We have two commits

Everyone in this topic has valid points including the OP as there are a lot of teams that currently have more commits than us. Examples:

OSU: 10
UGA: 8
LSU: 9
PSU: 7
OU: 5
ND: 6
FSU: 5

But if only a few commits at this point was something to be worried about than the following schools would also likely be concerned:

Clem: 3
UNC: 3
UF: 2
Alabama: 2

It's early, we had some coaching turnover and COVID has likely impacted their ability to scout players so they probably want to do some more evaluating before accepting commitments.

If we get to the start of next year and still only 2 commits, then we may need to panic.

Advertisement
If we get to the start of next year and still only 2 commits, then we may need to panic.

That's not going to be a problem with this staff. We have some hardcore recruiters now.

I think the challenge will be managing expectations and timing of Plan 1b/2 recruits who are super talented and want to commit early, while keeping enough spots open to pursue the Pan 1a elite kids who want to hold off before making a final decision.

Advertisement
Everyone in this topic has valid points including the OP as there are a lot of teams that currently have more commits than us. Examples:

OSU: 10
UGA: 8
LSU: 9
PSU: 7
OU: 5
ND: 6
FSU: 5

But if only a few commits at this point was something to be worried about than the following schools would also likely be concerned:

Clem: 3
UNC: 3
UF: 2
Alabama: 2

It's early, we had some coaching turnover and COVID has likely impacted their ability to scout players so they probably want to do some more evaluating before accepting commitments.

Not to worry.

we’ll just take all portal transfers like that alleged program Texas State, which I am almost convinced is a fictional university taken from some obscure movie.

Advertisement
Strangely....I'm not all that worried about this. Kids committing and stay committed for over 1 year is the outlier these days. You want the majority of your class committing between April-July.

Question: What's you over/under for SoFLA commits in the 2022 cycle? I'm going to say over 13 with half the class being from the Tri-County Dade/Broward/Palm Beach.

OP needs to hang out at the Rusty Pelican and “listen” for the “silent” commitments ......

Advertisement
I think the staff is ensuring we don't have any decommitments hence the lack of commitments prior to visits happening.

I do think the next commitment will be contagious and several will follow. A big name on D would do that. Just my opinion.

Official visits are not going to happen.

Advertisement
Remember, if we had gotten Jason Marshall in August 2020, our recruiting class would have pretty much been done at that point.

There is going to be an avalanche of commitment activity between February and August. Guaranteed. Regardless of whether any officials happen this fall, a ton of kids are going to "lock in" their spots.

Too many commits early in the year is a sign of weak recruiting, IMO. Too few could be a sign of struggles ... or of confidence.

With all our staff changes, I'm glad we don't have a lot because we'd be reprioritizing anyhow.

We're in no rush. Covid makes this class harder because the relationships aren't yet built as well, so that's an issue. I wouldn't want to be committing early if I were a '22 recruit.

Let's see the spring eval period and hopefully some summer camps. Look for us to start taking commitments March-May, then ramp in July, then slow down until Oct, or at least until we heal from the beatdown Alabama gives us. [****]

Too many commits early in the year is a sign of weak recruiting, IMO. Too few could be a sign of struggles ... or of confidence.

With all our staff changes, I'm glad we don't have a lot because we'd be reprioritizing anyhow.

We're in no rush. Covid makes this class harder because the relationships aren't yet built as well, so that's an issue. I wouldn't want to be committing early if I were a '22 recruit.

Let's see the spring eval period and hopefully some summer camps. Look for us to start taking commitments March-May, then ramp in July, then slow down until Oct, or at least until we heal from the beatdown Alabama gives us. [****]
In the vein, our best classes on paper have always had a ton of early commits. We have rarely finished with a quality class without a hot start - see '08, '12, '18, '21.

Remember, if we had gotten Jason Marshall in August 2020, our recruiting class would have pretty much been done at that point.

There is going to be an avalanche of commitment activity between February and August. Guaranteed. Regardless of whether any officials happen this fall, a ton of kids are going to "lock in" their spots.
Yes there will and that frame should be even more fun for us than last cycle.

Advertisement
Back