We could take up to 30 in the 2018 class

Graduate transfers do not count against scholarship numbers.

this is fake news.

they count both towards the 85 total & the yearly 25 initial counters

It's not fake news, and you are both right and wrong.

What you don't understand is the "mid-year replacement rule". And if you read that rule, you would see that a student who graduates mid-year BOTH can be replaced by an initial counter AND remain enrolled at the University AS A GRADUATE STUDENT.

Where you are (technically) correct is that if we are NOT at the 85 number, then we cannot avail ourselves of the mid-year replacement rule.

And what I am not certain of is whether we can "fake" our way to 85 by handing out scholarships to walk-ons.

Let's put this in layman's terms.

We can replace Brad Kaaya with a grad transfer and have it, effectively, NOT count against our 25, but we have to be at 85 scholarships.

By the way, all the times I have been referring to "getting to 85", I have meant a LEGIT 85. Obviously, we could ALWAYS get to 85 simply by giving scholarships to walk-ons.

no, its fake news and i understand the mid-year replacement rule just fine:

15.5.6.3.5 Midyear Replacement. [FBS/FCS] A counter who graduates at midyear or who graduates during the previous academic year (including summer) may be replaced by an initial counter, who shall be counted against the initial limit either for the year in which the aid is awarded (if the institution’s annual limit has not been reached) or for the following academic year, or by a student-athlete who was an initial counter in a previous academic year and is returning to the institution after time spent on active duty in the armed services or on an official religious mission. In bowl subdivision football, an institution may use the midyear replacement exception only if it previously has provided financial aid during that academic year to the maximum number of overall counters (85 total counters). In championship subdivision football, an institution may use the midyear replacement exception only if it previously has provided financial aid during that academic year that equals the maximum number of overall equivalencies or overall counters.

there it is in all it's glory.

now, as i was saying within the context of this thread, is that if we get a graduate transfer or just your normal, everyday, run of the mill transfer. that player will count as an initial counter, limiting our 2018 class size by 1 & will end up counting against the 85 number.

Again, you are wrong.

Any January 2017 "initial counter" who replaces a mid-year graduate counts backward, assuming you have the space (and we did in the 2016 class, but not by as big a number as people think, due to sanctions). What is confusing you (and others) is that a grad transfer who shows up this summer can't use the rule, but a freshman signee can.

Thus, to the extent that a grad transfer and a freshman EE are fungible, they just switch places.

But, again, there simply are not that many mid-year GRADUATES. Lots of guys may finish in 4 years, but it is hard to get it done in 3.5 (and 4.5 really isn't all that helpful).

The more important aspect that the original poster ignored was probation and sanctions. The loss of those 9 initial counters, alone, blows this whole "theory" nonsense to ****.

brother,

how does any of what you just said have any relevance towards what i said? what am i wrong about? where did i say that a graduate transfer enrolling in the summer could count backwards a class?

i said, a graduate transfer will count as an initial counter and towards the 85 limit. that's it. so when that grad transfer shows up in april, may, june, july, whenever. it will count towards our 2017 initial counters and it will count against the 85 limit that we will have to be under come fall

Advertisement
Guys keep claiming 30 is a possibility for 2018. It's absolutely not possible unless we could count 5 EEs from 2018 toward the 25 limit from 2017. That will not be a possibility at all.

Ignoring any other factors, which nobody on this board has any information about, it is possible to count 5 EE's for 2018 toward the 2017 class. We signed 19 guys in 2016, which means 6 of our 2017 EE's could potentially count toward the 2016 class (yes, we brought in Colbert and Brown, but we also had EE's in the 2016 class that count toward the 2015 class). That puts out 2017 class at 18, so up to 7 2018 EE's could count toward 2017.

19 in 2016 + colbert, brown. & marquez williams = 22 in 2016.

none of our 2016 EE's counted towards 2015, because 2015 maxed out at 25.

which means all 22 of 2016 counted towards 2016. and that only 3 EE's from the 24 man 2017 classs counted towards 2016. which is why we are currently at 21.

We only signed 22 in 2015. Did we have some transfers come in, in 2015? I can't remember. Also, did we apply any 2015 EE's to the 2014 class?

