We lost because of the dline

Advertisement
All you need to know about our front 4's ability to pass rush is watch McCord struggle against a freshman LT and kamalu could not get around oleary one on one.

McCord was being held and hooked after getting by his guy all night with no call from the refs. Even my non-Canes friends were seeing it during live plays on tv, how the **** was there zero flags? Stevie Wonder could see the holding.

you cant blitz winston he'll pick you apart. you hafta create pressure with the front four. which we did not do once in the second half.

Weaker teams get worn down. This has only been a trend for more than a century. Nothing serious.

We've narrowed the gap on Florida State in most categories. Defensive line is not among them. Consequently their premier recruits are favorites to up their game nearing the finish line while our journeymen suddenly discover that effort and desire aren't quite enough.

It was blatantly obvious what would happen in the second half. I watched the tape today. Mack Brown was still predicting a Florida State win at halftime. I thought it was 50/50. Only if we score on our final 2nd quarter possession to stretch the lead to 30-10, and then hold Florida State on the subsequent drive, do we carry a strong mathematical edge into halftime. That's why I thought the Berrios drop was the key play in the game. Even if our tight end doesn't fumble the ball in the third quarter we aren't exactly a cinch to score a touchdown, the way the game had changed in the secondary. As I expected, the TV version didn't do justice to how much Florida State had tightened things up.

The weaknesses were still there. I posted that last week. It was actually a superb job to camouflage them for so long. Florida State did us a big favor by coming out throwing the ball. If Fischer had understood our vulnerability on the defensive line from the outset, a steady dose of running plays would have worn them out much earlier.

When an NFL team butchers first down draft choices over an extended period, the accumulation of failure bites them, even if the fan base is in denial. Likewise with defensive tackle recruiting in our case.

Advertisement
you cant blitz winston he'll pick you apart. you hafta create pressure with the front four. which we did not do once in the second half.

We didn't really do that in the first half, either. We created pressure by well schemed blitzes.

We didn't really do that in the first half, either. We created pressure by well schemed blitzes.

I really wonder if the coaches discussed going conservative thinking it would be "changing things up"?

Advertisement
Two blitzes in the second half

Is that true?

WQAM's Duane Starks criticized the defensive coaching after the game, saying he saw UM blitz only twice in the second half.

Starks is wrong. I admit, immediately watching the game live I thoughht the same thing that we were not blitzing that much. I rewatchhed the game and we blitzed a bunch in the 2nd half. Unfortunately, those blitzes were always very reactive (while on our heels) or mostly ineffective b/c someone like Fentress or Kirby was doing it.

All you need to know about our front 4's ability to pass rush is watch McCord struggle against a freshman LT and kamalu could not get around oleary one on one.

McCord was being held and hooked after getting by his guy all night with no call from the refs. Even my non-Canes friends were seeing it during live plays on tv, how the **** was there zero flags? Stevie Wonder could see the holding.

Meh, every OL holds. Fact remains that McCord has a long way to go to be an effective pass rusher. He's just not good at it.

d line has been our weakest unit the past 4 years with little improvement. jethro needs to go ASAP. dude can't recruit either

Advertisement

Meh, every OL holds. Fact remains that McCord has a long way to go to be an effective pass rusher. He's just not good at it.

I get that.

The holds were obvious when McCord was already PASSED the defender. He wasn't the only one getting the hook treatment. Last drive, the screen pass play, the guy at the bottom of the screen was past the tackle and the tackle literally grabbed the defenders arm and held him back. No holding call. If the tackle didn't do what he did, crab legs was going down for a sack.

Trend every game with the D is when the other team goes no-huddle we are cooked. Price you pay with 250 lbs chasing wrs!

DL is the most glaring weakness personnel wise. Has been for years. It's the head coach's job ultimately

Advertisement
Defensive line play and depth has been a big issue under Golden. The rest of the team has been making up for it lately, but last night showed that against elite teams, it needs to be fixed. That's all on Golden. He has to fix it or the program won't progress past the stage they are now.

Say what you want about the defense, they were holding up and forced FSU to FGs several times and caused the Cook fumble in the third.

Offense needed one more ****ing score. Loss is on them not the defense IMO

I respectfully disagree, when you have a lead like that your D needs to hold that lead. We went back to Golden's conservative Defense. That being said, our Offense wet the bed in the 2nd half too.

Advertisement
Back