Welcome to the U- Travis Johnson, TE/H-Back

I am not a Golden basher in any shape or form (count me as #1 in the fan club), but I think everyone saying that we have three TE's with three different skill sets and this is a great move glosses over the larger point made by some: schollie wise we do not need three TE's and the ships can be better used somewhere else. Now, if 2014 is total crap at TE or Kerr goes to OT, ok I can accept this. But in the meantime we have to worry about the OL/DL and proper depth, because IF we get hit with schollie losses, I don't want to be thin in the trenches. Much easier to find a difference maker ready to step in day one at WR then on the line, esp. in FL.

This is going to be a small class, but it's not like we're taking 8 guys.

We're set to take 3 DTs, and 1-2 DEs (after a good DE haul last year).

I also expect to see 3 O-linemen in this class.

Advertisement
Hope to see this match up at UM practices next year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wF9y0VzIv8&feature=relmfu

and don't worry so much that he got dominated but that he is going against top notch competition and that will only make him that much better....like Malcolm vs Tracy

You also have to consider this: if TJ's to play at TE, it's not very often he'll be covered by one of the best CBs in the nation in reality. Even if he was, his size would give him much more of an advantage with pads than without. It doesn't really matter how well Hargreaves can cover him, as long as he's able to beat LB's and S's, then we're good.

Cool - I like having versatile tight ends who can play in the slot or out wide

only concern is how we fit 3 tight ends into this year's class

They all fill a niche. Dobard is a Brandon Pettigrew-type tight end. Huge and pretty fast but not a natural receiver. Johnson is an H-back with natural receiving skills. Kerr is a blocker.

+1

2-3 years from now I think we'll see: Dobard as a standard TE (like Cleveland this year), Johnson as a flex TE (like Walford this year), and Kerr as an OT and TE in jumbo sets.

Sounds right to me. And pretty darn good, too.

Hope to see this match up at UM practices next year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wF9y0VzIv8&feature=relmfu

and don't worry so much that he got dominated but that he is going against top notch competition and that will only make him that much better....like Malcolm vs Tracy

You also have to consider this: if TJ's to play at TE, it's not very often he'll be covered by one of the best CBs in the nation in reality. Even if he was, his size would give him much more of an advantage with pads than without. It doesn't really matter how well Hargreaves can cover him, as long as he's able to beat LB's and S's, then we're good.

Hargreaves has the best leaping ability and ball skills of any corner this year. He can match up against any receiver no matter how tall. He also has very refined technique which is a huge plus at the HS level, but gets mitigated some in college

I am not a Golden basher in any shape or form (count me as #1 in the fan club), but I think everyone saying that we have three TE's with three different skill sets and this is a great move glosses over the larger point made by some: schollie wise we do not need three TE's and the ships can be better used somewhere else. Now, if 2014 is total crap at TE or Kerr goes to OT, ok I can accept this. But in the meantime we have to worry about the OL/DL and proper depth, because IF we get hit with schollie losses, I don't want to be thin in the trenches. Much easier to find a difference maker ready to step in day one at WR then on the line, esp. in FL.

guys like Corey White, Daniel Perry may become expendable next year as they get their degrees.....so adding 3 te's actually was needed...as we have numbers but not "talent".

On the dline we ALREADY have a dt commitment from Keith Bryant who is likely a step in rotation guy as he hits campus..We are honed in on a few more dt's (Bain, Bostwick, Senat,Austin Roberts)..@ DE were in on a few..and we can wheel in Jordan Sherit

On the OL we already have a guard commitment...and in on Denver Kirkland....i think Kerr after a redshirt year..."can" grow into a tackle if they want him too...and im sure some late bloomer ol will appear...

I dont think were forgetting the trenches...i'm with you when the schollie reduction hit the LAST spot i want to be low at is at OL/DFL because walk on guys wont be able to log legit minutes there...but we can get away with a few walk on db/wr's.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I like the way he runs. Based off the clip against Hargreaves, he needs to work on his route running. Get Reggie Wayne down next summer for some mentoring. Welcome to the U

Kerr staying at TE.

Hargreaves - just a machine.

Then it's a waste of a precious schollie especially with our needs elsewhere in this small class. The only justification for having 8 freaking TEs on the roster is that at least 3 of them will be sent packing early.

Kerr staying at TE.

I agree Kerr stays at TE. He's in the 245 range and that I know of isn't fighting to keep his weight down. everyone talks about him being a Winston type of TE. Winston was at about 265 and had to fight to keep his weight down.

I know his HL film shows him blocking alot but thats the O his HS runs. I'm sure he came to camp and showed that he can catch.

I like Travis Johnson alot. Hope we keep hitting Tampa for talent

Kerr staying at TE.

Then it's a waste of a precious schollie especially with our needs elsewhere in this small class. The only justification for having 8 freaking TEs on the roster is that at least 3 of them will be sent packing early.

You keep saying we have 8 TEs. We have 2 and a bunch of DEs playing TEs. We need TEs, OL, and DL in this class. We haven't gotten a TE in 2 years.

Advertisement
Kerr staying at TE.

You keep saying we have 8 TEs. We have 2 and a bunch of DEs playing TEs. We need TEs, OL, and DL in this class. We haven't gotten a TE in 2 years.

So the solution is to cannibalize other spots by overloading TEs to the point where we will use up 10% of the team's schollie allocation for ONE starting position? Meanwhile a seriously critical unit like OL, that starts 5 kids on every single offensive play, gets shortchanged? If you want to start analyzing our TE woes, then you had better turn a critical eye to our OL woes because of those 8 returning OL, only Feliciano and Bunche are proven. McDermott and Flowers are all hype right now. ANd we have no clue what Gadbois, Hunter Wells, Junior freakin Alexis, and Dan Isidora bring to the table.

If you are right that our TE depth chart is just 2 TEs and 3 JAGS, then the solution is to jettison the JAGS to make room for the new TEs, not cannibalizing schollies from other units, especially not at OL. Basically, what i am saying is that getting 3 TEs better not come at the expense of 4 OL spots.

How do you feel about taking 3 TE in 2 years, when one has the possibility of playing OL? That's what we just did because we didn't take any last year.

We definately need to overcompensate at TE this year. The same way we need a very light CB and WR class. We will probably take another 2 next year unless scholarship reductions get in the way. With 2 TE jumbo sets, your optimally playing 3 guys every game.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back