We should have had a Spread Offense from the Start

bigsonnyu

Sophomore
We saw the writing on the wall from the very start. We heard how this Freshman superstar was coming off the edge, racking up 5 sacks a practice during camp! All the while, we were having issues at Tackle, which was apparent with the news of George Brown, who we heard nothing good about previously, suddenly getting 1st team reps at Tackle early on....

To be fair, the roster change forced our hand in a few ways... As with McDermott leaving, it made sense to reposition our most veteran Tackle (St Louis) from RT, over to LT.... Then with things not working out with Brown, the next logical thing to do is to try out Donaldson at RT. Things still weren't fixed, as we heard about a weight-loss campaign, in that once Donaldson lost the needed amount of weight he'll become nimble enough to handle the position. At Guard, Jahir Jones has been the same guy since AQM abused him, and he has continued to suck since then, not because he doesn't have the body, but because he doesn't get it and doesn't have an ounce of dog in him.

All the signs were there... We were having issues at OL!!!!!! Therefore, with all of the above in play... This staff had more than enough time to tag this OL as shaky at best, especially going against our DL - we had to see it!!!

Therefore, the reason I'm disappointed in this team is because, anytime you have a shaky OL, it's the job of a great Football Coach to assess the situation, and adjust to what our personnel is capable of...

However, CMR relished the idea of bringing in two (2) top tier TE's, along with a FB, and went with his dreams over his reality. CMR thought things would work themselves out, and ultimately we'd be able to just bully people around, then throw some TE's pop passes to either of our two freshmen TE's, and all would we well with his soul! - Injuries at TE also hurt us, but the point is to assess and make the adjustment!!!

The reality is, while Jordan has been decent, Mallory wasn't nearly as ready to compete in the trenches in 2 TE sets... Coupled with us refusing to play the right guys at OL, we never stood a chance... I hear people saying it's time to try Williams at QB, but inserting him into our current formula will probably get him hurt!

The whole entire time, considering what we have to work with, we were better off going with a spread offense. Spreading the defense out to help both your QB and the big guys in the trenches. Instead of CMR being so enamored with his TE's, we should heave been utilizing the skills of Thomas, Cager, Harley, Hightower, Pope, Wiggins, Ezzard, and company!

Instead, we see CMR sticking to his guns, and giving us more of the same (Ex: Hillery wearing #33 in 2 TE sets), calling for better execution out of guys in wrong positions, while also playing a few guys that shouldn't even be starting (Jahir Jones)!

We need to cut the crap and go with the following:

WR: Cager / Ezzard

WR: Thomas / Pope

RT: St Louis
RG: Donaldson
C: Gaynor or Mahoney QB: Nkosi RB Dallas/Homer
LG: Gauthier
LT: Boulware

WR: Harley -or- TE: Jordan

WR: Hightower / Langham or Wiggins

The St Louis & Donaldson repositioning project failed... Rekindle the fire and harmony on the right side of the line for goodness sake. Center is a very serviceable position, and I have no problem going with Gaynor or even Mahoney there, so that we can keep Gauthier on the field, to upgrade the overall line at LG. Next, though I like Scaife, his mistakes are due to youth and lack of experience, so instead lets groom him along - behind Boulware who is more mature/experienced, and just as nimble; not to mention he seems to have been coached well (good fundamentals) in his time at TN.

Listen, I like Coach Richt for his overall swag and clout and ability to close on top guys, both as recruits and position coaches - but he has got to wake up! As bad as things are right now, we can still turn things around and finish strong and salvage our recruiting class... That's paramount, because next year, we'll be rebuilding on Defense, and we gotta reload there, or we're *****'d; but thats another story!!

I think the above lineup at OL is our best combo possible, based on the holes we've seen.. Also, what do you guys think about trashing the power running attempts, in lieu of a spread offense? IMO, it'll definately help to go with this formation predominately, to keep the defense from crowding the box, again which will help our OL, and our QB, not to mention improve our running game...

Single-Wing_spread.0.jpg

Last edited:
Advertisement
I agree. I used to be a 100% under center pro-style guy for UM.

