We have to do something about CBB being on TV...

TheOriginalCane

So say good night to the bad guy!
Premium
Scanned my TiVo for the next two weeks. ZERO baseball games on ACCN. Sure, hoops is wrapping up, whatever. Couldn't find anything on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, or The Ocho. No CBS Sports Network. No Fox Sports 1 or 2. Nothing on old Sunshine or old SportsChannel Florida. And I'm up here in Orlando, so OK, maybe you'd find UCF or UiF or USF or even F$U. Nothing. Nada.

If our own **** sports network won't show baseball, and we can't seem to trick any of the other cable channels into carrying college baseball, how will we ever monetize our third major conference sport? ****, I've said this before, I actually see more SOFTBALL games being covered, though it's not a ton (yet) until hoops wraps up in the next week-and-a-half (and, yes, I know that there will be ACC and NCAA tournaments, but they are largely carried on either broadcast channels or other channels that I didn't mention).

I hope this is a major issue on Dan's agenda.

EDIT: Oh, allow me to apologize, my guide updated and the ACCN now has ONE game on each of the next two Friday nights. And the game two days from now is still "TBA" for teams. ****, there is more (currently) scheduled MLB content, including spring training coverage, AND MLB IS IN A LOCKOUT. Meanwhile, our own **** conference sports channel can barely be bothered to show baseball games. You know, baseball, either the #1 or #2 most popular sport in America (depending on what metric you use).

Last edited:
Advertisement
Scanned my TiVo for the next two weeks. ZERO baseball games on ACCN. Sure, hoops is wrapping up, whatever. Couldn't find anything on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, or The Ocho. No CBS Sports Network. No Fox Sports 1 or 2. Nothing on old Sunshine or old SportsChannel Florida. And I'm up here in Orlando, so OK, maybe you'd find UCF or UiF or USF or even F$U. Nothing. Nada.

If our own **** sports network won't show baseball, and we can't seem to trick any of the other cable channels into carrying college baseball, how will we ever monetize our third major conference sport? ****, I've said this before, I actually see more SOFTBALL games being covered, though it's not a ton (yet) until hoops wraps up in the next week-and-a-half (and, yes, I know that there will be ACC and NCAA tournaments, but they are largely carried on either broadcast channels or other channels that I didn't mention).

Thank God for ESPN Plus.....if you got Roku or Firestick, it has most, like FAU this evening.

Thank God for ESPN Plus.....if you got Roku or Firestick, it has most, like FAU this evening.

I hear ya. I just never expected the most popular (or second-most popular) sport in America to be "streaming content" at the collegiate level.

These sports channels cover cheerleading and bowling and Spikeball and Pickleball and poker and snowmobiling and the X Games and e-sports and the GOD**** MIAMI BOAT SHOW, but we can't get a broadcast contract for college baseball? And our own conference barely shows any games?

Insane. And, yes, I have a Roku and a Firestick and an Apple TV, but I can't use my TiVo to record any of those.

I hear ya. I just never expected the most popular (or second-most popular) sport in America to be "streaming content" at the collegiate level.

These sports channels cover cheerleading and bowling and Spikeball and Pickleball and poker and snowmobiling and the X Games and e-sports and the GOD**** MIAMI BOAT SHOW, but we can't get a broadcast contract for college baseball? And our own conference barely shows any games?

Insane. And, yes, I have a Roku and a Firestick and an Apple TV, but I can't use my TiVo to record any of those.
I agree. ****, ACC Network many times will have a documentary on Duke Field Hockey or the 1983 NC State Basketball season when there is big live ACC action they could be covering

I agree with the sentiments overall here, but one thing I have to dispute is baseball being the first or second most popular sport in America. Sure, it's our "national pasttime", but it's nowhere near where it used to be. Football/basketball have both outdistanced baseball for the top 2 slots. And other sports like Golf and Soccer (and even Hockey) are next in line should Baseball continue on its decline.

