Welcome: Harlond Beverly

Advertisement
Advertisement
Guys we’re missing how good a player we got. we haven’t had a player like this in a while including Lonnie and Bruce.
This kid comes in with a good jump shot, a plus athlete, a great defender and he can finish with both hands, that’s rare to be this prepared going into college. Finally no way he’s 167, he’s probably close to 180.

N
Guys we’re missing how good a player we got. we haven’t had a player like this in a while including Lonnie and Bruce.
This kid comes in with a good jump shot, a plus athlete, a great defender and he can finish with both hands, that’s rare to be this prepared going into college. Finally no way he’s 167, he’s probably close to 180.
exactly

Advertisement
Good stuff, Brotherhood. I'm always excited when I hear a touted recruit can shoot. Not so much when all the talk is about their "athleticism" (usually meaning they can't shoot the ball worth a ****, a la DeQuan Jones). Sounds like Harlond has all-around skills.

Watched about an hour's worth of footage last night and here was my assessment:
  • More athletic than I initially expected. Gets to the rim effectively and can rise. There were quite a few highlight real dunks in there.
  • Above-average shooter. I hesitate to call him a 'jump-shooter', as he doesn't elevate much on his shot, but his mechanics are smooth and effortless and he gets good lift and rotation.
  • Weakness is probably his overall strength and build. I'd love to see him put on 10 good pounds of muscle over the summer before I felt good about throwing him to the wolves in the ACC. He looks to be a legit 6'3/6'4 so there is plenty to add to his frame.
  • His intensity is his best intangible. He was all over the court defensively and they often put him on the ball defending smaller and quicker guards.
Overall, this is a really impressive get this late in the cycle. Once he adds some good weight, he's a 20+ minute a night guy. He'll contribute right away.

Advertisement

In addition to that he is a guy who will likely stay 2-3 years, we need to get back to grabbing these kids ranked in the 40’s to 80’s and not worry so much on the Bruce Brown’s and Lonnie Walker’s who are leaving after 1-2 years.

Watched about an hour's worth of footage last night and here was my assessment:
  • More athletic than I initially expected. Gets to the rim effectively and can rise. There were quite a few highlight real dunks in there.
  • Above-average shooter. I hesitate to call him a 'jump-shooter', as he doesn't elevate much on his shot, but his mechanics are smooth and effortless and he gets good lift and rotation.
  • Weakness is probably his overall strength and build. I'd love to see him put on 10 good pounds of muscle over the summer before I felt good about throwing him to the wolves in the ACC. He looks to be a legit 6'3/6'4 so there is plenty to add to his frame.
  • His intensity is his best intangible. He was all over the court defensively and they often put him on the ball defending smaller and quicker guards.
Overall, this is a really impressive get this late in the cycle. Once he adds some good weight, he's a 20+ minute a night guy. He'll contribute right away.
We definitely can use players who have the ability to really get after it defensively. Excited about this get and look forward to the additional signees hopefully on the way!

In Highschool but he will be a G in college. Ranked 59th in the country for his class. Very impressive to land a quality kid like this after the miserable season we just had.

Well, to be fair, the miserable season was only attributed to the sorry *** FBI.

That being said, it definitely opens up the PT angle big time, and as Coach L has proven...he can sell that.

UM

Advertisement
Playing for Miami is not too hard a sell and this is why I maintain that we are lying in the weeds a bit as a program. Come play in the best college basketball conference in America, private school/small classes, beautiful campus, international city, etc.

We couldn't even get Vernon Carey, Jr., a legacy and a kid born and raised in South Florida. And it didn't even seem particularly close.

It's still a tough sell for the most part.

Advertisement
Back