That only works when you have great recruiters and evaluators in the coaching ranks. We don't have that.

Without elite OL croots you can't really run an under center offense unless you go Paul Johnson.

I'm all about the spread for us going forward. It's facts that this staph will never recruit and field a top tier OL so we have to make do with what we have.

HIRE YOST!!!!

It’s a pipe dream at this point, there’s no way Richt implements it. He would’ve had to do so in Spring and Fall camps for it to work effectively. But I like the OL changes, those we can do ASAP.

I like the thought of going spread to stretch the D out...but I think we mix it in with both under center and shotgun looks. Would open up the PA and screen game a little more. Stretch runs with zone blocking to let our backs one cut and pick the hole.

Advertisement

That only works when you have great recruiters and evaluators in the coaching ranks. We don't have that.

Without elite OL croots you can't really run an under center offense unless you go Paul Johnson.

I'm all about the spread for us going forward. It's facts that this staph will never recruit and field a top tier OL so we have to make do with what we have.

HIRE YOST!!!!

Exactly bro!! Landing the best talent at OL will continue to be a problem, so until something changes there, my vote is to switch it up like Dennis Erickson did during his time here - with a spread offense.

Ummm....They use that personnel grouping on 90% of the plays. The only time they use a fullback is in short yardage (thankfully) and with the lack of tight end depth, they rarely, if ever use a two tight end set. They play practically the whole game with 11 personnel. (1 TE 1 RB)

The problem isn't that they don't use spread formations, it's that they don't use enough air raid/spread concepts in the passing game. When your line can't pass protect, you have two options:

Keep everyone in to block and only release two or three guys into the pattern.

Run much shorter patterns and get the ball out of the QB's hand faster.

For some reason, Richt insists on running all these slow developing vertical patters that require the line to protect for more than a second or two. On top of that, he goes empty way too often not leaving anybody else in to help protect a quarterback who doesn't go through progressions quickly and has a molasses slow release.

It’s a pipe dream at this point, there’s no way Richt implements it. He would’ve had to do so in Spring and Fall camps for it to work effectively. But I like the OL changes, those we can do ASAP.

We have some good young minds in the room that should be able to help accomplish it. The hurdle is CMR giving in a little bit. Im also for Coach Simpson helping out with teaching our guys at OL. He seems like a technician, and they could use the help.

Ummm....They use that personnel grouping on 90% of the plays. The only time they use a fullback is in short yardage (thankfully) and with the lack of tight end depth, they rarely, if ever use a two tight end set. They play practically the whole game with 11 personnel. (1 TE 1 RB)

The problem isn't that they don't use spread formations, it's that they don't use enough air raid/spread concepts in the passing game. When your line can't pass protect, you have two options:

For some reason, Richt insists on running all these slow developing vertical patters that require the line to protect for more than a second or two. On top of that, he goes empty way too often not leaving anybody else in to help protect a quarterback who doesn't go through progressions quickly and has a molasses slow release.

I didn't elaborate, when I say spread, in my mind, I think of air raid/spread concepts as well, mixed in with a few unpredictable runs...

Run-n-Gun basically.

Advertisement

HIRE YOST!!!!

Pretty sure you can't run this offense without better coaches and elite recruits.

We do this **** every year. Add a Donaldson, everything is going to be better.

This is a coaching issue, and there is no other way to look at it. These guys simply don't play ****ed and the play calls are designed for anything but quick hitters. That goes to preparation and ability to scheme around your personnel. There are quite a few offensive minds that would get a TON out of the situation we have here, just not who we have. A great OC would have our focus where it belongs...how will our defense do today against Team X?

UM

I didn't elaborate, when I say spread, in my mind, I think of air raid/spread concepts as well, mixed in with a few unpredictable runs...

Run-n-Gun basically.

Never loved the thought of that type concept at Miami, but that is what solid coaching should do....adapt to your personnel and scheme to your strengths.
I am a play action off of the run guy...but when you can't run the freakin ball worth a **** because teams are daring you to throw...get (uh oh...heres a word Richt hates) unpredictable and throw high percentage stuff. At least with this type of Leach offense, runs are a little more unpredictable draws and quick hitters and rely less on elite massive road graters and sustained blocking for delayed east-west ****.

