Wednesday deadline for Rose Bowl to join CFP

But even those won't get you the best teams.

Take this weekend for example. If LSU beats UGA or UNC beats Clemson or Utah beats USC or worst Purdue beats Michigan. Does an 8-4 Purdue really deserve to get in over 11-1 Ohio State or 12-1 Michigan or 10-2 Bama?

Only way that might work is if conferences get rid of divisions.

Then you may end up with a lot of rematches in the conf championship like OSU vs Mich and Clemson vs FSU and USC vs Oregon type games but at least you'll have the 2 best teams in the conference playing for the conf championship.
But why is it always “the best teams” rather than who earns it on the field? And are you really the best if you lose to an 8-4 Purdue? Adding the eye test adds so much bias and brings into play reputation, past performance, recruiting rankings. Just earn it on the **** field. Let’s remove all biases and make it cut and dry. Win your conference and you’re in. Sometimes that means upsets. I’m okay with that. We love March Madness Cinderella teams, why not here?

Advertisement
And people complained when the initial 4 team playoff was instituted.

That's simply not true. With 8 teams there will be little to no argument about who was left out/didn't deserve to be there. Any team who comes out on top of a 12 team playoff has definitely earned the right to be called champion. It won't make the regular season any less significant.. In fact, you will likely see less teams schedule cupcakes during the regular season as they look to bolster their OOC matchups to have a better chance of being ranked for the playoff at the end of the season. The post season has been dying for some time now as players who are expected to be drafted opt out of the bowl games bc their team is not in the playoff. This helps to remedy that. Also, more games = more revenues for conferences/schools. Lastly, there will be a much greater chance for a non-SEC team to win. There has only been 2 (Ohio St and Clemson) to win the cfp in its 7/8 year history.
No one outside the top 4 has a claim to the thrown. This is stupid and ruins the regular season which is the best regular season in all sports. Playoffs will be mostly a SEC playoff for the foreseeable future.

What this is about, is money. End of story.

But why is always “the best teams” rather than who earns it on the field? And are you really the best if you lose to an 8-4 Purdue? Adding the eye test adds so much bias and brings into play reputation, past performance, recruiting rankings. Just earn it on the **** field. Let’s remove all biases and make it cut and dry. Win your conference and you’re in. Sometimes that means upsets. I’m okay with that. We love March Madness Cinderella teams, why not here?
Because in basketball that Cinderella team doesn't take a chance from a legit title contender to compete in the tournament. And that Cinderella team has to keep on striking gold to keep advancing. Purdue just had to find lightning once to make it and most likely will get blown out the next game.

And in college football, because the playoff has so few teams and games, it'll water down the tournament.

You really think an 8-4 Purdue team would deserve to get in over an 11-1 OSU team who's only loss was to Michigan? Purdue lost 24-3 to 7-5 Iowa. Nobody believes they're a top 4 (or top 12) team in the country.

Only team that would love that is the team that gets to play Purdue instead of Michigan in the first round.. nobody else would watch because they'd be 3TD underdogs.

Like I said, only way it works is if conferences scrap divisions and guarantee they're getting the 2 best teams in the conf championship game, even if it means a repeat game.

Even then we still need some conference parity. All 10 conferences don't deserve equal representation..the #1 team in the Sun Belt is most likely much worse than the #2 team in the SEC.

Because in basketball that Cinderella team doesn't take a chance from a legit title contender to compete in the tournament. And that Cinderella team has to keep on striking gold to keep advancing. Purdue just had to find lightning once to make it and most likely will get blown out the next game.

And in college football, because the playoff has so few teams and games, it'll water down the tournament.

You really think an 8-4 Purdue team would deserve to get in over an 11-1 OSU team who's only loss was to Michigan? Purdue lost 24-3 to 7-5 Iowa. Nobody believes they're a top 4 (or top 12) team in the country.

Only team that would love that is the team that gets to play Purdue instead of Michigan in the first round.. nobody else would watch because they'd be 3TD underdogs.

Like I said, only way it works is if conferences scrap divisions and guarantee they're getting the 2 best teams in the conf championship game, even if it means a repeat game.

Even then we still need some conference parity. All 10 conferences don't deserve equal representation..the #1 team in the Sun Belt is most likely much worse than the #2 team in the SEC.
I never said I believed they were top 4. The argument has to change from "what we think" to "what they accomplish." Upsets happen. It's what makes sports great. Miracle on Ice doesn't happen 9/10 times. But that ONE game they won. USSR was the "better" team, but not on that night. I would agree getting rid of divisions would be ideal. Then each conference can have two legit teams in their title game rather than worrying about an 8-4 Purdue being in.

I just hate that every year the committee and media bend over backwards to justify specific teams getting in. It went from quality wins to quality losses. Why on earth are we talking about 2-loss Bama getting in over (potentially) 1-loss TCU who played in their Power 5 title game? Why are we even talking Bama over Tennessee when Tennessee beat them and they have the same record? The games have to matter. Like D$ said, we're diluting the importance of the regular season. Bama and Ohio State are essentially guaranteed CFP entry every year in a 12-team CFP with 6 at larges.

And yes, I'd love to see the Sun Belt champ in. I'd love to see the Coastal Carolinas and App States get a shot, especially with how App has upset (or taken to the wire) so many blue-bloods. Not every team can be in the SEC or B1G, so we're penalizing them now? Give every team in the country a chance to get in. They may not win, but it's a huge accomplishment getting there. It's like us getting to the Elite 8 this year. That's huge for us. It can't be championship or bust every year for every team.

8 was right there for the perfect number to expand but still keep the regular season important.

5 -P5 conference champions
1- best group of 5 team
2 - at large bids
The SEC and B1G fingerprints are all over this....we will soon have the Power 4, with at least half the spots going to two teams from each of those conferences...which is what they want

Advertisement
8 was right there for the perfect number to expand but still keep the regular season important.

5 -P5 conference champions
1- best group of 5 team
2 - at large bids
All about the money. The current contract included the same amount of games than an 8-team playoff would be, so no growth in money. They went 12 to rework the deal.

The expansion of the playoff was necessary - I realize people won't/don't like it, but without giving more teams the ability to play meaningful games at the end of the season, we would continue to see the college football postseason rot away. With the glut of meaningless bowl games, eventually enough players would be sitting them out that viewership would go WAYYYY down. CFB is my favorite thing, and more meaningful games is never a bad thing. In my opinion, obviously. I was personally a proponent of the 8 team playoff, because it just made sense, but I won't fight progress

Maybe an expanded playoff spreads talent around since you don't have to play for one of about 6 teams to ever have a shot at it.

College football has a playoff.

Adding 8 more teams will get us no closer to finding the best team. Four is the right number, and even then there are a usually a couple teams that don’t belong.
Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Clemson, and now UGA have been so dominant 4 made sense because it clear early in the season who the top handful of team were, the NC game was nearly a given.

As CFB gains more parity 12 teams may make sense. I preferred 8, but conference poaching put a damper on that. With more CFP teams elite recruits will be less likely to pool among the same handful of teams.

This year UGA looks destined, but maybe USC or Michigan can pull an upset. TCU, not so sure.

Advertisement
No one outside the top 4 has a claim to the thrown. This is stupid and ruins the regular season which is the best regular season in all sports. Playoffs will be mostly a SEC playoff for the foreseeable future.

What this is about, is money. End of story.

I know of ONE team that would beg to differ...

1669925822271.png

Advertisement
Back