I'm 40 and I grew up playing and watching a ton of baseball. Love the game, still enjoy watching the collegiate version (MLB is too sterile and analytics driven for me now). That being said...I pay a lot more attention to football, basketball, and then golf or soccer (especially international competitions for soccer) than I do baseball.

I'm just speaking for myself, but I do think the trends are showing baseball ceding some ground to other sports for sure.

Advertisement

EDIT: Oh, allow me to apologize, my guide updated and the ACCN now has ONE game on each of the next two Friday nights. And the game two days from now is still "TBA" for teams. ****, there is more (currently) scheduled MLB content, including spring training coverage, AND MLB IS IN A LOCKOUT. Meanwhile, our own **** conference sports channel can barely be bothered to show baseball games. You know, baseball, either the #1 or #2 most popular sport in America (depending on what metric you use).
I agree with you. Good thing we have the balanced and invigorating discussion here to help us keep pace with the season.

No respect whatsoever. That said, they need to find a way to speed up play. Not many fans willing to watch any sport these days that often takes 4 hours from start to finish.

My son and I have often said that CBB playoffs are among the most exciting, because you have home crowds until you get to Omaha. They need to find better regional and super-regional match-ups/rivalries for starters vs worrying about the travel b.s.

No respect whatsoever. That said, they need to find a way to speed up play. Not many fans willing to watch any sport these days that often takes 4 hours from start to finish.
Catch-22. Very few college baseball games take 4 hours, and that is precisely because they aren't on TV. TV means ads, ads take time. Our Saturday matinee and Sunday games were both under 3 hours - with us scoring more than 10 in each. There was a ton of action and not much down time.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think pace of play is nearly as big an issue in the college game as it is in the bigs.

Catch-22. Very few college baseball games take 4 hours, and that is precisely because they aren't on TV. TV means ads, ads take time. Our Saturday matinee and Sunday games were both under 3 hours - with us scoring more than 10 in each. There was a ton of action and not much down time.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think pace of play is nearly as big an issue in the college game as it is in the bigs.
Fair point, but it's early. I guarantee you we'll have several 3 1/2 - 4 hour games. MLB, to their credit, went to 7 inning DHs and the extra inning change ( do we do that in CBB - I can't recall)?

Advertisement
Fair point, but it's early. I guarantee you we'll have several 3 1/2 - 4 hour games. MLB, to their credit, went to 7 inning DHs and the extra inning change ( do we do that in CBB - I can't recall)?
True - a few long games are unavoidable though. Part of the game.

The problem I have with with baseball at the major league level is how the game is played. I can appreciate the skills and understand the analytics, but it’s not enjoyable. Strikeout, strikeout, solo homer, strikeout. Tough to watch. Don’t really have that problem at the acc/sec level, and it’s still a quality product.

W/r/t rule changes - God, I hope not.

True - a few long games are unavoidable though. Part of the game.

The problem I have with with baseball at the major league level is how the game is played. I can appreciate the skills and understand the analytics, but it’s not enjoyable. Strikeout, strikeout, solo homer, strikeout. Tough to watch. Don’t really have that problem at the acc/sec level, and it’s still a quality product.

W/r/t rule changes - God, I hope not.
And then here we go w a 10 minute replay review as I post - lol.

No problem with ACCN via Youtube TV. I pick right up going to hurricanesports.com link.

Follow the money. The advertisers want to know how many people will tune in to watch Cane Baseball versus another sports program from any other school. They have the system in place to measure how many people are watching at any specific time. Some sports, like softball are covered because it is a womens' sport and they don't want to be charged with bias in how they televise sports programs.

Advertisement
I agree with the sentiments overall here, but one thing I have to dispute is baseball being the first or second most popular sport in America. Sure, it's our "national pasttime", but it's nowhere near where it used to be. Football/basketball have both outdistanced baseball for the top 2 slots. And other sports like Golf and Soccer (and even Hockey) are next in line should Baseball continue on its decline.

I'm 40 and I grew up playing and watching a ton of baseball. Love the game, still enjoy watching the collegiate version (MLB is too sterile and analytics driven for me now). That being said...I pay a lot more attention to football, basketball, and then golf or soccer (especially international competitions for soccer) than I do baseball.