Guys keep claiming 30 is a possibility for 2018. It's absolutely not possible unless we could count 5 EEs from 2018 toward the 25 limit from 2017. That will not be a possibility at all.

Ignoring any other factors, which nobody on this board has any information about, it is possible to count 5 EE's for 2018 toward the 2017 class. We signed 19 guys in 2016, which means 6 of our 2017 EE's could potentially count toward the 2016 class (yes, we brought in Colbert and Brown, but we also had EE's in the 2016 class that count toward the 2015 class). That puts out 2017 class at 18, so up to 7 2018 EE's could count toward 2017.

which means all 22 of 2016 counted towards 2016. and that only 3 EE's from the 24 man 2017 classs counted towards 2016. which is why we are currently at 21.

We only signed 22 in 2015. Did we have some transfers come in, in 2015? I can't remember. Also, did we apply any 2015 EE's to the 2014 class?

gerald willis, and the other 2 can be slightly controversial because,

it was reported that both vogel & badgley were given scholarships that year. if scholarships are awarded to walk-ons after their second year on campus, then they wont have to count as initial counters. however, for both of these guys, they were under that time frame and thus would have counted.

the controversy is over whether they were actually given scholarships. several papers reported on it, but whether or not that's official i guess can be up for debate.

and i have our 2014 class as being maxed out with 29 signings, 4 of which were able to count to 2013. so no 2015 EE's were able to count back

gerald willis, and the other 2 can be slightly controversial because,

it was reported that both vogel & badgley were given scholarships that year. if scholarships are awarded to walk-ons after their second year on campus, then they wont have to count as initial counters. however, for both of these guys, they were under that time frame and thus would have counted.

the controversy is over whether they were actually given scholarships. several papers reported on it, but whether or not that's official i guess can be up for debate.

and i have our 2014 class as being maxed out with 29 signings, 4 of which were able to count to 2013. so no 2015 EE's were able to count back

Great pick-ups by Derek, as per usual.

Badgley and Vogel, I guaran-*******-tee you, were awarded scholarships quickly. The difference is that Badgley came from Fork Union and counted as a FRESHMAN immediately. Vogel was a transfer from Florida and came in as a SOPHOMORE. So the only one who MIGHT have slid by as "not" an initial counter (assuming we gave him a scholarship as a junior) would be Vogel.

But, again, kudos to Double-D for finding all the guys who enroll OUTSIDE OF the signing class as shown on Rivals.

this is fake news.

they count both towards the 85 total & the yearly 25 initial counters

It's not fake news, and you are both right and wrong.

What you don't understand is the "mid-year replacement rule". And if you read that rule, you would see that a student who graduates mid-year BOTH can be replaced by an initial counter AND remain enrolled at the University AS A GRADUATE STUDENT.

Where you are (technically) correct is that if we are NOT at the 85 number, then we cannot avail ourselves of the mid-year replacement rule.

And what I am not certain of is whether we can "fake" our way to 85 by handing out scholarships to walk-ons.

Let's put this in layman's terms.

We can replace Brad Kaaya with a grad transfer and have it, effectively, NOT count against our 25, but we have to be at 85 scholarships.

By the way, all the times I have been referring to "getting to 85", I have meant a LEGIT 85. Obviously, we could ALWAYS get to 85 simply by giving scholarships to walk-ons.

no, its fake news and i understand the mid-year replacement rule just fine:

15.5.6.3.5 Midyear Replacement. [FBS/FCS] A counter who graduates at midyear or who graduates during the previous academic year (including summer) may be replaced by an initial counter, who shall be counted against the initial limit either for the year in which the aid is awarded (if the institution’s annual limit has not been reached) or for the following academic year, or by a student-athlete who was an initial counter in a previous academic year and is returning to the institution after time spent on active duty in the armed services or on an official religious mission. In bowl subdivision football, an institution may use the midyear replacement exception only if it previously has provided financial aid during that academic year to the maximum number of overall counters (85 total counters). In championship subdivision football, an institution may use the midyear replacement exception only if it previously has provided financial aid during that academic year that equals the maximum number of overall equivalencies or overall counters.

there it is in all it's glory.

now, as i was saying within the context of this thread, is that if we get a graduate transfer or just your normal, everyday, run of the mill transfer. that player will count as an initial counter, limiting our 2018 class size by 1 & will end up counting against the 85 number.

