Wesley Bissainthe has added 30 pounds since arriving at Miami, ready to lead LBs

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator

When Mario landed in Miami, he didn’t even change out of his suit before traveling to Miami Central to watch LB Wesley Bissainthe. Two years later, Bissainthe is a key defender on the most important team of the Cristobal era. Bissainthe joined the CanesInSight Podcast to discuss his progress and his relationship with Canes Connection.

A summary of Bissainthe’s interview is below:

On Derek Nicholson’s promotion to Co-DC: My relationship with Coach D-Nic, man, we're very...

Continue reading...

Advertisement
Before spring practice began I knew this was going to be a pivotal time for Wes. Either he was going to take the next step in his development or he was going to get passed up by one of the hungry young LBs. By all accounts Wes has answered the bell and responded by being in the best shape of his career while having an excellent first half of Spring practice. Coach Guidry has said himself that Wes has improved tremendously from where he was last season. I expect Wes to have his best year by far and for him and Kiko to be one of the best starting tandems in college. I see our top 4 LBs as Kiko, Wes, Popo and Chase Smith. Can't wait to see them play!

Last edited:
I’m glad we are finally getting the type of depth where we don’t have to wait 5 years for a guy to finally have the light come on. If by your 3rd year you can’t figure this thing out, you will be passed up by a younger player. Looks like Wes does not fall into that category and I love to see it because he had a lot of well deserved hype out of HS and sounds like he’s putting it all together for a monster Jr year.

Advertisement
That's how much he's gained since he arrived as a freshman

Yeah - the title of this article is a bit misleading.

Bissainthe said he weighed 220 lbs last summer, so really he's just the same weight he played at last season.

He was also 205 lbs on his recruiting profile, but is saying he actually started at 193. But the roster still says 205.

In any case - I hope he steps up and the flashes he's shown become more consistent and he has a big year.

30 pounds from when? If he's added 30 lbs since December, then he is fat.

Edit : He says "from when I got here." That's better.

Advertisement
I hope @DMoney can do more of these alongside Canes Connection. This is a great idea to be able to do more 1 on 1 conversations with current players. Thank you!

Advertisement
Wes is similar to Kiko in terms of thriving when he comes downhill, except he has problems wrapping up at times.

Both are liabilities in coverage, not sure the 30lbs will help with that. Personally I’d like to grab a KJ Cloyd-esque LB from the spring portal that is better moving sideline to sideline in coverage.

Rule #2 is never look at the rooster. It’s all fake.

This is right behind rule #1, which is never listen to a coach.

You’ll be a lot better off.
I don't know - I think roster heights/weights are correct for the most part. But I agree a handful for whatever reason are always way off.

4 of the 5 guys we just sent to the combine had height/weights that were pretty spot on with the roster (Cohen's weight was off by 20 lbs)

About 80% correct & 20% off sounds right to me (somewhere in that range).

Advertisement
Yeah - the title of this article is a bit misleading.

Bissainthe said he weighed 220 lbs last summer, so really he's just the same weight he played at last season.

He was also 205 lbs on his recruiting profile, but is saying he actually started at 193. But the roster still says 205.

In any case - I hope he steps up and the flashes he's shown become more consistent and he has a big year.
Don't put any faith into roster measurements. They are notoriously inaccurate.

He's #1 on my list of guys that need a breakout season. It's been a long time since we had 2 good (not just competent) LBs on the field at the same time.

Rule #2 is never look at the rooster. It’s all fake.

This is right behind rule #1, which is never listen to a coach.

You’ll be a lot better off.
Rooster GIF

Advertisement
Back