Off-Topic What’s on your plate?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Seems like not that long ago, meats like flank, skirt etc, Which at one time were considered lesser, and therefore less expensive cuts of meat, are more expensive than “better” cuts of meat like NY strip, or ribeyes, or filet mignons, etc. etc. Is it because they become so popular? I mean I like all those cuts of meat, but it seems like a prime ribeye or strip should be more expensive than those cuts.

Seems like not that long ago, meats like flank, skirt etc, Which at one time were considered lesser, and therefore less expensive cuts of meat, are more expensive than “better” cuts of meat like NY strip, or ribeyes, or filet mignons, etc. etc. Is it because they become so popular? I mean I like all those cuts of meat, but it seems like a prime ribeye or strip should be more expensive than those cuts.
That's how Italians came up with Braciole...back in the early 1900s in Italy, the Italian peasants would take the toughest and cheapest cut of meat....pound it out, roll it with fresh herbs, bread crumbs, Broccoli Rabe, prosciutto etc...tie the ends...brown it off in Olive Oil, and then let it braise in Marinara sauce....Fast forward to today, and I use Bottom Round, or Top Round & have a butcher slice it thin for Braciole. Most Butchers (even at Publix) know what you mean if you ask them to slice it for Braciole.

That's how Italians came up with Braciole...back in the early 1900s in Italy, the Italian peasants would take the toughest and cheapest cut of meat....pound it out, roll it with fresh herbs, bread crumbs, Broccoli Rabe, prosciutto etc...tie the ends...brown it off in Olive Oil, and then let it braise in Marinara sauce....Fast forward to today, and I use Bottom Round, or Top Round & have a butcher slice it thin for Braciole. Most Butchers (even at Publix) know what you mean if you ask them to slice it for Braciole.

Grazie, paisano!

So many great dishes of today came from doing more with less... brisket or flanken (both braised like ****** style or BBQ), pastrami/corned beef, ossobucco, frying old chickens, among countless others.

Advertisement
Bottom round braises fantastically.

I ❤️ braciole

@SpikeUM ....Those Braised Short Ribs always are one of my go to's....I do a version where I braise them in Dr. Pepper believe it or not, and serve them on Polenta..I have absolutely no doubt my GF would order the Trout Picatta....

Dinner was incredible, I had the best duck ever, the others had Halibut Picatta and Trout Almandine. I started with the Lobster Bisque, which was also superb. There are a number of great restaurants here, and Best Cellar is one of the best.

Advertisement
Dinner was incredible, I had the best duck ever, the others had Halibut Picatta and Trout Almandine. I started with the Lobster Bisque, which was also superb. There are a number of great restaurants here, and Best Cellar is one of the best.
I'm glad you enjoyed, Menu looked outstanding...only thing on the menu that was perplexing was the Veal Scaloppine, normally it doesn't have Marsala Wine, that would make it just a Veal Marsala (or Chicken Marsala)...I guess it's just their version. (Please tell me the Bisque had some nice pieces of Lobster, and not all broth...)

Last edited:
I'm glad you enjoyed, Menu looked outstanding...only thing on the menu that was perplexing was the Veal Scaloppine, normally it doesn't have Marsala Wine, that would make it just a Veal Marsala (or Chicken Marsala)...I guess it's just their version. (Please tell me the Bisque had some nice pieces of Lobster, and not all broth...)

The lobster bisque had pieces, but not as many as pre-covid. The desserts were also awesome, white chocolate cheesecake and chocolate mousse cake. Bottle of wine was OSV red blend, never heard of it before but it was good.

My son wanted to try wagyu, but it was ridiculously expensive, so we got prime filet mignon instead. Today we made filet au poivre with Caesar salad. This is probably the best steak I've ever eaten.

20221023_172516.jpg

20221023_194650.jpg

Advertisement
I have been thinking about trying wagyu as well. Looking at the website of a local butcher it seems to be $100 per.

The marbling on that meet is perfection. However, ya don’t au poivre a good piece of meet like that round Nahunta way. Round Nahunta, you only au poivre meet you think might have been left in the ice box a lil two long.
The entire purpose from the get go was to make it au poivre.

The butcher also had some prime NY strips that had beautiful marbling and they would not have gotten the same treatment. Maybe next time.

Advertisement
Back