Weight differences on the offensive line.

Bender

Premium
I did some quick research because I dug into some offensive line tape (again) and tried to find some solutions to stop myself from worrying about that position group. Looked into plays, play-calling, execution, assignments... up until I thought about checking out some weight differences. Because the offensive lines apparently are getting heavier and heavier from season to season on average. And what better way to demonstrate this by comparing them to the standard called Alabama. Since they had three offensive lineman selected in the draft (Leatherwood going in the 1st, ****erson going in the 2nd and Brown going in the 6th, obviously, these guys must have done something right.

Here is our offensive line from 2020:

LT Nelson - 314 lbs
LG Clark - 320 lbs
C Gaynor - 300 lbs
RG Scaife - 314 lbs
RT Williams - 308 lbs

And here is Bamas offensive line from 2020:

LT Leatherwood - 312 lbs
LG Brown - 350 lbs
C ****erson - 325 lbs
RG Ekiyor Jr. - 324 lbs
RT Neal - 360 lbs

I can actually spare you with the math, you dont need a calculator to figure out that Bama offensive line is heavier. Much heavier. About 130 pounds heavier. And the problem are not the tackle positions when it comes to weight, theres no problem being at that weight playing offensive tackle. But the interior offensive line... no. The biggest issue they had is blocking NT from a three man front (or Tite front), especially Gaynor since that is his main responsibility. Usually, nose tackles arent the tallest human beings on the football field, but they are heavy. About 320 upwards. Wilfork played at 350. You cant have 300-310 lbs interior offensive lineman blocking NTs that are either as heavy or even heavier compared to you. And seeing that Gaynor and Scaife were the worst two players on that group, it is not that surprising to me. Try to block inside zone while being undersized... have fun. And we will see more and more Tite fronts in the future, since this is how college football teams have started to adjust against Air Raid and zone blocking. We faced those fronts against UAB, FSU, Virginia, North Carolina and Virginia Tech (off of memory). And while FSU sucked, the unit certainly had its ups and downs versus the other listed teams.

Now, the current group is about 60 pounds heavier compared to last season, and thats largely (no pun intended) because of Donaldson and Rivers entering the lineup and them being on the bigger side (according to the latest release regarding weight changes). While thats a much bigger improvement, it still listed Gaynor at 308 lbs, which is still far too light. My take on the O-Line is that they will play better, its their second season in this system, and the interior line play will be better because of the gained size. Teams will still attack Gaynor with NTs though, because he, as the center, is the lightest player in the whole group. And thats not good. We can only hope that Gaynor actually finds some pounds till September, but this is a thing that needs to be looked at in the future.

Advertisement
There are 3 linemen who are locked in to start this season (Nelson, Gaynor and Donaldson) and you are missing one. Also just so happens to be the heaviest and an interior linemen.

We may not be as big as bama, mostly due to the difference in RT from Williams/Scaife and Neal, but we are really close. No doubt Gaynor strength is an issue, but that is no excuse against 90% of our schedule.

There are 3 linemen who are locked in to start this season (Nelson, Gaynor and Donaldson) and you are missing one. Also just so happens to be the heaviest and an interior linemen.

We may not be as big as bama, mostly due to the difference in RT from Williams/Scaife and Neal, but we are really close. No doubt Gaynor strength is an issue, but that is no excuse against 90% of our schedule.
I have missed one? Where?

Also, as I said, the current unit is much bigger, but still features one element that was getting exposed last season due to being undersized. If Gaynor would be at somewhat normal weight, the unit as a whole would have good size on all positions.

I have missed one? Where?

Also, as I said, the current unit is much bigger, but still features one element that was getting exposed last season due to being undersized. If Gaynor would be at somewhat normal weight, the unit as a whole would have good size on all positions.
Donaldson is 350 pounds (same weight as Bama's Brown) and is starting at one of the Guard spots

Advertisement
Advertisement
Brother’s if was on OL and felt or knew I was getting beaten , LMAO there would be a meddimorphisis ( spell check ? ) in training room , eating and weight room work 24-7 all this is offered FREE at the U .
I’d track down Kevin ***an for assistance , I would eat sleep training , I assure you the next game I’d be road grading and pancaking till the NFL takes notice

To become such a beast children would flee at the sight of me .