Again, you are wrong.

Any January 2017 "initial counter" who replaces a mid-year graduate counts backward, assuming you have the space (and we did in the 2016 class, but not by as big a number as people think, due to sanctions). What is confusing you (and others) is that a grad transfer who shows up this summer can't use the rule, but a freshman signee can.

Thus, to the extent that a grad transfer and a freshman EE are fungible, they just switch places.

But, again, there simply are not that many mid-year GRADUATES. Lots of guys may finish in 4 years, but it is hard to get it done in 3.5 (and 4.5 really isn't all that helpful).

The more important aspect that the original poster ignored was probation and sanctions. The loss of those 9 initial counters, alone, blows this whole "theory" nonsense to ****.

brother,

how does any of what you just said have any relevance towards what i said? what am i wrong about? where did i say that a graduate transfer enrolling in the summer could count backwards a class?

i said, a graduate transfer will count as an initial counter and towards the 85 limit. that's it. so when that grad transfer shows up in april, may, june, july, whenever. it will count towards our 2017 initial counters and it will count against the 85 limit that we will have to be under come fall

It's all good, Derek, it's not a huge difference, it just factors into "decision-making".

For instance, when you know you are enrolling 6 kids in January, you might initially think, "hey, 5 count towards the prior year, one towards the upcoming year". But then a kid graduates early, and you decide to take a grad transfer. The sixth EE can now count towards the prior year, assuming the grad transfer comes in summertime, and they effectively switch places.

The key thing, as always, is that we lost IC spots under sanctions. Thus, we do not have the "count-backwards" that some people like to claim. They act as if we were "undersigning" over the past few years, WHEN WE WERE UNDER SANCTIONS. You don't get to come roaring out of probation by claiming all the old scholarships (that were taken away) as "undersignings".

You would think that this point would be self-evident, but some don't use the logic. They think the NCAA can't figure out how to apply its own rules. And that might be true on investigations and whatnot, but they are pretty good about figuring out the scholarship limits.

Advertisement
[MENTION=16492]Canes1968[/MENTION]

i obviously dont know the numbers for 100% certainty.

as it stands today, if we lost enough guys to attrition and didnt add any transfers, it seems like 29 could be our max. now, maybe im off by 1 or 2 guys(like a vogel), which could give us that potential 30 number you calculated.

it's just fun to follow & discuss. and honestly for me, it just helps to set a guideline for class predictions when you know what the actual limits are(or close enough). it also helps to understand the stakes when we discuss taking a flyer on a 1 year guy, thinking it doesnt matter beyond that 1 year, when in fact, it will limit our next class as well..which, when 2018 is as loaded as it is, every spot matters.

as it stands today, if we lost enough guys to attrition and didnt add any transfers, it seems like 29 could be our max. now, maybe im off by 1 or 2 guys(like a vogel), which could give us that potential 30 number you calculated.

it's just fun to follow & discuss. and honestly for me, it just helps to set a guideline for class predictions when you know what the actual limits are(or close enough). it also helps to understand the stakes when we discuss taking a flyer on a 1 year guy, thinking it doesnt matter beyond that 1 year, when in fact, it will limit our next class as well..which, when 2018 is as loaded as it is, every spot matters.

Agree, and appreciate you providing the information in a non-confrontational way.

This thread got completely derailed. The number wasn't all that important, more so that we will likely be able to make room for the guys we want. Unfortunately, [MENTION=1846]TheOriginalCane[/MENTION] isn't capable to have a debate without insulting people or being condescending. Especially when he brings no numbers or actual analysis to the table to support his position. As you've shown, 29 could be our max and there is a "possibility" that the number could be 30.

i'll make this easy:

first number is total signed for that class, in brackets is the actual number that counted minus EE's counted towards previous class

2010: 26(20)
2011: 21(18)
2012: 32(25)
2013: 21(21)
2014: 29(25)
2015: 25(25)
2016: 22(22)
2017: 24(21)

Quick question. How do the sanctions factor into this? According to the final ruling, we were to lose 9 scholarships over the 2014, 2015 and 2016 seasons (distributed however we wanted). According to these numbers, we didn't take 9.

