We interviewed Mullen twice; was he the real #2 choice?

UM leaked that Monkey Boy was #2 in order to protect Mullen and to make the UM fans even more ecstatic that we hired Richt. Good move by UM.

I can buy something like this, cause the fans would have revolted with Mario or Chimp. It was a three horse race in my opinion. I believe it was Butch \ Mullen, with the Hail Mary being Richt.

I honestly think either UGA gift wrapped us this one, or they caught wind that Richt was going to interview and were ****ed and dumped him, further making the Hail Rodgers less of a miracle.

Advertisement
UM leaked that Monkey Boy was #2 in order to protect Mullen and to make the UM fans even more ecstatic that we hired Richt. Good move by UM.
I think you are giving them too much credit. I don't think they are smart enough to do that, and I don't think they were even aware of the potential backlash or understood that Schiano would have been a bad hire. He wouldn't have been on their short list if they felt that way. They probably viewed him as a "home run". Miami ties, NFL experience, etc.

Advertisement
Back