We interviewed Mullen twice; was he the real #2 choice?

brcane1

Sophomore
We interview him once over the weekend and then again on Tuesday before Richt. I think he might have been the real #2 , but that the University and Korn Ferry are doing him a solid as a currently employed coach by not letting that leak to the media.

Mark Richt a fit at Miami, but expectations will remain high for new coach - Orlando Sentinel

Relevant: "Mississippi State's Dan Mullen fit that mold. Miami thought enough of him to interview him twice. The second one came Tuesday morning, just before Miami met with Richt."

Advertisement
2-28 against ranked teams. Ehhhhh

The pros for him are Urban coaching tree, SEC west experience (explains a lot of those ranked losses), and new age offense.

I still think we got the far superior hire for us at this time. We needed someone who would force our administraton and BOT to start dumping SEC type money into the program - I doubt Mullen would've had that kind of pull here.

2-28 against ranked teams. Ehhhhh

The pros for him are Urban coaching tree, SEC west experience (explains a lot of those ranked losses), and new age offense.

I still think we got the far superior hire for us at this time. We needed someone who would force our administraton and BOT to start dumping SEC type money into the program - I doubt Mullen would've had that kind of pull here.

Agree.

Richt comes with the leverage to get admin support, Mullen would not have had the same pull. Not even close.

... And I'm a fan of Mullen.

Advertisement
In before.... I wonder if he'd have any interest in the OC job? Lol

Good, means we dodged a bullet. Yeah I know I'm a hater. Everybody on here bashes someone and I never do. I choose Mullen

Guy is a total fraud. If he was second then we avoided another five years of mediocrity when richt accepted

Advertisement
Assuming Butch was on the outside looking in, it certainly sounds like Mullen was being seriously considered and they told him as much. He was definitely on the short list. There were stories for days linking him to the job as a finalist and he refused to comment on it at all, which is basically about as close as a coach can get to saying he's close to getting the gig. Otherwise he would put out the typical "I have a job and am very happy where I am" routine. The fact that he didnt ever come out with that line and that he stayed on Stealth mode for several days seems to indicate he was told he was a finalist.

I would hope either he or Butch were the #2 option. I think Mullen would have at least given some enthusiasm to the fan base and been someone to inject some fresh blood and hunger into the program. I would take Mullen all day over Schiano. I honestly hope the Schiano stuff was bull**** or it would show that these guys just have no clue what the fan base wanted. I mean its one thing if you told me most people were neutral on the guy and his resume was just perfect. But he's an abrasive douche who failed miserably in the NFL, and really wasnt all that at Rutgers. I dont think he would have been the worst hire, but there were much better options out there for us. Basically anyone not named Mario Cristobal would have been at least someone I could give a chance to. Even monkey boy. But there was no way he should have been above guys like Butch or Mullen on the short list.

I bet the Miss St. faithful hate Mulen now. He basically pulled the same stuff that Golden did when he actually thought PSU would hire him. Oooo welllll.

Dan Mullen would have a disaster

dude lives in 5th place and not beating anyone with a pulse
He is the Golden of the sec

Advertisement
UM leaked that Monkey Boy was #2 in order to protect Mullen and to make the UM fans even more ecstatic that we hired Richt. Good move by UM.

Ridiculous statement when he coaches in arguably the biggest recruiting black hole in the country. What the guy did against the $EC West with a fraction of the talent is flat out unprecedented at MSU.

UM

Advertisement

Ridiculous statement when he coaches in arguably the biggest recruiting black hole in the country. What the guy did against the $EC West with a fraction of the talent is flat out unprecedented at MSU.

UM

yes mentioning golden was ridiculous, everything else was 100% spot on
spot with the sec bs, he finishes around 5th place every year and doesn't beat anyone

I bet the Miss St. faithful hate Mulen now. He basically pulled the same stuff that Golden did when he actually thought PSU would hire him. Oooo welllll.

This is something that fanbase has come accustomed to. He has done it every season and never once dispelled any rumor. He knows he has that program where he wants them.

had a better record than Jimmy did in a tougher conference. Not saying he's better but you guys need to look deeper than wikipedia

had a better record than Jimmy did in a tougher conference. Not saying he's better but you guys need to look deeper than wikipedia

Obviously other sec schools have noticed him
Georgia, south Carolina and Missu should be banging down his door to win the "easier side"
oh that's right they aren't

Advertisement
Back