We sittin out Pro Days Next?

Advertisement
I tore mine last year playing football at work and it still gives me **** on certain days. But I am 37 so there is that 😂😂. Trying to stick a young kid like I still got it

Be easy on it; and 37 is the new 27, friend. These youngins wish they could. Lol

I've sort of wondered why day 1 guys bother with it, especially sure fire first rounders.
Part of it, too, is the business relationships between agents and the guys who run these lucrative draft prep operations.

Agent steers his guy to a facility, these trainers can help the agent with future prospects with whom the trainers have connections.

Also, guys putting in daily work getting ready are (theoretically) less likely to be in the streets getting caught up in something that hurts their draft stock.

Gotta protect that investment.

Part of it, too, is the business relationships between agents and the guys who run these lucrative draft prep operations.

Agent steers his guy to a facility, these trainers can help the agent with future prospects with whom the trainers have connections.

Also, guys putting in daily work getting ready are (theoretically) less likely to be in the streets getting caught up in something that hurts their draft stock.

Gotta protect that investment.
I always laugh at last part, work with a bunch of guys older and younger.. They have TONS of downtime, no matter what.. Even the super serious guys that workout twice a day with massages inbetween.. If someone is looking for trouble aint enough **** you can fill his schedule with..

Advertisement
Agreed, man. The combine & Pro Day is really designed for under the Radar Players. If I’m a Day 1 guy, I’m competing in agility drills & bench press only. That’s me. U have the football tape, all u need to see are my football IQ via interviews, physical attributes, athleticism, & strength. That’s it.
The reason is - if you can move up even just a couple slots in the 1st Round, you've made yourself millions of dollars.

Here's the contracts by draft slot last year:

#1 Overall - $36 million
#5 Overall - $30 million
#10 Overall - $20 million
#20 Overall - $13 million
#30 Overall - $11 million
Last Overall - $3 million

Say 2 DE's are projected to go around #15. 1 DE kills it as his pro day & goes #10 while the other sits his pro day & goes #20. That's a $7 million swing.

This happened last year when Jaelan Phillips made millions at Miami's pro day while Rousseau lost millions.

1st RD guys actually have more to gain/lose contract wise with just a couple positions. Falling from a 2nd RD to 4th RD is only about a $3 million difference.

The reason is - if you can move up even just a couple slots in the 1st Round, you've made yourself millions of dollars.

Here's the contracts by draft slot last year:

#1 Overall - $36 million
#5 Overall - $30 million
#10 Overall - $20 million
#20 Overall - $13 million
#30 Overall - $11 million
Last Overall - $3 million

Say 2 DE's are projected to go around #15. 1 DE kills it as his pro day & goes #10 while the other sits his pro day & goes #20. That's a $7 million swing.

This happened last year when Jaelan Phillips made millions at Miami's pro day while Rousseau lost millions.

1st RD guys actually have more to gain/lose contract wise with just a couple positions. Falling from a 2nd RD to 4th RD is only about a $3 million difference.

U make a fair point; but honestly, some guys r penciled in regardless. But that’s a good point to consider.

U make a fair point; but honestly, some guys r penciled in regardless. But that’s a good point to consider.

I agree with you - and IMO it's a case by case basis. It can be a slippery slope. For some players it definitely makes sense to not work out. Some benefit. Some strategically just do the drills they're good at and skip the ones where they're not.

I agree with you - and IMO it's a case by case basis. It can be a slippery slope. For some players it definitely makes sense to not work out. Some benefit. Some strategically just do the drills they're good at and skip the ones where they're not.

Exactly. This could be especially true if a team is undecided between u & someone else at ur position. Moving up a spot or two can make a difference.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back