Welcome to the U?

Advertisement
strauzer is the man with this ****. im sure he will be chiming in here in the near future.

Advertisement
Coach Jim Larranaga beat out mom for Dallas (TX) Prime Prep Academy three-star forward Omar Sherman.

At least in terms of who found out first about his plan to commit to the Hurricanes.

Sherman made up his mind yesterday and called Larranaga last night. After that conversation he told his mother he was a Cane.

"I hadn't told her what I was going to do - she was so happy for me, went crazy," Sherman said. "When I talked to coach L he was shocked at first. He's recruited me for a long time."

In the end Sherman says he chose UM over Wichita State and Weber State.

He says the commitment is "a done deal. I'm signing in November."

Sherman visited UM earlier this month and says he chose Miami "because I just felt it fit me the best, gave me a better opportunity in basketball. And playing in the ACC, that made me say `Yeah, I need to go there.' I also have a great relationship with the coaches."

He will play power forward at UM.

"I'll use my talent to stretch out the defense," said Sherman, who is a good ball handler with excellent range for a big man.

Sherman says the comparisons he hears most are to Zach Randolph and Sam Perkins.

"Everybody that's coached me compares me to them, says I play like them," Sherman said.

His goals as a Cane?

"First to get a starting spot, get better as a player and just keep improving," Sherman said.

Rivals.com National Basketball Analyst Eric Bossi says of Sherman that as a "6-foot-8 guy (he) is more of a skilled faceup guy and likes to shoot jump shots. Legit range to the three point line. Rebounds ok but is more of an under the rim scorer around the rim. Will be very strong once he hits a college weight room."[/QUOTE
http://miami.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1554557

Anyone know much about him? A bit concerning he only had some mid-level offers from Wichita State, North Texas and Weber State.

Advertisement
Wichita State made the Final 4 this year, there a legit program. I think this kid filled Michael gilmore spot after gilmore committed to VCU

Tally absolutely they are, but I like to see some high-majors on offer sheets, this kid could be good though who knows. My recruiting source doesn't know much about him which scares be because he knows everything usually.

Anyone know much about him? A bit concerning he only had some mid-level offers from Wichita State, North Texas and Weber State.

Recruiting in college basketball is the most perplexing thing to me. There are so many recruits, there are so few spots (scholarships) and we get little to no information. The players seem to come out of nowhere, have the most random offers yet are highly ranked. I really don't get any idea about a specific player until he commits and I start looking at highlights and information.

Then there is all this AAU stuff. I don't get any of it.

Randy Rahe and Gregg Marshall are pretty good coaches. Marshall is a guy I threw around when Haith left.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Y'all forgot Marshall took Wichita St to the Final four last year. Sherman is a quality big and is a top 100 on Scout. here is their recent report

"" Sherman is someone who really opened up eyes because he can score in so many different ways. He isn’t the best athlete, and needs to continue to get into better shape, but Sherman can put the ball in the basket and does it either facing the rim out to the three point line or with quality post moves. Also Sherman is an above average rebounder who plays hard. It was a very good showing for him"

At one point GTech was going hard for him but went a different direction.

He will fit well with L's system and can give us some power in the post

Uceda is on campus today, he'd be a nice add since he's a JUCO import from Spain that helps us balance the classes and gives us maturity in the post
here is my interview with him http://www.stateoftheu.com/2013/9/2...iew-with-canes-hoops-prospect-ivan-cruz-uceda

We are also in the running with Bentil and Buford both are top 100 kids as well

Sherman is 4-star on Scout and ESPN, and Rivals has him three-star on the cusp of their top 150. Their subsite for Texas, which is run by someone entirely different, does its own rankings and has Sherman as the 8th best player in Texas - when 10 players are ranked in the national 150 from the state, so he is likely of that caliber to someone who would have seen him the most. 247 is lower (199) but his composite ranking over there is 129. The kid had an offer from Georgia Tech and strong interest from UCLA. His offer list is weird, but I think he was just under the radar.

Rivals said in a video (which I'll paste) that he'd be a standout at the high-mid major level, or a very valuable role player at the high major level. He fits in well - he can help space the defense and give the guards room to operate, and he will get stronger/more athletic in our weight program. He's probably not going to be a superstar, but he's big and strong enough to play right away and to be a piece on what will hopefully be very good teams in his four-year time span.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruiting-basketball/Pangos-All-American-Camp-Omar-Sherman-1116786

"I'll use my talent to stretch out the defense," said Sherman, who is a good ball handler with excellent range for a big man."

IMO, his game sounds similar to McAdoo from UNC... He definitely looks like a replacement for KK, playing the "stretch 4" position.

Sherman says the comparisons he hears most are to Zach Randolph and Sam Perkins.

"Everybody that's coached me compares me to them, says I play like them," Sherman said.

359.gif

McAdoo is a fantastic athlete. Jerry Meyer from 247 told me a poor man's Georges Dieng from Iowa State is a valid comparison.

Advertisement
Back