I've restated your numbers a bit to show signings minus EE's counted towards previous class plus EE's from next class counted toward current class:

2010: 26(23)
2011: 21(25)
2013: 21(25)
2016: 22(25)

As you can see, we have 25 initial counters in each class except 2 during this period. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Ariz declaring that we're looking at freaking SEVEN DBs tells me all i need to know about how big this class could be. If studs want in, we're going to make room for them.

The only way we take less than 27 or so is if people leave us at the altar on LOI day.

Advertisement

Agree, and appreciate you providing the information in a non-confrontational way.

This thread got completely derailed. The number wasn't all that important, more so that we will likely be able to make room for the guys we want. Unfortunately, [MENTION=1846]TheOriginalCane[/MENTION] isn't capable to have a debate without insulting people or being condescending. Especially when he brings no numbers or actual analysis to the table to support his position. As you've shown, 29 could be our max and there is a "possibility" that the number could be 30.

Funny whining coming from you. I provided factual information, which you proceeded to cry about, continuing to insist that your numbers are correct, even as you incorrectly stated that the NCAA scholarship reductions had no impact on the initial counter rule. And you CONTINUE to hopelessly hold onto the "signing list" as if it is an actual number.

Oh, but sure, people should be extra-polite to you when you repeatedly misstate the number we can take.

You had every opportunity to just say "yeah, I didn't factor in scholarship reductions", but you've wasted pages and pages insisting that we can take 30 next year.

Whatever, dude. Knock yourself out. Drag those heels until it hurts. And then when we sign 26 or 27, you'll come back with your (equally brilliant) gem of "there aren't 30 Miami-caliber players out there this year".

Are you at least willing to admit that we won't sign 2 kickers?

Ariz declaring that we're looking at freaking SEVEN DBs tells me all i need to know about how big this class could be. If studs want in, we're going to make room for them.

The only way we take less than 27 or so is if people leave us at the altar on LOI day.

That's what I've been thinking. 7 rides out of 23-25 on DBs would be ridiculous with our needs elsewhere. If ever there were a class to "make room," for schollies, the '18 class is it.

There are almost almost last minute defections. Doesn't mean we won't have a fantastic class.

Funny whining coming from you. I provided factual information, which you proceeded to cry about, continuing to insist that your numbers are correct, even as you incorrectly stated that the NCAA scholarship reductions had no impact on the initial counter rule. And you CONTINUE to hopelessly hold onto the "signing list" as if it is an actual number.

Oh, but sure, people should be extra-polite to you when you repeatedly misstate the number we can take.

You had every opportunity to just say "yeah, I didn't factor in scholarship reductions", but you've wasted pages and pages insisting that we can take 30 next year.

Whatever, dude. Knock yourself out. Drag those heels until it hurts. And then when we sign 26 or 27, you'll come back with your (equally brilliant) gem of "there aren't 30 Miami-caliber players out there this year".

Wow, you're an idiot. You got owned by D-D in this thread after you incorrectly stated that graduate transfers don't count as "initial counters".

Further, as D-D demonstrated, it appears the number we can take is 29, but even he indicated there may be some wiggle room in there as not all of the facts are clear, which leaves the door open to take 30.

Your reading comprehension must also be sub-par because never once did I say we would sign 30. I simply said we could sign 30. I agree that it's unlikely that we will ultimately sign that many, for many reasons. I also never said anything remotely close to "there aren't 30 Miami-caliber players out there this year". I said it's unlikely that we would find 30 Miami-caliber players that "want in". Said another way, it would be tough to get to 30 without taking some reaches.

Finally, I never said we would sign 2 kickers. The numbers I provided were "needs" based on rule of thumb scholarship allocations by position.

Please carry on going through life being an a**hole to people you disagree with. It won't get you very far.

i'll make this easy:

first number is total signed for that class, in brackets is the actual number that counted minus EE's counted towards previous class

Quick question. How do the sanctions factor into this? According to the final ruling, we were to lose 9 scholarships over the 2014, 2015 and 2016 seasons (distributed however we wanted). According to these numbers, we didn't take 9.

