Wekiva DB Renardo Green will attend Junior Day this weekend, talks Canes

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2019 3-star CB Renardo Green is part of a loaded Wekiva defensive unit that has attracted plenty of interest from the Miami coaching staff. Along with Green, teammates 4-star DT Tyler Davis, 3-star DE/LB Rian Davis, and 3-star DE Norell Pollard have received scholarships offers from the Canes in the past few months. Another, CB Brandon Hill, is receiving legit D-I interest as well. While the fivesome is focused on combining their talents to help the Apopka, FL school win states, the idea of playing together at the next level is never far from their thoughts.

“Me, Rian, Tyler, Norell, Brandon Hill, we all talk about playing together,” Green said. “So two, three, maybe all of us could end up at the same school. Miami offered like four of us I think.”

Green was offered by the Canes back on January 18th when Todd Hartley stopped by the school and Green was thrilled to have a scholarship to “The U”.

“I got it like a month or two ago, back in January,” Green said. “They came to the school and I met the coaches, shook hands. I went to class and came back and my coaches came out the room and said ‘Miami just offered you’. Oh yes, I was excited.”

Although he wasn’t a childhood fan of “The U”, the tradition that comes with UM and recent success Miami has had with Mark Richt is a big reason Green is so interested in coming to Coral Gables. Green also envisions himself within Manny Diaz’s defense.

“I’ll be honest, Miami wasn’t always one of my favorite schools growing up, I had other teams, Green said. “But when Miami offered me, I thought about the tradition I know they have, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis. I knew that Miami had a pretty good season last season, on defense especially, so it was a blessing. For Miami to notice me and want me to come play on that defense, I loved it.”

The Canes are recruiting Green as a corner, but some other schools see him as an all-around DB that can play anywhere in the defensive backfield at 6’0”, 170 pounds.

“Most schools, when they talk to me, tell me I’m a lockdown corner and things like that, Green said. “Other schools just say DB, and I could play either or.”

With Miami’s invite-only Junior Day coming up this weekend, Green plans to be on campus for the event. He confirmed to CIS that he’ll be there with Wekiva teammates Tyler and Rian Davis and that Miami is one of the schools he hears the most from.

“As of right now, the schools coming after me hardest are North Carolina, Missouri, Maryland, Georgia Tech, Miami, and Louisville,” Green said.

And it was his big junior season on the field that got the attention of the Canes and others. As one of the best athletes on his team, Green plays on both sides of the field for his Wekiva squad.

“We went 12-2, lost in the fourth round one game away from the state game to Dr. Phillips,” Green said. “I feel I performed well and my film, compared to other people’s film, I feel like I can make plays that other people can’t make. I didn’t just play defense, I also played offense. So, I think I did well, but if I would’ve never sprained my ankle, it would’ve been next-level.”

As a dual-threat player, does Green prefer offense or defense?

“I’ve always played offense, when the ball is in my hands, it always felt real natural. So, I thought I was gonna play offense in high school, but my freshman year, I started playing DB and I fell in love with the dark side. I prefer DB. I prefer hitting than being the one getting hit.”

Green won’t be making a quick decision like some of his other classmates. He’s enjoying being recruited and will take things slow until the right school becomes clear.

“I’m just taking my time,” said Green. “I was going to commit earlier, but I just decided it would be best to wait, when I feel like the time is right. Maybe before the season.”

When that one school does become clear though, what will that program have to do to separate itself from the rest?

“The area around the campus is important,” Green said. “Also, being able to have stability with the coaches and a place that takes care of their own, a place that I could come back to after football.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back