Week 4 Stat Roll

As always, these numbers only reflect FBS vs FBS competition. Any games vs any FCS teams are filtered out. Stats starting to normalize somewhat, as many teams have started playing conference games.

Offense:

Yards per play: 3rd (8.17 YPP)
Yards per game: 10th (496 YPG)
Points per game: 6th (42.3 PPG)
Passing yards per game: 31st (279 YPG)
Passing completion percentage: 12th (72.5%)
Passing yards per attempt: 7th (10.5 YPA)
Passer rating: 5th (195.02)
Rushing yards per game: 12th (217 YPG)
Rushing yards per attempt: 3rd (6.37 YPA)
Sacks given up per game: 14th (1 per game)
3rd down conversion %: 63rd (40.7%)
4th down conversion %: 66th (50%, only 1/2 on the season)
TFLs allowed per game: 13th (3.3 per game)
Red Zone TD %: 61st (60% TD rate, 9 TDs in 15 chances)
Red Zone Scoring %: 16th (14 scores in 15 chances)
Field goal %: 39th (7 out of 8, only miss from 50+)
PAT %: 107th (20 out of 21)
10+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 21st (53) 52nd last year
20+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 19th (20) 61st last year
30+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 36th (8) 81st last year
40+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 34th (4) 79th last year
50+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 35th (2) 62nd last year
60+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 35th (1) 81st last year

Defense:

Yards per play allowed: 30th (4.90 YPP)
Points per game allowed: 12th (14.3 PPG)
Passing yards per game allowed: 88th (256.0 YPG)
Passing completion percentage allowed: 30th (56.3%)
Passing yards per attempt: 37th (6.5 YPA)
Passer rating allowed: 30th (115.07)
Rushing yards per game allowed: 4th (53 YPG)
Rushing yards per attempt allowed: 6th (2.27 YPA)
Sacks per game: 64th (2 sacks per game)
3rd down % allowed: 32nd (34.9% allowed)
4th down % allowed: 13th (12.5% allowed) Only 1/8 allowed on 4th down
TFLs per game: 58th (5.67 per game)
Red Zone td % allowed: 34th (50% allowed -- 5 TDs in 10 chances)
Red Zone Scoring % allowed: 19th (70% allowed -- 7 scores in 10 chances)
Punting: 124th (37.25 Yard average) Having one blocked in 8 attempts kills this average...still though, only 8 punts total
10+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 12th (32)
20+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 28th (11)
30+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 31st (5)
40+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 29th (2)

Team Stats:

Penalties: 120th (8.3 penalties per game)
Penalty yards: 127th (80 Yards per game)
Turnover margin: 12th (1.33 per game -- 6 takeaways, 2 giveaways)
Time of possession: 44th (31:07 per game)
Number of offensive plays: (Avg 60.7 plays per game)

Takeaways:

Another statistical mauling took place on Saturday in Philly, which has vaulted a lot of these numbers even higher than they were the last time I did this after the A&M game. Miami now has the THIRD best offense in the country in terms of yards per play. Only the ridiculous offenses at Washington and USC are better right now, but neither of those are even as balanced as we are. 31st in passing yards and 12th in rushing yards per game is incredible. TVD's numbers are off the charts right now, he's literally one of the 5 best passers in America at the moment, and we don't even have our NFL Tight End playing yet. I could write 10 pages on how incredible these numbers are, and especially with how depressing this was to do last year, it's so nice to be able to see the talent infusion and coaching changes showing up on paper. The offensive line is simply insane right now, we're doing anything we want on offense to anyone we play. I'm trying to temper my expectations, because we're still only 4 games in here, and we haven't even played an ACC game yet, but it's getting difficult, because what I'm seeing on gameday in all 3 phases is honestly beyond my wildest dreams to this point. The cohesion, the confidence, the execution, the enthusiasm, and the influx of talent is simply incredible. We will have some tougher games, no doubt. But I just don't see anyone we play totally shutting this offense down. If we can somehow get through 12 games with all 5 OL healthy, this is going to be a Top 10 offense in America.

On defense, there was mopery all summer about how we're too small to stop the run. Any many of us pointed to Guidry's track record and the fact that you don't need UGA's defensive line to stop the run in college football....so what has he done thus far? Oh, just the 4th best rushing defense in yards per game, and 6th in yards per carry allowed. And the overall passing numbers don't look great in terms of yards per game, but it's because teams simply can't run on us, and also our offense is kicking *** and putting these teams way behind on the scoreboard, so the passing volume we've faced is skewed. But we're top 37 in passer rating allowed, completion percentage allowed, and yards per attempt allowed. So we've giving up yards, but on a play by play basis, we're very good.

**** is about to get real now after the bye. GT actually has some good offensive numbers (their defense is AWFUL), but then we get UNC and Clemson. If these numbers look even remotely this good at the end of October, look the **** out. We will be very relevant in the ACC championship and possibly the playoff race. Buckle up, boys. We have a good football team again. How good will be answered over the next 4 weeks. GO CANES!

Advertisement
Really hope we can hold onto Dawson
Me too, but at the very least he is showing what can be done which should make the job more attractive to other OCs if needed.

It will be a good problem to have if we can get back to having our coordinators consistently poached (assuming it is for head coach or NFL jobs).

