We need a big time recruit at RB

What this esteemed panel of running back experts piling on Knighton (and even Chaney) have failed to mention is that our second leading rusher is also our QB.

Even more than that, King leads the team in rushing attempts.

You'd think such an astute group of running back tacticians would have noticed that, and included it it in their overall critique and analysis,

But please do go on with your attempts to dissect and analyze our players and running game without even taking into account the guy who leads in rushes this year.

It is one thing to say he’s had a case of freshman fumbleitis which needs to be corrected, but to approach it as some he is some sort of miserable freshmens failure is laughable. When was the last time we had 2 such talented true freshmen splitting carries with a primary running back and a QB that runs frequently? Some people don’t even see what’s right in front of them.

Advertisement
I hope you’re kidding
Nope.

Tick Tock GIF by memecandy

Knighton has 209 yds, 4.0 ypc, 1 TD & fumbled 3 times on 52 carries. I agree with you - that's not good, and there's just no way around that.

I disagree when you say things like he's a poor mans Cooper, slow, should transfer, etc. - that's just going way too far. He's more talented than you're giving him credit for.

My basic take is:

He's shook. He's lost confidence since he lost that fumble vs FSU, and it hasn't come back. But if it does next year - watchout.

My long winded take is:

Before the FSU fumble you could really see his speed and change of direction quickness (even in just a few runs). I think he had a bit of a rude awakening getting caught from behind by DL & LB's in those games that surprised him a little - that didn't happen much in HS. I admire his willingness to cut back into the heart of the defense and be physical. I would rather have a RB that you need to teach to bounce runs outside a little more (which is what Knighton needs to do) vs. a RB that bounces outside too much and needs to work the middle of the field more (which is what Cam needs to do). But that's just my personal preference. Vs FSU I saw Knighton stack defenders at the 2nd & 3rd level with moves better than I've seen Cam & Chaney do this year.

After the FSU game, he's become very vanilla, straightfoward runner. He isn't even trying to make moves. Again, I think it's a confidence thing - and it's been weird to watch. The fumbles aren't helping. You can really see this if you watch his kick returns vs NC St. He just ran straight forward on all 4 He had plenty of runway and space and didn't even try to change directions. Really weird. Again, I admire the physicality - but that's never going to be his game. Speed & shiftiness is.

Starting Knighton vs Duke was a weird decision - and this is me totally reading between the lines - but that might have been part of Manny trying to build his confidence back up by getting in some good runs early vs a terrible Duke run defense. It backfired with him fumbling the first carry and then getting hurt - but I like the idea.

So - it's been a rough year for Knighton, no question. But the talent is there - just need to be patient. Increased confidence/size/experience should show next year. He's got natural talent, and there's plenty of things he can improve on independent of OL play that'll make him a better player with better results.
Don't forget he's had 11 catches 135 yards and a touchdown. Some freshman wear down over a long season. His run he fumbled on was a good run. If he wouldn't of fumbled he probably would've had made some plays. They definitely wanted to build his confidence on Saturday. Hopefully he gains 10 lbs and runs a little lower

Chaney just had his best game and looked really good. 9-62 rushing and 4-81 receiving. I hope he plays like that against north Carolina. I really think he can be the best rb since gore. He is that guy

Advertisement
What this esteemed panel of running back experts piling on Knighton (and even Chaney) have failed to mention is that our second leading rusher is also our QB.

Even more than that, King leads the team in rushing attempts.

You'd think such an astute group of running back tacticians would have noticed that, and included it it in their overall critique and analysis,

But please do go on with your attempts to dissect and analyze our players and running game without even taking into account the guy who leads in rushes this year.

It is one thing to say he’s had a case of freshman fumbleitis which needs to be corrected, but to approach it as some he is some sort of miserable freshmens failure is laughable. When was the last time we had 2 such talented true freshmen splitting carries with a primary running back and a QB that runs frequently? Some people don’t even see what’s right in front of them.

I don't get this - you appear to be responding to an argument no one is making.

Who (besides the OP) in this thread is piling on Knighton, or calling him a failure? Who, at all, is piling on Chaney? What does Kings carries have to do at all with how Chaney/Knighton have looked on their 50+ carries this year?

It's perfectly ok to think Chaney/Knighton are talented RB's who will have a great careers at Miami while also acknowledging they've had some struggles as Freshman.

Chaney is the most elite RB we’ve had in twenty years. I absolutely loved Duke here and will forever be a fan. However, he didn’t have the size, power or speed that Chaney has. The kid high jumped 7’1”, ran a sub 21, a 4.4 40, 41 vert and can back squat as a freshman 600 PLUS pounds. LMAO if you’ve ever even smelled anyone with these physical attributes. Oh... he’s going to be a ******* Doctor!!! Grow a brain. When he’s in New York for the Heisman ceremony, eat ****.

who bashed Chaney in here?

