in light of the NCAA's asinine regulations, which adversely impact top tier private institutions.
We're glad you're elated, and most of us share joy at the recent winning streak and winning 15 of the last 16...it's a great streak, and we're all happy. It's up to Morris and the rest of the coaches to build off of that, and keep bringing us back up to the elite status where Miami Hurricanes baseball should be at. You might expect comparable-to-better results moving forward, but seeing as how we've had a downward trend since 2008, Morris has to show me something before I can share in your optimism about the future...NCAA regs not withstanding.

Last edited:
Morris is undoubtedly somewhat more distracted than during his initial years at the helm, but 70% of the problem is scholarship limitations. They are able to field a solid team, whereas, public universities literally can recruit 2-3 teams. It is a lot easier to demand "precision" as you say, when there is a backup that can steal your spot. We can afford 1 Abreu for every 2-3 that the public universities can afford. We have to rely on Sargents and Broads because they can pay their own way. In 2010 or 2011, who do you replace Perez with? No one because your tuition is 4x greater.

My biggest worry is our next coach, who undoubtedly will be DiMare. Morris has not forgotten how to coach, he is simply not as motivated.

I am elated with this class and feel that we will have a top-15 team for the next 2+ years. Also, I would venture to say that in the playoffs, Morris is a top-5 coach.

Advertisement
I'm not sure why even bother watching the rest of the season. We lost to Notre Dame on Sunday. Season over. No way we can host a regional now.

Thanks for bringing some realism canesproponent to this board, even though your statement about the greatest lineup of all time next season is way too premature. Not having Thompson in the lineup especially postseason time will hurt. BRad needs to start pitching a little bit better.

Last edited:
I guess Baseball America is also 100% incorrect about Miami being a host and a #1 seed right now. C'mon admit it you want us to lose so you stick your chest out and say see I told you.

If you look beyond their record, you'll notice that ND has played a ton of close games. Their defense is a disaster and they are a poor hitting team, but they've got a couple excellent pitchers that keep them in games. Namely their Friday and Saturday starters.

They are able to field a solid team, whereas, public universities literally can recruit 2-3 teams. It is a lot easier to demand "precision" as you say, when there is a backup that can steal your spot. We can afford 1 Abreu for every 2-3 that the public universities can afford.

This just isn't true. Looks like someone doesn't follow college baseball. The maximum roster is 35, the maximum number of scholarship athletes is 27. Florida and Miami have the exact same roster-size limitations. Explain to me how Florida can recruit 2-3 teams. Thanks.

Advertisement
I guess Baseball America is also 100% incorrect about Miami being a host and a #1 seed right now. C'mon admit it you want us to lose so you stick your chest out and say see I told you.

Baseball America's last post-season projection was on April 10th. As in two weeks ago. But keep looking foolish. Makes the rest of us look smarter. Our RPI is now at #26. Maybe if we drop to #40 we can be a national seed. At least in your mind.

If you look beyond their record, you'll notice that ND has played a ton of close games. Their defense is a disaster and they are a poor hitting team, but they've got a couple excellent pitchers that keep them in games. Namely their Friday and Saturday starters.

Which makes the seven runs allowed on Sunday that much more disappointing.

txcanes got told nothing pal - and Clemson sweep is possible, but its just luck right Mr Realism. Just stop cheering for the Canes folks - we do not need your brand of realism. Please, learn how to cheer for a team. And yes, it does make you less of a fan.

Advertisement

Dont try to talk to these pessimists CTCANE - you will be called a Pollyanna!!! Some poor excuses for fans. Are there issues? Of course folks - but dwell on these every chance you can?? In the midst of a great run? - and hey realistic folks - all these great teams play some very average teams and could have the winning streaks, but do not! Enjoy the season folks - who knows how good or bad they will end up, but cheer for them!

Winning 18 out of 19 no matter who you play is impressive. However, don't worry if we don't make it to Omaha all the Morris haters will be back. They are laying low now waiting to pounce.

I cannot believe some of the posts in this thread. It's as if the only possible way some fans get excited about Canes baseball is if Morris is fired.

Over the past month no team has been hotter than Miami and they're doing if offensively on the backs of several freshmen. The sins of the past are there, but I choose to live in the present and I, for one, am crazy excited with how the team is currently doing.

Don't look now, but the Canes are in 1st place in the ACC. Try to enjoy it.

I cannot believe some of the posts in this thread. It's as if the only possible way some fans get excited about Canes baseball is if Morris is fired.

Over the past month no team has been hotter than Miami and they're doing if offensively on the backs of several freshmen. The sins of the past are there, but I choose to live in the present and I, for one, am crazy excited with how the team is currently doing.

Don't look now, but the Canes are in 1st place in the ACC. Try to enjoy it.

Exactly - if you are positive you are called out as not facing reality. In the midst of a great run and season turnaround. Enjoy the teams growth!!

Advertisement
Back