This always goes back to the Coker-Berlin thing for me. It drove me literally f-king mad watching the world learn, yet AGAIN, how lethal Berlin could be out of shotgun, only to have Coker put him right back under center the next game. Sure, you can't change your entire offense during a season..I get that...but a true offensive guy can make the adjustments necessary once defenses figure out the code so to speak.

UM

Honestly, we probably should have made the switch in 2005, when the Davis recruits had all cycled out.

Miami made its bones by being ahead of the curve on both sides of the ball, emphasizing the athletes in our backyard.

The logical next step was to spread it out, and instead we have been mediocre af ever since. I'd say we are at a crossroads but that's not really what it is, because it's really just choosing to keep going down the same road or not.

Advertisement
However, CMR relished the idea of bringing in two (2) top tier TE's, along with a FB, and went with his dreams over his reality. CMR thought things would work themselves out, and ultimately we'd be able to just bully people around, then throw some TE's pop passes to either of our two freshmen TE's, and all would we well with his soul! - Injuries at TE also hurt us, but the point is to assess and make the adjustment!!!

The whole entire time, considering what we have to work with, we were better off going with a spread offense. Spreading the defense out to help both your QB and the big guys in the trenches. Instead of CMR being so enamored with his TE's, we should heave been utilizing the skills of Thomas, Cager, Harley, Hightower, Pope, Wiggins, Ezzard, and company!

Was listening to Stefan's podcast yesterday with Jalen Wydermyer. Kid mentioned the staff was selling him on the fact that Richt's best years at UGA came when he had "two elite TE's on the field." That's great and all but "elite TE's" don't just fall out of the sky year after year. Still have to be able to scheme around weakness and generate some pop outside of a given system at times. This offensive staff has shown zero ability to do that. The system needs a total overhaul no doubt about it.

We saw the writing on the wall from the very start. We heard how this Freshman superstar was coming off the edge, racking up 5 sacks a practice during camp! All the while, we were having issues at Tackle, which was apparent with the news of George Brown, who we heard nothing good about previously, suddenly getting 1st team reps at Tackle early on....

To be fair, the roster change forced our hand in a few ways... As with McDermott leaving, it made sense to reposition our most veteran Tackle (St Louis) from RT, over to LT.... Then with things not working out with Brown, the next logical thing to do is to try out Donaldson at RT. Things still weren't fixed, as we heard about a weight-loss campaign, in that once Donaldson lost the needed amount of weight he'll become nimble enough to handle the position. At Guard, Jahir Jones has been the same guy since AQM abused him, and he has continued to suck since then, not because he doesn't have the body, but because he doesn't get it and doesn't have an ounce of dog in him.

All the signs were there... We were having issues at OL!!!!!! Therefore, with all of the above in play... This staff had more than enough time to tag this OL as shaky at best, especially going against our DL - we had to see it!!!

Therefore, the reason I'm disappointed in this team is because, anytime you have a shaky OL, it's the job of a great Football Coach to assess the situation, and adjust to what our personnel is capable of...

The reality is, while Jordan has been decent, Mallory wasn't nearly as ready to compete in the trenches in 2 TE sets... Coupled with us refusing to play the right guys at OL, we never stood a chance... I hear people saying it's time to try Williams at QB, but inserting him into our current formula will probably get him hurt!

Instead, we see CMR sticking to his guns, and giving us more of the same (Ex: Hillery wearing #33 in 2 TE sets), calling for better execution out of guys in wrong positions, while also playing a few guys that shouldn't even be starting (Jahir Jones)!