Here's the YPC since Duke for True Freshman with 40+ carries:

Duke - 6.8
Yearby - 5.9
Dallas - 5.3
Gus - 5.1
Chaney - 4.6
Knighton - 4.0
Walton - 3.5

IMO the OL & Offense in 2020 hasn't been noticeably worse than it was 2012 - 2019 - and multiple other RB's have put up better numbers.

The OL plays a role - but if you place ALL the running troubles on the OL, then you're not looking critically enough at the RB's.
Duke was a featured back behind a much better OL. So they're on par with a bunch of NFL guys. What's the complaint again?

The OP was over the top - and the RB's just had their best game in the last 7 games - so bad/weird timing optic wise. I'm looking at the full season.

Cam/Chaney/Knighton were all receiving "next Duke Johnson" type hype before the season (which I warned was overhyping them at the time). They haven't been close.

Use Deejay Dallas as the measuring stick instead - Cam hasn't been as good as Deejay was as a Jr. Chaney/Knighton haven't been as good as Deejay was as a Fr. I love Deejay Dallas. I'd be happy if Chaney/Knighton became Deejay level players - but be honest with yourself - their expectations have always been above Deejay.

Chaney/Knighton have shown glimpses this year, and I think they can be great RB's here. But I was expecting them to be closer to the finished product right off the bat (and my expectations were lower than most). They've been good, not great.

IMO there's obviously a next step they need to take. I don't think they're already the finished product, and now it's just up to the OL to step up.

We literally have one running play. Ive tempered my expectations of the run game with Lashlee.

We are ging to have to become more creative with those freshman backs next season.

Advertisement
We literally have one running play. Ive tempered my expectations of the run game with Lashlee.

We are ging to have to become more creative with those freshman backs next season.
I hear you and get the frustration of the play calling at times.

I think the OL/Plays/RB's all play a part in when the running game has struggled at times.

My perspective just differs in that I think the RB's are playing a bigger part in those struggles than most.

Duke was a featured back behind a much better OL. So they're on par with a bunch of NFL guys. What's the complaint again?

Duke was the #2 RB his Freshman year and averaged 6.8 ypc. Mike James was an NFL RB and was the #1 RB that year - and he averaged 4.2 ypc behind the same OL.

Just having better OL play isn't a given that the RB you put behind that OL will have a big year. That RB still needs to be talented.

I'm not making any complaints - just observations:

To your point that Chaney/Knighton are on a par with the other RB's I listed - I don't think it would go over well if someone said "Chaney/Knighton are on a par with Gus/Yearby", right?

It's all about what your expectations for Chaney/Knighton are - what you think their ceiling is.

Like, if you do think Knighton is the next Duke, and Knighton in his Freshman year is averaging 3 ypc less than Duke, 2 ypc less than Yearby &1 ypc less than Gus did in their Freshman year - then saying Knighton has been "a bit underwhelming" shouldn't be that bold of a statement, right?

OP is trolling but he’s not necessarily wrong think about it.

What back on our roster is as good as

Duke Johnson,
Clinton Portis
Edge
Mcgahee
Gore?
How about compare those RB's OL to our current situation then get back to us.

Advertisement
I know what you saying but we got the two beast running backs in south Florida. What we really need is a 5star db our secondary is trash period.

Advertisement
Chaney is the most elite RB we’ve had in twenty years. I absolutely loved Duke here and will forever be a fan. However, he didn’t have the size, power or speed that Chaney has. The kid high jumped 7’1”, ran a sub 21, a 4.4 40, 41 vert and can back squat as a freshman 600 PLUS pounds. LMAO if you’ve ever even smelled anyone with these physical attributes. Oh... he’s going to be a ******* Doctor!!! Grow a brain. When he’s in New York for the Heisman ceremony, eat ****.
Physical stats aren’t everything for an RB.

Vision
Balance
Feet
Power/Leg Drive
Acceleration
Then comes size and speed.
How about compare those RB's OL to our current situation then get back to us.
That is offset by the fact that these backs are running in a spread offense with zone read concepts.

Last edited:
TAC looks very explosive coming down hill and plays with aggression

I like what I see from him

as far as Knighton he has been a ghost all mid season

BTW, he isn’t as fast as i thought

This off-season he needs to
Train hard because the talent is there

Don Chaney is the REAL DEAL

yull bull is dragging Defenders!!!! Dude has “Home Run” speed

he is going to be “Scary” next season

Advertisement
Back