I've restated your numbers a bit to show signings minus EE's counted towards previous class plus EE's from next class counted toward current class:

As you can see, we have 25 initial counters in each class except 2 during this period. Am I missing something?

im glad you re-calculated the numbers. i did that myself in my head after i typed them out, and noticed we've ended up exactly at 25 every single year since 2011..and im sure we'll end up maxing out 2017 as well, once we get some transfers or EE's from 2018.

and as for the sanctions, the 3/year was ONLY applied to the total 85 number and not the individual 25 number. I remember that specifically when the ruling came out, as i was very excited to learn that our punishment would be so light. I think limiting the 25/year to be a much harsher penalty

Advertisement

Also, take another look at D-D's numbers, and tell me how you get 9 scholarship reductions during the 2014, 2015, and 2016 years. If his numbers are correct, we clearly didn't lose 9 "initial counters".

26-28 is the number...

1QB
2RB's
4WR's
2TE's
3/4OL's
3DT's
2/3DE's
2LB's
6DB's

i'll make this easy:

im glad you re-calculated the numbers. i did that myself in my head after i typed them out, and noticed we've ended up exactly at 25 every single year since 2011..and im sure we'll end up maxing out 2017 as well, once we get some transfers or EE's from 2018.

and as for the sanctions, the 3/year was ONLY applied to the total 85 number and not the individual 25 number. I remember that specifically when the ruling came out, as i was very excited to learn that our punishment would be so light. I think limiting the 25/year to be a much harsher penalty

Boom! [MENTION=1846]TheOriginalCane[/MENTION] what do you have to say about that? Somebody else saying exactly what I said before, which you claimed I was wrong about.

Advertisement
But theres also a lot of other guys that likely will transfer out that you hadn't listed. You did list Rosier, but If Allison, Perry, or Weldon win the QB job, Sherriffs might be gone next offseason too.
And Bar Milo and Hayden Mahoney (can't remember if he already left) should probably be gone.
Sheldrick Redwine has the mentality of someone who just doesn't care, which is always a good way to leave early.
I could see some of the LBs that don't play too much leaving also - McCray and Perry.

However, I doubt this class goes over 25-27.

You also need to consider this year we have 10 seniors that are out of eligibility after this yr and we have 21 juniors that will have 1 more yr after this yr.
but if all the people you say leave after this offseason, it will mean we only have like 7 guys graduating after next yr. So if we took like 30 this yr, we'd only be able to take like 15 guys in 2019 (just a guess). We need to get on the right track with how many guys we take every class. Oversigning too much will throw us off for future classes.

But theres also a lot of other guys that likely will transfer out that you hadn't listed. You did list Rosier, but If Allison, Perry, or Weldon win the QB job, Sherriffs might be gone next offseason too.
And Bar Milo and Hayden Mahoney (can't remember if he already left) should probably be gone.
Sheldrick Redwine has the mentality of someone who just doesn't care, which is always a good way to leave early.
I could see some of the LBs that don't play too much leaving also - McCray and Perry.

However, I doubt this class goes over 25-27.

You also need to consider this year we have 10 seniors that are out of eligibility after this yr and we have 21 juniors that will have 1 more yr after this yr.
but if all the people you say leave after this offseason, it will mean we only have like 7 guys graduating after next yr. So if we took like 30 this yr, we'd only be able to take like 15 guys in 2019 (just a guess). We need to get on the right track with how many guys we take every class. Oversigning too much will throw us off for future classes.

I included Mahoney in my list. You could be right about Milo, but I left him off holding out hope that he can develop into a quality OG. I'm not sure Sherriffs would leave. He's a high academic kid and will likely want to stick around until he earns a degree. Maybe Allison though?

I disagree with you on Redwine. I think he's just trying to find a spot. They are going to test him at Safety, which I think will be a better fit for him.

I included McCray and Mike Smith as not being renewed. I could see Perry going too, but I think he'll become a contributor.

good work today, guys.

looking forward to the thread next week about class size.

maybe one day, the mods will just pin one of these...

Advertisement
Back