We need to cut the crap and go with the following:

WR: Cager / Ezzard

WR: Thomas / Pope

RT: St Louis
RG: Donaldson
C: Gaynor or Mahoney QB: Nkosi RB Dallas/Homer
LG: Gauthier
LT: Boulware

WR: Harley -or- TE: Jordan

WR: Hightower / Langham or Wiggins

The St Louis & Donaldson repositioning project failed... Rekindle the fire and harmony on the right side of the line for goodness sake. Center is a very serviceable position, and I have no problem going with Gaynor or even Mahoney there, so that we can keep Gauthier on the field, to upgrade the overall line at LG. Next, though I like Scaife, his mistakes are due to youth and lack of experience, so instead lets groom him along - behind Boulware who is more mature/experienced, and just as nimble; not to mention he seems to have been coached well (good fundamentals) in his time at TN.

Listen, I like Coach Richt for his overall swag and clout and ability to close on top guys, both as recruits and position coaches - but he has got to wake up! As bad as things are right now, we can still turn things around and finish strong and salvage our recruiting class... That's paramount, because next year, we'll be rebuilding on Defense, and we gotta reload there, or we're *****'d; but thats another story!!

I think the above lineup at OL is our best combo possible, based on the holes we've seen.. Also, what do you guys think about trashing the power running attempts, in lieu of a spread offense? IMO, it'll definately help to go with this formation predominately, to keep the defense from crowding the box, again which will help our OL, and our QB, not to mention improve our running game...

View attachment 68562
We should have known that Richt lied from the very start as you eloquently said in this post...and i agree! But to add to that is when he lock us out of practices and no open scrimmages of importance that fans could witness and then he plays the first team against the second team! So, whatever you are getting from that will always be a false narrative! Meaning we were all being lied to from the very start of camp! It was all a lie from the beginning when we heard Rosier looked like the best in running the offense!!

Richt lied not only to us but to his players too, because they got set up when they played LSU that first game and they all said they were not ready for it and didn't know what hit them with the speed and talent!!

Richt wanted his offense to look good during practice only to make a fool of himself now that reality has hit him squarely side the head!!

Rick directly stated he doesn't believe in running an uptempo spread offense when he hired Schottenheimer as OC at UGA. He will use some spread concepts but will not adapt like he needs to.

Rick doesn't believe in an offense that isn't old enough to run for President.

Advertisement
Imagine Mark Richt running the spread with no explosive plays. I think I just barfed, at least mentally.

We do run the spread. We're in 10 and 11 personnel most of the game. However, like I eluded to last year, Richt wants to run the spread but isn't updated enough to understand/implement any of the common spread concepts.

We don't run any "quick game". (i.e. quick passes)
We don't utilize spacing. (which would help our run game)
We run inside zone 38 times per game but almost never have the QB pull the ball.
Very few RPO's if any, but that can be attributed to the QB's I suppose.
No jet sweep, or any concepts with jet motion. (sweep, flood, midline read, etc)

Our offense is very high school'ish.
Matter of fact, I know a few high school OC's that run more versatile offenses.
It's bad.

My law partner is a Baylor guy. He's seen almost every play they've run in the last 25 years. He said when Briles was there, the run/pass ratio was very close to 50:50. That surprised me and he says it surprises most people. RBs love the offense too (not just receivers) because the scheme sets up a lot of 1 on 1s for the RBs. It's not strictly a passing offense. Far from it.

Another benefit of the Briles or Briles-esque offense is you have about 85-90 plays per game, rather than 60-65. 50% more plays, more touches, necessarily more catches, more runs, more yards, better stats, etc. The players love playing in it. The offense doesn't have 1 1,000 yard rusher. It has 2. It doesn't have 1 1,000 yard receiver. It has 3. That should be an easy sell for the "me" kids in south Florida who want to play for a winner and want to look real good doing it. Baylor did very well even after UT and TAMU took the best of the best in Texas.

The biggest problem with Briles' offense is you can't muscle for 1 or 2 yards. The OL never practices that type of blocking so they're not good at it. They practice tempo so much and get so good at it that they don't have time to do anything else. He didn't think Briles ever got that problem fixed. He means both Sr. and Jr. When Baylor was rockin' though, no one cared all that much that they couldn't muscle for 1 or 2 yards. The need doesn't arise that much.

Have you seen the dude cut and eat a sandwich? He thinks he knows the perfect way to do everything.

Advertisement
Back