Advertisement
defensive numbers are only going to creep up throughout the year as well

couldn't have had 2 better hires
Whats the thinking behind this? We just played softer part of our schedule and even teams like GT and UL actually have some offensive punch this year, Clemson might actually be one of our easier offenses to play in second half of season, not alot of easy outs easier than teams we played already when looking at UNC, FSU, UL.. Hope you are right tho..

Beside the OL, a few other reasons this team has made a 180:
* Leonard Taylor is playing like we all knew he could
* Very few drops by the WRs and no fumbles by the RBs
* James Williams is a head huntier, no longer a poor man's Ray Ray Armstrong
* Our second and third level blocking is superior if not best in class. We have WRs, TEs, and even big uglies 20-30 yards downfield making blocks. It's a thing of beauty.
* Our D is swarm tackling on most plays and form tackling when 1:1 in space
* We have talented depth for the first time that I can remember, so everyone competes in practice and plays at a high level on all snaps during the game.

Whats the thinking behind this? We just played softer part of our schedule and even teams like GT and UL actually have some offensive punch this year, Clemson might actually be one of our easier offenses to play in second half of season, not alot of easy outs easier than teams we played already when looking at UNC, FSU, UL.. Hope you are right tho..

I think he's thinking several other teams have played cupcakes as well. But GT has an above average offense, we know FSU and UNC do, Louisville is currently 5th in the country in YPP. So I doubt we hold all those teams to 4.90 YPP like we have the first 3. But other teams have to continue to play good offenses too, so we're in a good spot thus far.

For a little perspective, Miami (OH) is 24th in the country in YPP right now. The other 2 FBS games they've played besides us, they went for 7.82 a play against UMass and 7.31 a play against Cincy. So maybe their offense isn't absolutely awful. But we held them to 3 points and 4.39 per play. A&M just got 6.93 per play against Auburn, even though they lost their QB in the first half. They only got 5.28 against us.

Advertisement
More proof that fans way overexaggerate the value of third down conversion percentage.

How is a team that is 63rd in third down percentage 6th in points per game?

Explosion. Big plays. Chunk yardage. It helps to be able to pick up first downs in two plays so you don't even need to worry about converting third downs.

This offensive turn around has been simply amazing like you said hard to ever find good offenses This balanced like you.said.
Truly astounding the turnaround on offense. We were all concerned about the WR’s but they have been money. That OL is absolutely incredible. And Dawson has been vanilla for the most part.

More proof that fans way overexaggerate the value of third down conversion percentage.

Explosion. Big plays. Chunk yardage. It helps to be able to pick up first downs in two plays so you don't even need to worry about converting third downs.

Exactly. You and I laughed about something like this a few weeks ago. We are averaging almost 18 plays of 10+ yards per game. Last year we averaged 14.

We are averaging almost 7 plays of 20+ yards per game. Last year, we averaged a little over 3 such plays per game.

We have 8 plays already (in 3 games) of 30+ yards. Last year, for the entire season (11 games) we had 15 such plays.

We had 6 plays of 40+ yards all last year. We already have 4 this year.

I think we all see the point. To wrap it back to 3rd downs, just look at the raw volume:

We have only ATTEMPTED 27 3rd downs this season. That is tied for the lowest in the entire country, with LA-Monroe, who has played 1 fewer game. That's an average of 9 third-downs per game. Last year, we averaged 14 third-downs per game.

Moral of the story, you don't have to be great on 3rd down if get first-downs/score on 1st and 2nd down.

Yeah our pass defense is definitely the weaker part of the defense and they are going to be tested big time. We play a lot of good QBs this year. Haynes king at GT has quietly played really well. Jack Plummer at Louisville looks good. Obviously Jordan Travis and drake maye are heisman contenders.

Advertisement
2 things, anytime there is low sample size like this (3 fbs games) things get a little whacky.. and also most teams played 4 cupcakes, we played 2 (in my opinion as Miami (OH) looks decent).. We also played A&M who I believe is going to have a very solid ranked offense when all is said and done

Really hope we can hold onto Dawson
Where is he going to go? Why would he want to leave at this point? All he has to do is cook. He knows Mario will get him the best ingredients and that Mario/Mirabal will always have a top notch OL. He gets to live in South Florida while making great money. Dawson knows that he has a great thing going here plus Mario is the one who gave him the opportunity to be nationally known. He knows we are building somet[BGCOLOR=initial]hing special here. Great weather and no state income tax. It's a no brainer! [/BGCOLOR]

Advertisement
Where is he going to go? Why would he want to leave at this point? All he has to do is cook. He knows Mario will get him the best ingredients and that Mario/Mirabal will always have a top notch OL. He gets to live in South Florida while making great money. Dawson knows that he has a great thing going here plus Mario is the one who gave him the opportunity to be nationally known. He knows we are building somet[BGCOLOR=initial]hing special here. Great weather and no state income tax. It's a no brainer! [/BGCOLOR]
Some people have egos. Could be a life long coordinator on easy mode.

2 things, anytime there is low sample size like this (3 fbs games) things get a little whacky.. and also most teams played 4 cupcakes, we played 2 (in my opinion as Miami (OH) looks decent).. We also played A&M who I believe is going to have a very solid ranked offense when all is said and done
i'll also add in that I don't believe we're going to be blowing teams out to the same degree the rest of the schedule so we will probably see our pass defense numbers get better, as most teams won't be playing from behind and throwing in garbage time against us

3rd down conversion must improve dramatically.

This will come back to haunt the squad.

Advertisement
Back