Week 5 Stat Roll

You don't need these models. The next three weeks will tell you all you need to know.
If the Canes go 2-1 over the next three weeks (which is very doable because the Canes might be favored in all those games, despite recent struggles against UNC and Clemson), the Canes program is still definitely on an upward trajectory.

Go 3-0 the next three weeks (which is also doable) and—no matter what Coach Mario says—there will be a big time rise in the polls and uncontrollable hype surrounding the program. At that point, I will proudly pronounce Mario as successful in turning this Canes program around in year 2 regardless of what happens in Tallahassee

And once this thing gets going, big time recruits will commit and fans will jump on the bandwagon and, it’s going to be a new day for the Canes program for years to come 💍💍💍💍💍💍+

Advertisement
On one of the more recent podcasts @DMoney gave TVDs stats in every game he’s started when Gattis was not the OC. The numbers were elite. Anyone keeping track of this stat? It was something like 65+% completions, 3700 yds, 30+ TDs and like 6 ints. I do remember the yds per completion was 9.4.

3rd down and Redzone Offense, 3rd down Defense and just general Pass D (hopefully when all our DLineman are healthy this significantly helps) appear to be our biggest areas of improvement as of right now.

Advertisement
Advertisement
IMG_4210.jpeg

As always, these numbers only reflect FBS vs FBS competition. Any games vs any FCS teams are filtered out. And obviously Miami didn't play this past weekend, but most other teams did, so I expect Miami's overall fantastic numbers to continue to improve in the national ranks as other teams play comparable games instead of early-season cupcakes.

Offense:

Yards per play: 3rd (8.17 YPP)
Yards per game: 9th (496 YPG)
Points per game: 6th (42.3 PPG)
Passing yards per game: 32nd (279 YPG)
Passing completion percentage: 12th (72.5%)
Passing yards per attempt: 5th (10.5 YPA)
Passer rating: 4th (195.02)
Rushing yards per game: 11th (217 YPG)
Rushing yards per attempt: 3rd (6.37 YPA)
Sacks given up per game: 18th (1 per game)
3rd down conversion %: 56th (40.7%)
4th down conversion %: 128th (0%, only 0/1 on the season)
TFLs allowed per game: 11th (3.3 per game)
Red Zone TD %: 61st (60% TD rate, 9 TDs in 15 chances)
Red Zone Scoring %: 18th (14 scores in 15 chances)
Field goal %: 27th (7 out of 8, only miss from 50+)
PAT %: 104th (20 out of 21)
10+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 73rd (53) NOTE: Most teams have played 4 or more FBS games by now. So these numbers are total, not per game.
20+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 46th (20)
30+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 60th (8)
40+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 56th (4)
50+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 50th (2)
60+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 47th (1)

Defense:

Yards per play allowed: 25th (4.90 YPP)
Points per game allowed: 14th (14.3 PPG)
Passing yards per game allowed: 90th (256.0 YPG)
Passing completion percentage allowed: 26th (56.3%)
Passing yards per attempt: 33rd (6.5 YPA)
Passer rating allowed: 21st (115.07)
Rushing yards per game allowed: 2nd (53 YPG)
Rushing yards per attempt allowed: 3rd (2.27 YPA)
Sacks per game: 57th (2 sacks per game)
3rd down % allowed: 38th (34.9% allowed)
4th down % allowed: 7th (12.5% allowed) Only 1/8 allowed on 4th down
TFLs per game: 68th (5.67 per game)
Red Zone td % allowed: 33rd (50% allowed -- 5 TDs in 10 chances)
Red Zone Scoring % allowed: 16th (70% allowed -- 7 scores in 10 chances)
Punting: 124th (37.25 Yard average) Having one blocked in 8 attempts kills this average...still though, only 8 punts total in 4 games (I did include the Bethune game here)
10+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 5th (32)
20+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 10th (11)
30+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 14th (5)
40+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 15th (2)

Team Stats:

Penalties: 119th (8.3 penalties per game)
Penalty yards: 126th (80 Yards per game)
Turnover margin: 9th (1.33 per game -- 6 takeaways, 2 giveaways)
Time of possession: 39th (31:07 per game)
Number of offensive plays: (Avg 60.7 plays per game)

Takeaways:

As I said above, since we didn't play, our totals per game didn't change, obviously, but as expected, we got better in national averages since other teams continue to play tougher games.

This needs its own paragraph.....we are now #3 in the country in offensive yards per play, #3 in yards per attempt rushing, and we have the #2 rushing defense in the country in YPG allowed, #3 in yards per carry allowed. I'm sorry.....what?????? We are one of the best rushing offenses in the entire country AND one of the best rushing defenses? I don't think I've ever seen that from a Miami team. And it's not like we've morphed into Paul Johnson's GT teams on offense. TVD is #2 in the country in passer rating (only Caleb Williams is better), he is #6 in the country in yards per attempt, and #15 in completion percentage, while averaging 265 yards passing of his own.

Bottom line...this is beyond my wildest expectations, to this point. Again.....to this point. We only have 3 games vs FBS opponents. The road begins to get much tougher going forward. But there is literally no disputing that the University of Miami has played some of the very best football in the whole country thus far. BTW, Miami (OH) is 4-1, with their only loss to us. Texas A&M might have a Top 3 defense in the country, they are 4-1, with their only loss to us, and they are KILLING people on defense. What did they do against us? Oh, we only dropped 8.5 YPP on their heads.

Next up is GT and their 115th ranked defense. I expect 40 points, minimum. We're at home, at night, coming off a bye week. Our implied total is 40.0 in Vegas, so that's the magic number. I want 40+ points and close to 500 yards of offense. Let's keep this thing rolling.
To your point though...

our Canes haven't played as to be expected against FCS caliber opponents for years now.

To see these types of FBS numbers is encouraging.

GT is another important mile marker in their journey. We need to see disciplined productive play in all phases of the game.

Miami enters the week with the ninth-best rushing offense in the nation at 222.5 yards per game — Georgia Tech ranks third-worst nationally in that department, giving up 224.2 yards per game — and the Hurricanes also have a quarterback in Tyler Van Dyke who is completing three of every four passes he throws.

[BGCOLOR=initial]Miami has scored at least 38 points in all four of its games this season — after having just one such game last season. The Hurricanes are one of three teams nationally to score that many in every game to this point, joining USC and Oregon. The last season in which the Hurricanes had such a streak of scoring at least 38 was over the first five games of the 2002 campaign. Georgia Tech has allowed at least 38 points in all three of its losses this season.[/BGCOLOR]

Not our stats but some good A&M stats

Texas A&M's defense is holding opponents to a 23.4% conversion rate on third downs, third-best nationally. ... Texas A&M has seven sacks in each of its past two games, the most in consecutive games since joining the SEC in 2012. ... Texas A&M is 33-5 when scoring first under Fisher and 32-2 when leading after the first quarter. They scored first and lead after the first quarter against Miami and lost.

Advertisement
We got a ton of recruits so mario and company will want to show that offense. Let’s roll

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back