Why many kids don’t take advantage of all the U offers for kids to become the BEST at what they do is shocking.

Gaynor and mullet before him were both trash. It’s insane they’ve been the stating centers at UM for 6-7 years now. I’m tired of seeing us get **** pushed on offense. I’d much prefer Clark to be moved to center now. Let Rivers solidify a spot. He’s the most talented OL UM has had in a long time.

The o line will be marginally better. The only way I see a dramatic leap is if Donaldson plays himself into a 1st 3 round draft pick. If not, expect the same. Getting manhandled upfront by legit fronts and scheme

Advertisement
Center is a tough position to find a difference maker at the college level. Need technical proficiency while being around 315-330 & having the IQ to make the calls at the LOS. Thankfully this year should be Gaynor last before Clark & Rodriguez compete for the spot, I remember seeing an article couple weeks back from Ferman alleging RR has gained 15 pounds preparing for his arrival, that puts him at 295-300, positive development albeit doesn't help us this year.

Here’s the projected trenches:

Bama OL:
LT - Evan Neal (5* Jr - 6’7 360)
LG - Tommy Brown (4* R-Jr -6’7 320)
C - Chris Owens (4* R-Sr - 6’3 315)
RG - Emil Ekiyor (4* R-Jr - 6’3 324)
RT - Javion Cohen (4* So - 6’4 325)

Vs.

Miami DL:

DE - Jahfari Harvey (4* R-So - 6’4 252)
DT - Jon Ford (3* R-Sr - 6’5 315)
DT - Nesta Silvera (4* R-Jr 6’2 306)
DE - Cam Williams (3* R-So - 6’4 240)

Miami OL:

LT - Zion Nelson (3* Jr - 6’5 316)
LG - Jakai Clark (3* R-So 6’3 305)
C - Corey Gaynor (3* Sr 6’4 308)
RG - Navaughn Donaldson (4* Sr 6’6 350)
RT - Jalen Rivers (4* Rs-Fr 6’5 325)

Vs.

Bama DL:
DE: Justin Egoigbe (4* Jr 6’5 285)
DT: DJ Dale (4* Jr 6’3 307)
DE: LaBryan Ray (5* Sr 6’5 295)

These r all projections from various sites; however, I think Bama’s projections are a bit more stable, while ours can be considered a bit more fluid.

Advertisement
Think there’s low chance that Rivers is the RT starter. He’s battling at LG with Clark. Scaife and Williams are the RT battle. Unless I completely missed something.

Here’s the projected trenches:

Bama OL:
LT - Evan Neal (5* Jr - 6’7 360)
LG - Tommy Brown (4* R-Jr -6’7 320)
C - Chris Owens (4* R-Sr - 6’3 315)
RG - Emil Ekiyor (4* R-Jr - 6’3 324)
RT - Javion Cohen (4* So - 6’4 325)

Vs.

Miami DL:

DE - Jahfari Harvey (4* R-So - 6’4 252)
DT - Jon Ford (3* R-Sr - 6’5 315)
DT - Nesta Silvera (4* R-Jr 6’2 306)
DE - Cam Williams (3* R-So - 6’4 240)

Miami OL:

Vs.

Bama DL:
DE: Justin Egoigbe (4* Jr 6’5 285)
DT: DJ Dale (4* Jr 6’3 307)
DE: LaBryan Ray (5* Sr 6’5 295)

These r all projections from various sites; however, I think Bama’s projections are a bit more stable, while ours can be considered a bit more fluid.
With all the talk about Bama being new at skill positions, they are pretty old where it matters

Think there’s low chance that Rivers is the RT starter. He’s battling at LG with Clark. Scaife and Williams are the RT battle. Unless I completely missed something.

I think Williams is going to get the nod as well. Ourlads based as of May 6th, had both Donaldson & Rivers behind Scaife & Williams. That would be a straight tragedy if that’s the case. Williams wasn’t very good.

Advertisement
Back