I'm just speaking for myself, but I do think the trends are showing baseball ceding some ground to other sports for sure.

Again, this is why I cited different metrics when it comes to baseball.

Baseball has more overall games, more overall attendance. Revenue is massive. Salaries are massive and guaranteed. TV coverage is massive, across many networks, cable channels, and regionals. This isn't about a competition between MLB and the NBA, it is simply undisputed that professional baseball has popularity in every available metric. Ticket sales, merch, eyeballs, TV coverage, etc.

Then, you turn to COLLEGE baseball? Crickets. Way bigger disparity than you see between NFL-NCAA Football or NBA-NCAA Basketball. There is a VAAAAAAST drop-off between MLB and NCCC Baseball.

No problem with ACCN via Youtube TV. I pick right up going to hurricanesports.com link.

Again, some of us are at the higher end of technological abilities and the doggedness to chase down streaming options to be able to watch games.

We (collectively) still need to do a LOT more to get these games put onto broadcast and cable channels to increase the likelihood of more people seeing the games. Otherwise, we will continue to see CBB be a fringe sport. Setting the TV part aside for a moment, there is also barely any coverage on ESPN.com, local TV channels, local newspapers, or any other media outlets either.

It's just a bad situation, and the only way we can start to reverse it is by increasing exposure.

Again, some of us are at the higher end of technological abilities and the doggedness to chase down streaming options to be able to watch games.

We (collectively) still need to do a LOT more to get these games put onto broadcast and cable channels to increase the likelihood of more people seeing the games. Otherwise, we will continue to see CBB be a fringe sport. Setting the TV part aside for a moment, there is also barely any coverage on ESPN.com, local TV channels, local newspapers, or any other media outlets either.

It's just a bad situation, and the only way we can start to reverse it is by increasing exposure.
Fair enough.

Advertisement
Fair enough.

You know I love you, and we both love the U.

I just want to be able to set up a season pass on my TiVo, so I can get all the games, regardless of what I am doing or where I am or whether I am out of town at the time. I've seen every UM basketball game this season, simply because my TiVo pulls every game, regardless of channel.

I could invest more time/effort, but I also like things to be easy. I just don't understand why CBB is nearly ignored as a sport, particularly when compared to MLB.

Give it a few weeks until the end of the college basketball conference tournaments. ESPN2 is probably airing more games this year than any since the 2005 NHL lockout, ESPNU will have it’s usual games, and ACCN has 57 games this spring. I for one welcome our new streaming overlords though. Almost every game in the ESPN app beats the old days of 10 games a year on CSS.

Again, this is why I cited different metrics when it comes to baseball.

Baseball has more overall games, more overall attendance. Revenue is massive. Salaries are massive and guaranteed. TV coverage is massive, across many networks, cable channels, and regionals. This isn't about a competition between MLB and the NBA, it is simply undisputed that professional baseball has popularity in every available metric. Ticket sales, merch, eyeballs, TV coverage, etc.

Then, you turn to COLLEGE baseball? Crickets. Way bigger disparity than you see between NFL-NCAA Football or NBA-NCAA Basketball. There is a VAAAAAAST drop-off between MLB and NCCC Baseball.

I get where you're coming from. MLB has made itself big enough that it's probably not going to fall much further behind NFL/NBA. But again - for me as a fan growing up, today's MLB is a far cry from what it was. It used to feel like if you are a fan, you're a part of the game. Now, it just feels distant. I definitely relate to the college game a lot more as it hasn't become nearly as sterile and is still pretty pure when it comes to how they play the game.

I do agree wholeheartedly that College baseball deserves more airtime. Heck, I think the MLB game should shorten to about half of the 162 game season and that would make things more meaningful in my eyes. It's exhausting to follow even though there are tons of ways to do so now...and I'm speaking for myself here, but the trends in terms of interest in MLB are less than what they used to be in my eyes. You see more fans of teams in their respective cities than you do folks traveling from out of town to show up to games unless they're just hardcore die-hard fans.

Advertisement
Back