Weight differences on the offensive line.

Here’s the projected trenches:

Bama OL:
LT - Evan Neal (5* Jr - 6’7 360)
LG - Tommy Brown (4* R-Jr -6’7 320)
C - Chris Owens (4* R-Sr - 6’3 315)
RG - Emil Ekiyor (4* R-Jr - 6’3 324)
RT - Javion Cohen (4* So - 6’4 325)

Vs.

Miami DL:

DE - Jahfari Harvey (4* R-So - 6’4 252)
DT - Jon Ford (3* R-Sr - 6’5 315)
DT - Nesta Silvera (4* R-Jr 6’2 306)
DE - Cam Williams (3* R-So - 6’4 240)

Miami OL:

LT - Zion Nelson (3* Jr - 6’5 316)
LG - Jakai Clark (3* R-So 6’3 305)
C - Corey Gaynor (3* Sr 6’4 308)
RG - Navaughn Donaldson (4* Sr 6’6 350)
RT - Jalen Rivers (4* Rs-Fr 6’5 325)

Vs.

Bama DL:
DE: Justin Egoigbe (4* Jr 6’5 285)
DT: DJ Dale (4* Jr 6’3 307)
DE: LaBryan Ray (5* Sr 6’5 295)

These r all projections from various sites; however, I think Bama’s projections are a bit more stable, while ours can be considered a bit more fluid.

I'm more worried about their OL vs. our DL than the reverse. They're going to eat us up in the outside zone. But Bama is Bama. We always knew this was going to be a massive battle.

Advertisement
In JJ's championship year I believe the offensive line averaged 286 lbs, the 1950 NFL champion Chicago Bears, (I believe it was 50)
weighted in at just over 190. Training, diet, etc. just keep improving. O line is just one of those areas that will just keep getting bigger year after year.

We had a nose tackle Fitzpatrick 225 pounds played in NC game against Cornhuskers and never gave an inch probably the greatest exhibition of heart and intestinal fortitude in hand to hand combat is Canes history.

I witnessed this

Come on elders of this board remember?

GOCANES

Advertisement
308 lbs is not small for a center long as they are athletic side to side and very strong, there are NFL centers playing at 300 to 310lbs
If your interior offensive lineman isnt athletic side to side or very strong, he better be a brick wall thats hard to move around.

The top centers out of college play at around 310-315 and then slim down a bit for the NFL. They prefer lighter centers considering Tite fronts arent a thing in the NFL.

Tyler Biadasz is the C filling into the footsteps of Travis Frederick with the Cowboys. The former is 316, the latter played at 320. Both out of Wisconsin.

Every game as DL Chick and I would get cage to cage as huddle breaks telling each other beat your man , I can hear Chick yelling in outrage

ALL NIGHT LONG BROTHER, TURN IT UP.

as we put our hands in the dirt.

BEAT YOUR MAN

We both did won our battles but still lost most of our games at Southwest High in Miami.

GOCANES

Advertisement
Bama line is big, but Miami O-line is in good shape as far as size goes.

Bama OL:

Vs.

Miami DL:

Miami OL:

Vs.

Bama DL:

These r all projections from various sites; however, I think Bama’s projections are a bit more stable, while ours can be considered a bit more fluid.
Actually Deandre John would start at DE at 6'3 265. Not Cam, and I'm not even sure how you got Cam there lol. And Jalen Rivers (6'5 325) at LG over Jakai Clark.

Here’s the projected trenches:

Bama OL:

Vs.

Miami DL:

Miami OL:

Vs.

Bama DL:

I think Tim Smith starts over Dale for Bama this year. He looked better last year and is like 330.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Here’s how I see it after spring...

LT Nelson (Please live up to 3/4 of the hype and I’ll do a back flip)

LG Rivers (This man has to play with his long arms, ability, and size. Even if Clark knows the position better you play for the upside. This to me is similar to Safety. You give the keys to an elite talent in Tae or Williams over a Carter or Hall. Rivers is an elite talent)

C Clark/Gaynor (Is Gaynor going to really be stronger as the offseason gains indicate? I doubt it but hope I’m wrong. Can Clark show better technique and bend at his more natural position? I’m skeptical here too but he should be in the rotation. I believe his flaws will be masked more at C and he won’t get pushed around as much as Gaynor.)

