Weight of top NFL D Tackles

sfcane2

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
I was listening to an interview with Chris Jones yesterday and he said he weighed 295 lbs. I started wondering why we think we need these massive 300 lb+ defensive tackles when so many of the top NFL tackles are in the 280-300 lbs range- Aaron Donald, DeForest Buckner, Eric Armstead, Cam Hayward, Grady Jarrett, Leonard Williams etc. Granted there are some significantly larger that 320 lbs like DJ Reader and Vita Tea but the top DTs seem to be in the 280-300 lbs range.

I keep hearing about how we need some "space eaters" in the portal when we have a number of DTs that fit the current NFL profile.

Advertisement
I was listening to an interview with Chris Jones yesterday and he said he weighed 295 lbs. I started wondering why we think we need these massive 300 lb+ defensive tackles when so many of the top NFL tackles are in the 280-300 lbs range- Aaron Donald, DeForest Buckner, Eric Armstead, Cam Hayward, Grady Jarrett, Leonard Williams etc. Granted there are some significantly larger that 320 lbs like DJ Reader and Vita Tea but the top DTs seem to be in the 280-300 lbs range.

I keep hearing about how we need some "space eaters" in the portal when we have a number of DTs that fit the current NFL profile.
I've thought the same thing. I think we have the horses already on the team to have a very good DL, but hey need to be put in situations to succeed and they need to be coached up.

Animal Planet GIF by Puppy Bowl

DeForest Buckner - 6’7 295lbs
Arik Armstead - 6’7 290lbs
Chris Jones - 6’6 295lbs
Cam Hayward - 6’5 295lbs
Leonard Williams - 6’5 302lbs
Aaron Donald - 6’1 280lbs
Grady Jarrett - 6’0 302lbs

5 of the 7 u mentioned are 6’5+ & 290+. That’s a large individual w/ length (pause). Grady is 6’0 & 300+ lbs. Donald is the exception here, & that’s b/c Donald is a true rare breed of freakish athleticism & strength. He was a 3-star coming out due to his measurable, but I’m sure if he was re-evaluated just based upon production, he would’ve been a 5-star.

Now let’s look at our DT situation, & see where we’re flawed:

JHH - 6’4 285lbs
Horton - 6’4 285lbs
Moten - 6’3 290 lbs
Taylor - 6’3 305lbs
Deen - 6’2 280lbs
Gore - 6’0 270lbs

Do u see the size difference both in height & weight by comparison?

Advertisement

Look at the guys who play next to them and allow them to shine. None of them are the space eaters and most are either playing the 3T or 5T.

The two hoss’s you mentioned in Reader and Vea are the 1T that do the dirty work.

Those guys are freak athletes and have grown into their weight and bodies. It’ll be harder to get that out of 18-22 year olds but it is ideal if possible. I think the size of a space eater makes up for lack of Aaron Donald style quickness and strength at the college level.

Advertisement
The size of the DTs you mention is perfect for fast, quick and explosive 3 technique players. Cane greats Maryland, Kennedy and Sapp meet that criteria.

Our DT weakness is with the bigger, more massive run stoppers who play a 1 Technique. Think of Vince Wilfork who physically dominated the middle. The Eagles just spent their first round pick on the 6’6”, 350 lb DT from Georgia, Jordan Davis. He killed it in college last year and has anchored the center of the Eagles D this year. Fabulous athlete at an enormous size. He demands two blockers, enabling his teammates to get after it.

Bottom line: we need both types.

There are 2 "DT" on field.. One is supposed to be near middle nose type, supposed to be space eater, war daddy type, and the 3 tech that is what you seem to be talking about. Usually 3 tech will get the praise and the war daddy type only get love from people who understand they wont get stats but in grand scheme of things are vital part of a defense.. Would be injustice to combine and then compare stats for both..

Chris Jones - 6’6 295lbs
Cam Hayward - 6’5 295lbs

5 of the 7 u mentioned are 6’5+ & 290+. That’s a large individual w/ length (pause). Grady is 6’0 & 300+ lbs. Donald is the exception here, & that’s b/c Donald is a true rare breed of freakish athleticism & strength. He was a 3-star coming out due to his measurable, but I’m sure if he was re-evaluated just based upon production, he would’ve been a 5-star.

JHH - 6’4 285lbs
Horton - 6’4 285lbs
Moten - 6’3 290 lbs
Taylor - 6’3 305lbs
Deen - 6’2 280lbs
Gore - 6’0 270lbs

Long arms is a big one for those interior guys for sure

Also, I would like to mention the guys listed in the OP are paired with a War Daddy, as we like to say:

Aaron Donald (Greg Gaines - 6’1 312lbs)
DeForest Buckner (Grover Stewart - 6’4 315lbs)
Arik Armstead (Javon Kinlaw - 6’5 319lbs)
Chris Jones (Khalen Saunders - 6’0 324lbs)
Cam Heyward (Montravius Adams - 6’4 304lbs)
Leonard Williams (Dexter Lawrence - 6’4 342lbs)
Grady Jarrett (Abdullah Anderson - 6’4 295lbs)

OP, if u don’t think size don’t matter in the middle, I suggest u ask any hot chick on the block; oh, & if u don’t think size don’t matter along the interior of the DL, then u’re not paying attention to football.

Advertisement
Also, I would like to mention the guys listed in the OP are paired with a War Daddy, as we like to say:

OP, if u don’t think size don’t matter in the middle, I suggest u ask any hot chick on the block; oh, & if u don’t think size don’t matter along the interior of the DL, then u’re not paying attention to football.
And some on the best DLs have a mix.

When TB was great under Dungy there was HOF Sapp and all his elite pass rushing quickness, next to space eater McFarland….

Derrick Brown looks and plays like a monster out there for Carolina, bigger dude. Still, all those smaller dudes the OP posted about are freaks of nature. They are the best of both worlds. Athletic enough to rush the passer and strong enough at the point of attack to do the job of a 320+ guy.

I'm not an X's and O's guy but when I watch these smaller guys play, it seems like they're taking on the double teams. For example when the Rams play, it's not like Aaron Donald is getting 1 on 1s and Greg Gaines is getting doubled. When people talk about playing the Chiefs the prevailing thought is you need 4 hands on Chris Jones every play.

Also I think if you paired Aaron Donald w/Chris Jones that'd be more effective than Donald w/Gaines. The 49ers had their best lines when Armstead and Buckner were playing side by side.

Advertisement
Derrick Brown looks and plays like a monster out there for Carolina, bigger dude. Still, all those smaller dudes the OP posted about are freaks of nature. They are the best of both worlds. Athletic enough to rush the passer and strong enough at the point of attack to do the job of a 320+ guy.

Yeah, but they’re not really smaller, either. Lol. These dudes are towering monsters w/ long arms. It’s like Calais Campbell. So while they may not be 300+, they are a shade under that mark, but standing 6’5+!

Imo, this is a very bad OP. Trying to compare what we got going on w/ those examples is literally apples & grapes.

Or she's lying to you

Chris Jones - 6’6 295lbs
Cam Hayward - 6’5 295lbs

JHH - 6’4 285lbs
Horton - 6’4 285lbs
Moten - 6’3 290 lbs
Taylor - 6’3 305lbs
Deen - 6’2 280lbs
Gore - 6’0 270lbs

Imma keep it real. Chris Jones is in no way 295lbs. Man was 310 at the combine and is bigger now than he was in college. He's a massive humanbeing. DeForest Buckner too. Those MFrs cut weight before weigh-in like they do in the UFC.

Advertisement
Back