Weldon talks backup QB race, expectations for LSU

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Redshirt freshman QB Cade Weldon has been locked in a battle for the backup job with fellow Miami QB’s N’Kosi Perry and Jarren Williams since spring ball. While Weldon was listed as the co-backup with Perry on UM’s depth chart released earlier this week, Miami announced today that Perry would be suspended for the LSU game for a violation of team rules. That means Weldon will officially be the backup behind Malik Rosier for the Canes' tilt against the Tigers on Sunday and could potentially make his college debut in one of UM's biggest games of the season.

“I feel pretty good about it right now,” Weldon said on the backup race. “There’s a lot of talent in that room. We’re all trying to compete to the best of our abilities, which is going to make everyone better. Malik’s the dude, other guys, we’re still learning, trying to do the best we can do, but I feel really good about it right now.”

After missing half of spring ball with an eye infection, Weldon was limited in what he could show and was written off by many in the QB race. However, this fall behind the scenes, Weldon has gotten plenty of buzz as a much improved version of himself from last season. The 6’3” 212 pounder has shown off upgraded accuracy, as well as maturation on the mental side of the game, going through his progressions and making the proper read.

“This is definitely the best camp I’ve had,” Weldon said. “The most comfortable I’ve been since I’ve been here for sure. One of the areas I’ve progressed a lot in is definitely the mental aspect. So yeah, I’d definitely say things are slowing down for me and I’m becoming more comfortable out there.

“One thing that I’ve improved on is my accuracy. Another area I think has been a big deal for me is taking good care of the ball. Coach (Mark) Richt has always said ‘Don’t turn a bad play into a catastrophe’ and I think that’s something I really started to adopt in my game.”

Of course, Weldon doesn’t do it all himself. Miami has been recruiting at an elite level in the WR department for a few years now, and you’re seeing the fruits of that labor starting to pay off with incredible depth at the position.

“The talent we have here is out of control,” Weldon said on his receiver group. “I think, from last year to now, you can definitely see it’s really been turned up a notch on Greentree, just the competitiveness. Because you are able to go three racks deep. We got ones, twos, threes. We got the depth at every rack to compete. So, it’s been really fun to watch these guys grow and develop. Obviously some still have a lot to learn, but it’s been fun to come out here and watch these guys make plays.”

True freshman Jarren Williams has been running fourth all fall in the QB competition, but will be QB3 in Sunday’s game. What has Weldon seen from Williams that gives him confidence in his development?

“Jarren’s doing very well, he has a great arm,” Weldon said. “I see a lot of myself in Jarren. At the quarterback position, you’re going to have to sit there and take the time to understand the mental aspect of the game, because at the college level, that’s such a big part of it. He’s still learning, he’s still young, but he definitely has the talent to be very, very great.”

After a long wait, the Canes will officially kick off their season against #25 LSU in Arlington, Texas on Sunday. Weldon elaborated a bit on just what he’s seen on film from the Tigers’ defense and what he’s expecting coming in.

“I think we’re going to be able to do a lot of good things against them,” Weldon said on the Tigers. “LSU likes to play a lot of man, so that’s going to put a lot of… not pressure I’d say, but we’re going to have to step up and make some big time throws.”

Any predictions for how the game will go?

“We’re gonna beat em, that’s all I know.”

Advertisement
I have always felt he was underrated and under appreciated. Have the size, athleticism and bloodline to be a starter here. Not saying he ever is but don’t feel the board gos him a fair shake. Got to remember that his relationship with Richt is deep so for sure CMR is going to give him every opportunity.

Finally a player who doesn't mention the omnipotency of a great SEC defense. Love his humble confidence. Happy this kid could improve his stock so much in the last 6 months. If he entered the game for whatever reason, I wouldn't be the slightest bit worried.

Advertisement
Been on this Kids side since he’s been here.Would feel fine if he needed to go in but if he has to I want it to be a mop up type thing not a Malik got hurt type thing.

How much would we had killed to have weldon on roster during the kyle/kirby years

Been on this Kids side since he’s been here.Would feel fine if he needed to go in but if he has to I want it to be a mop up type thing not a Malik got hurt type thing.

Yeah, I absolutely agree with U. Weldon isn't ready to face the likes of a NASTY SEC defense in the form of LSwho.

Advertisement
Happy with our QB depth right now. I trust they'll be able to handle their moment if called upon.

Advertisement
Too many people sleep on Weldon. By suspending Kosi for game 1, Richt is showing that he has confidence in Weldon if he is needed.

Finally a player who doesn't mention the omnipotency of a great SEC defense. Love his humble confidence. Happy this kid could improve his stock so much in the last 6 months. If he entered the game for whatever reason, I wouldn't be the slightest bit worried.
A lot of people don’t remember that he missed a year of football...takes awhile to get your mojo back. Not all guys are blessed just to pick up where they left off.

Advertisement
Too many people sleep on Weldon. By suspending Kosi for game 1, Richt is showing that he has confidence in Weldon if he is needed.

My take on it is that by suspending Kosi for game 1 Richt is actually showing that he won’t tolerate noncompliance with the rules and standards, even if you’re potentially the future starter at QB and regardless of who the backups are. I don’t view it as related to whether Weldon or someone else can get the job done.
I do though agree with you that too many people sleep on Weldon, that Richt has confidence in him, and hope Weldon balls out if given the chance.

My take on it is that by suspending Kosi for game 1 Richt is actually showing that he won’t tolerate noncompliance with the rules and standards, even if you’re potentially the future starter at QB and regardless of who the backups are. I don’t view it as related to whether Weldon or someone else can get the job done.
I do though agree with you that too many people sleep on Weldon, that Richt has confidence in him, and hope Weldon balls out if given the chance.
Fair point.

Advertisement
Back