Week 1 Primer: SoFla High School Football

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Here are some of the big games in week one and information on them. I will continue to update it as game times, locations, etc. are announced.

Wednesday

Coral Reef-Hialeah Gardens
-The 'Cudas fell to American Heritage Plantation 25-17 last week in their kickoff classic. Look for them to get a win in the opener.

Thursday

American-Norland
-Norland fell 21-7 last week to Carol City. The Vikings are obviously without their stars of last year and will need some younger players to step up. American won their district last year.

Krop-Jackson
-Krop beat Flanagan 30-23 last week, while 2015 WR Jovon Durante (FIU commit) had 201 receiving yards. Jackson is led by QB Quinton Flowers. Jackson has the edge, but it will be an exciting matchup.

Homestead-Killian
-Homestead lost 17-10 to Cypress Bay in their kickoff classic game, but I like the Broncos to surprise people this year. The head-to-head matchup to watch will be Killian 2014 CB Trumaine Washington vs. Homestead WR Ermon Lane.

North Miami Beach-Miami Northwestern
-Northwestern didn't look good in their loss to Booker T. This game should be a win for them, though.

Atlantic Delray-American Heritage Delray
-This is a game to keep an eye on for multiple reasons. Heritage just lost this past weekend on national television to Cocoa, where star RB Greg Bryant had a tough time really getting things going. Atlantic is lead by Canes commit, Keith Bryant and 2014 WR/TE Adly Enoicy. These two schools don't like each other at all.

Friday

Hialeah-Belen Jesuit
-Belen wasn't able to play their game against Tampa Jesuit last week due to weather. The Wolverines beat Hialeah last year easily and the Thoroughbreds lost senior leader Andy Garcia from last year's team. George "Deebo" Williams will have to carry the load for them this season.

Booker T. Washington-Carol City
-This game will be at Traz Powell Stadium.
-BTW is coming off of their big win over the Bulls, and Carol City got a nice win over Norland. Booker T should win, but the Chiefs have some firepower led by QB Akeem Jones.

Columbus-St. Thomas Aquinas
-Arguably the biggest game down here this week along with Miramar-Manatee, this game will be held at Sun Life Stadium at 7:30. The Raiders won their game last week against Dillard 30-7, and Columbus defeated Northeast 24-6. The matchup to watch will be STA's DL vs. the CCHS DL. If the Explorers' offensive line creates room for the 2 backs, they have a good chance to win.
-2015 Columbus QB Tucker Beirne will get a taste of South Florida's finest in his second game since transferring from Colorado at the beginning of last year.
-Game will be televised on FoxSports.
-We will be live from this game and will continue with any updates as the week goes on.

Coral Gables-Southridge
-The Spartans will play their first game under Lamont Green and with new QB Troy Cook. I like the Spartans a lot this season and this should be a win for them. Jamal Carter enters the season healthy for them as well.

Gulliver-Chaminade
-This is a nice matchup between two teams that have talent. Chaminade-Madonna is led by FSU commit Adrian Baker and DE Joe Jones. Gulliver has a good offensive line and running game led by RB Bo Ellis.

Central-Grayson (Ga.)
-Perhaps the premier game in the entire nation this week, Central will travel to Georgia to face #1 Ranked player in the country, Robert Nkemdiche. It will be interesting to see the matchup between Nkemdiche and Miami 2014 commit Trevor Darling.
-Central struggled last week in a 15-7 win over Dwyer.
-Game will be televised on ESPNU.

Glades Day-Pace
-Another game to keep an eye on, Pace is an under-the-radar team this year. Glades Day is led by UF commit and all-time state of Florida rushing leader, Kelvin Taylor. Pace is very strong on the defensive side of the ball, led by Northwestern commit, Anthony Walker. Their offensive line should be strong as well.

Cypress Bay-Deerfield Beach
-Cypress Bay is a very well-rounded team and defeated Homestead 17-10 last week. Deerfield Beach looks to return to their glory days this year led by star player Brandon Powell (2014).

Sunday

Miramar-Manatee
-The young Patriots of Miramar will travel to Bradenton to face Manatee on a nationally televised game (3PM on ESPN). The Patriots defeated McArthur 28-0 last week, but will be facing the #3 team in the country this week. Manatee is led by dual-threat QB Cord Sandberg (Miss. St) and an extremely strong defensive line with Derrick Calloway, 2014 DT Demarcus Christmas, and UCF DE commit Blake Keller.
-Cameron Underwood will have more on this game as the week progresses.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Yeah, I'll have plenty of coverage on the Miramar game. My in-depth preview will be posted on Saturday. I'll also be live-tweeting the game. Follow me on twitter: @MiramarSports

As it is right now, I will be at the Killian-Homestead game on Thursday. The game is scheduled for 7 at Southridge

Advertisement
I thought last week was preseason? Are we already in week 2 of HS Football?

Not sure if Manatee has the same DL as last season, but that they were tough up front, played in Good Counsel's backfield all game long. Looking forward to how Grace plays on the big stage.

Advertisement
Wanna see your guy Ermon Lane up close and personal in game action huh?
How do you think the matchup with him and Washington will go?

As it is right now, I will be at the Killian-Homestead game on Thursday. The game is scheduled for 7 at Southridge

Yea haha I'm excited to see Lane and Trumaine match up. We will see what happens, Lane has a huge size advantage so that's in his favor. Tru is feisty though and will get right in his face.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back