Week 6 Stat Roll

As always, these numbers only reflect FBS vs FBS competition. Any games vs any FCS teams are filtered out.

One thing I added this week was I shaded the text in green if the number improved from last week, and in red if it dropped. Let me know if you guys like the change or if it's too much of an eyesore now. If there's anything else you'd like added, let me know.

Offense:

Yards per play: 7th (7.32 YPP)
Yards per game: 11th (485 YPG)
Points per game: 10th (36.8 PPG)

Passing yards per game: 24th (281 YPG)
Passing completion percentage: 13th (70.7%)
Passing yards per attempt: 9th (9.7 YPA)
Passer rating: 10th (173.7)
Rushing yards per game: 14th (204 YPG)
Rushing yards per attempt: 12th (5.47 YPA)

Sacks given up per game: 15th (1 per game)
3rd down conversion %: 36th (44.19%)

4th down conversion %: 129th (0%, 0/2 on the season)
TFLs allowed per game: 13th (3.75 per game)
Red Zone TD %: 92nd (52.7% TD rate, 10 TDs in 19 chances)
Red Zone Scoring %: 32nd (17 scores in 19 chances)

Field goal %: 21st (9 out of 10, only miss from 50+)
PAT %: 102nd (22 out of 23)

10+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 61st (65) NOTE: Most teams have played 5 or more FBS games by now. So these numbers are total, not per game.
20+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 37th (25)
30+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 57th (10)
40+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 38th (6)
50+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 36th (3)
60+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 55th (1)

Defense:

Yards per play allowed: 21st (4.86 YPP)
Points per game allowed: 16th (16.5 PPG)
Passing yards per game allowed: 59th (230 YPG)
Passing completion percentage allowed: 13th (54.5%)
Passing yards per attempt: 22nd (6.3 YPA)
Passer rating allowed: 14th (108.54)

Rushing yards per game allowed: 3rd (64.5 YPG)
Rushing yards per attempt allowed: 7th (2.66 YPA)
Sacks per game: 71st (2 sacks per game)
3rd down % allowed: 47th (35.7% allowed)

4th down % allowed: 2nd (12.5% allowed) Only 1/8 allowed on 4th down
TFLs per game: 73rd (5.5 per game)
Red Zone td % allowed: 48th (54% allowed -- 7 TDs in 13 chances)
Red Zone Scoring % allowed: 39th (77% allowed -- 10 scores in 13 chances)

Punting: 124th (37.64 Yard average) Having one blocked in 11 attempts kills this average...still though, only 11 punts total in 5 games (I did include the Bethune game here)
10+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 4th (40)
20+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 13th (14)
30+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 33rd (8)
40+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 23rd (3)

Team Stats:

Penalties: 116th (7.8 penalties per game)
Penalty yards: 129th (80 Yards per game)
Turnover margin: 48th (0.25 per game -- 8 takeaways, 7 giveaways)

Time of possession: 22nd (32:12per game)
Number of offensive plays: (Avg 66.25 plays per game)

Takeaways:

As you'd expect after watching that game, many of the offensive numbers dropped, while all of the defensive passing numbers drastically increased. It was a statistical domination on Miami's part, except in the scoreboard and brains departments. If we take a knee and end the game, the defensive numbers look even better, as GT gained 76 yards on just 4 snaps to win the game on the last drive. But overall, the majority of the numbers look excellent. We are now Top 21 in Scoring Offense, Scoring Defense, Offensive YPP, Defensive YPP, Rushing yards per game, Rushing yards per attempt, rushing yards allowed per game, rushing yards allowed per attempt, Passer rating, and Passer rating allowed. Overall, it's a very strong football team, statistically.

We continue to struggle playing on the other side of the opposing offenses' LOS, and this concerns me for this week. 71st in sacks per game and 73rd in TFLs per game could hurt us against a kid like Drake Maye. Obviously with a great quarterback, the biggest thing is to pressure him and put them behind the sticks. We're not doing a great job of that on defense, and subsequently we're not great on 3rd downs. But we have limited explosive plays, we are EXCELLENT against the run, and the pass defense continues to improve. We absolutely smothered GT on defense for 59:40 of that game on Saturday night. The defense looked fast as ****, even if I believe it was a little passive of a gameplan compared to what we'll see this week.

On offense, we simply have to be better in the red zone. 92nd in red zone TD percentage is a ******* joke. The name of the game is scoring TDs, we have to be better when we get into scoring territory. And the penalties, I guess we just have to accept we're going to get called for 8+ flags a game. It is what it is at this point.

Obviously a huge challenge this week, but I think we're up for it. I still have tremendous expectations for the offense and defense, I think if we're in a good spot mentally and haven't given up, we can easily go up there and win. This is not a one trick pony team, I feel like we can win in a multitude of ways, and we might need to this weekend. Let's start fast and see what happens. That's something we haven't done in the two P5 games thus far. Start fast, jump up 7-0 or 10-3 and see how it goes.

Go Canes.

Advertisement
Thanks for the update.
We are now Top 21 in Scoring Offense, Scoring Defense, Offensive YPP, Defensive YPP, Rushing yards per game, Rushing yards per attempt, rushing yards allowed per game, rushing yards allowed per attempt, Passer rating, and Passer rating allowed. Overall, it's a very strong football team, statistically.

Typically being in the top 25 in these combined categories implies or results in a top-10 quality , 10/+ win team when you look at history. There’s still a majority of season left obviously, and numbers can change, but it at least looks like we are working with something very good here.

Big game for Guidry this week. In the midst of the Dawson love I kept bringing up how impressed I’ve been with Guidry. The stats weren’t mind blowing but watching the games I felt he was outperforming expectations especially with our injuries

No question this is the toughest test for our defense all year and it seems to be the games Guidry steps up

As always, these numbers only reflect FBS vs FBS competition. Any games vs any FCS teams are filtered out.

One thing I added this week was I shaded the text in green if the number improved from last week, and in red if it dropped. Let me know if you guys like the change or if it's too much of an eyesore now. If there's anything else you'd like added, let me know.

Offense:

Red Zone TD %: 92nd (52.7% TD rate, 10 TDs in 19 chances)

Defense:

Sacks per game: 71st (2 sacks per game)
3rd down % allowed: 47th (35.7% allowed)
TFLs per game: 73rd (5.5 per game)
Red Zone td % allowed: 48th (54% allowed -- 7 TDs in 13 chances)

Team Stats:

Turnover margin: 48th (0.25 per game -- 8 takeaways, 7 giveaways)
- You're right on that offensive RZ TD%. When you factor in our OL strength, that's a **** mess.

- Prior to the season, I was concerned about Edge rush. With Mesidor out, it becomes an emergency because we don't even benefit from his loops/stunts/etc. Kelly hasn't yet made the leap. This is a big concern.

- TFLs/game on defense better statistically improve or we're cooked in ACC play.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back