RG Don (No doubt he has to be starting to hold the line if nothing else. His job should be to block the best DT on the opposing teams line whenever possible. We need him mauling people to be successful this season)

RT Scaife/Williams (Williams is a fully grown man with a ton of experience. Would he be better suited as a swing tackle? That looks like where he’s headed. However, Williams was the highest graded pass blocker on the OL and 2nd highest rated OL on the team behind Nelson overall according to PFF. Scaife doesn’t have a natural OT body. Yet he claims that’s his position. He also has a ton of experience and gives more as a run blocker than Williams. I assume the plan is to mostly run right this season with Scaife in the lineup at RT. I believe this position should be fluid based on the game plan, opponents, and obviously performance.

I did some quick research because I dug into some offensive line tape (again) and tried to find some solutions to stop myself from worrying about that position group. Looked into plays, play-calling, execution, assignments... up until I thought about checking out some weight differences. Because the offensive lines apparently are getting heavier and heavier from season to season on average. And what better way to demonstrate this by comparing them to the standard called Alabama. Since they had three offensive lineman selected in the draft (Leatherwood going in the 1st, ****erson going in the 2nd and Brown going in the 6th, obviously, these guys must have done something right.

Here is our offensive line from 2020:

LT Nelson - 314 lbs
LG Clark - 320 lbs
C Gaynor - 300 lbs
RG Scaife - 314 lbs
RT Williams - 308 lbs

And here is Bamas offensive line from 2020:

LT Leatherwood - 312 lbs
LG Brown - 350 lbs
C ****erson - 325 lbs
RG Ekiyor Jr. - 324 lbs
RT Neal - 360 lbs

I can actually spare you with the math, you dont need a calculator to figure out that Bama offensive line is heavier. Much heavier. About 130 pounds heavier. And the problem are not the tackle positions when it comes to weight, theres no problem being at that weight playing offensive tackle. But the interior offensive line... no. The biggest issue they had is blocking NT from a three man front (or Tite front), especially Gaynor since that is his main responsibility. Usually, nose tackles arent the tallest human beings on the football field, but they are heavy. About 320 upwards. Wilfork played at 350. You cant have 300-310 lbs interior offensive lineman blocking NTs that are either as heavy or even heavier compared to you. And seeing that Gaynor and Scaife were the worst two players on that group, it is not that surprising to me. Try to block inside zone while being undersized... have fun. And we will see more and more Tite fronts in the future, since this is how college football teams have started to adjust against Air Raid and zone blocking. We faced those fronts against UAB, FSU, Virginia, North Carolina and Virginia Tech (off of memory). And while FSU sucked, the unit certainly had its ups and downs versus the other listed teams.

Now, the current group is about 60 pounds heavier compared to last season, and thats largely (no pun intended) because of Donaldson and Rivers entering the lineup and them being on the bigger side (according to the latest release regarding weight changes). While thats a much bigger improvement, it still listed Gaynor at 308 lbs, which is still far too light. My take on the O-Line is that they will play better, its their second season in this system, and the interior line play will be better because of the gained size. Teams will still attack Gaynor with NTs though, because he, as the center, is the lightest player in the whole group. And thats not good. We can only hope that Gaynor actually finds some pounds till September, but this is a thing that needs to be looked at in the future.
I can't speak for the rest, but Brown turned up at the Senior Bowl at 367lbs (and looked **** in individual drills).

The Panthers staff have already spoken about getting him down to 330lbs.

Size isn't everything - I value athleticism over pure bulk.

I can't speak for the rest, but Brown turned up at the Senior Bowl at 367lbs (and looked **** in individual drills).

The Panthers staff have already spoken about getting him down to 330lbs.

Size isn't everything - I value athleticism over pure bulk.
As if 330 isnt bigger than anything we have outside of Donaldson lol

With due respect OP, size is not an advantage without coresponding quickness and ability. With that said, with technique, quickness and aggression, you can block larger DL, or you scheme and Double them - witness it from Pop Warner through the NFL. Miami hasn't done it very well, and 3 years in, we are still trying to find the right guys to play the problem positions, which is a much more serious issue than size.

Comparing the Canes' OL to Bama's is apples and oranges. I mentioned this before each of our previous two SEC openers. Yes, Bama is the standard. That is because it is recruited to compete against SEC Front 7s and be the driving force behind NC runs.

Ours has largely been (because of recruiting) a haphazard group slapped together still being moved around and looking for an Identity. While we wait for something positive to happen, and hope for a shot at winning the weak ACC Coastal. I want to be optimistic with this group, but so far its been tough.

Advertisement
Back