We are in Denial with the high expectations...

Man if we don't demand the best then we not Miami fans, we been like that Miami get there swag from us str8 up. There's no reason why we shouldn't at least be competitive we have over 100 d1 players in sofla alone the numbers don't add up.

We lost 3 games by 11 total points and now we're not competitive? You can demand something all you want that doesn't mean you deserve it or earned it.

Are you even watching the games .... we look like a Div II offense.
We will be lucky to win 2 more games!!

It's basically the same offense we ran under Butch and Coker. Only difference is the skill level. Seriously think about it, while many of the teams now a days are moving to the spread, who keeps winning more than anyone? Alabama, and they run the same offense as us except they run those stupid jet sweeps. The stuff Richt calls will work with better personnel. Now I do agree since the personnel isn't there we need to modify our attack, but to call it a Div II offense is simply not true. Michigan runs a similar offense as well.

Advertisement
Context is the problem here.

It's not as simple as saying we lost x players or we're x number of points away from 7-1 or whatever. Taking the team as it is and looking at the current season and results across the board, we have underachieved.

For instance, when you lose to a 2-5 ND team, a team that Duke put 200+ more yards of offense up against that we did, for example, something doesn't smell right.

Or when James Madison scores 11 more points against UNC than we do, or when Charleston Southern puts up more yards against FSU than us, or when generally we do worse than most teams on major metrics (e.g. ND can't sack anyone yet they sack us seemingly at will; UNC and FSU can't stop anyone on D...until they play us).

Stuff like that makes clear to anyone watching our team and paying attention to cfb as a whole that we're not right, and we should be playing better (despite whatever personnel losses we may have had).

Vegas had us at a 7 win team. Why did people expect us to be world beaters? We are a blocked extra point from going into overtime and most likely beating FSPoo, a bad TD call against UNC from winning that game and a fumble recovery to give us a shot at beating ND in OT if not a scoop and score for the win in regulation. Putting us at 7-1 or 6-2 at best. Beating 3.5 cupcakes the way you should beat them made everyone drink koolaide just a little to soon. This team had major holes and flaws but we creamed our pants like a senior on prom night just a little to early.

Where to begin...

1. Do you understand what Vegas is trying to do? I thought this was already well know on this site. Do you ever evaluate how Vegas did at the end of the season to see if they were accurate?

2. Who expected us to be "world beaters"? I think we expected us to contend in the Coastal. I think we expected us to be able to beat 2-5 teams.

3. We lost that FSU game. You can't just say we would win if we go to OT. I mean you can but that would be a load of chit. Same thing for UNC. We lost. Same thing for ND. We lost. I find it interesting how you didn't bring up the muffed punt for ND, you know that stupid play that went our way.

4. Do you understand that our offense is performing worse during ACC competition? Do you understand that 10/11 starters are back? How come our defense can be instantly better but our offense regresses?

5. Do you understand that we went 8-4 during the regular season with essentially no coaching? Do you realize that was against a harder schedule? Can you explain why we can do better than last year?

Stop with the bullchit excuses. We're regressing on offense and we're performing poorly overall.

The teams that's balling right now except UW has a brunch of soFla guys on it Bama Louisville UF, these schools come down hear and get the Elite players and most of these guys pan out in college, even the two corners for Wisconsin tindel jr and Shelton they could be ballin for us right now missing on guys like them is what's hurting this program.

I think the point was lost about high expectations. Of course we as Canes fans have high expectations, I mean I thought we would win 9-10 games this year! The point is that we had high expectations with THIS team and I along with many others are in denial that this team is probably overachieving! Yes, OVERachieving with 3 of 4 losses being close/winnable.

Go rewatch the FAU game, look how bad we struggled against that terrible team, then you will see what I mean. The writing was on the wall right there during that game!

Advertisement
The one stat from last year that saved the season (saved ,as in 8 wins) was the turnover margin of nearly +1 per game, the best of any Canes team in a long while (I looked back to 2008). It made a very avr team look better than they were.

You can argue that good teams tend to have good turnover margin but this year Clemson and Louisville are both negative for the year and each are tied with a ranking of 73rd in the nation. Last year ,Clem made it to the championship game ranked # 83 in T.O. margin.

So last year ,we were 10th best in the nation in T.O. margin and still managed just 8 wins with one extra possession every game.

Miracle at Duke
OT at Neb and +2 T.O.
+4 T.O vs VT
+2 T.O. vs Pitt in a close game
+4 T.O. vs GT and Justin Thomas gets hurt in 1st Q
We could have easily been a 3 win team, Yeap,we were that bad !

This is a good point. Phil Steele talks about this in his book each year. We were +11 in TOs and we had 2 net close wins.

The pendulum has swung the other way this year where we've gotten some bad beats.

Just because we have been down doesn't mean we should lower our expectations. You make many great points, but this is the U. I still expect us to win every game.

No, this is not the U anymore and it won't ever be, that is the reality but it doesnt mean we wont ever win big either.. Just is still out on Richt but so far it doesn't look promising..

I am not calling for CMR's head at this point. I like him and want to see him succeed at UM.

There are legitimate questions as to his performance thus far. I believe that we would have won the FSU, UNC and ND games if the play calling had been better. I also think that we have better talent to a Vag Tech team that lost to Syracuse, but we had a lot of injuries on defense and that hurt quite a bit.

When UM hired him, I hoped that perhaps he had a chip on his shoulder by what transpired at UGA and that he would come here and go balls to the wall. Based on what I've seen, CMR has put in the effort, but the results are underwhelming. I hope CMR does a full and honest self-assessment of the team and makes whatever changes are needed to right this ship.

I think the point was lost about high expectations. Of course we as Canes fans have high expectations, I mean I thought we would win 9-10 games this year! The point is that we had high expectations with THIS team and I along with many others are in denial that this team is probably overachieving! Yes, OVERachieving with 3 of 4 losses being close/winnable.

Go rewatch the FAU game, look how bad we struggled against that terrible team, then you will see what I mean. The writing was on the wall right there during that game!

Everyone gets the point.

It is not about expectations. The problem with these expectation post is that they fail to acknowledge that there was/is enough talent to win.

This team’s record is about poor play calling, poor QB play and a bad OL. All which could have been corrected and could have resulted in a win.

It is obvious to everyone Brad cannot run the RPO yet it is forced down this team’s throat.
The OL cannot block running the RPO yet…
The RBs are poor running in the RPO yet…
The O performs better running a more conventional offense yet MR continues to force the RPO

Get passed this expectation stuff…this is about real issues that can be corrected and if not the offense will continue to perform poorly.

Advertisement
Expected Richt to improve the offense over a first time OC who is now a WR coach

Expected Richt to improve upon an 8-4 season corched by two current TE coaches

Expected Richt to not make D'Nofrioesque mistakes on offense

Expected Richt to have our offense be able to score 22 points against **** P5 defenses (that's somehow getting lost around here)

Expected Richt to win a game in the month of October

Expected Richt to not treat a $4M job as a dry run to see if he can still call a game

-- Forgive me if I thought those weren't high expectations

The guy got us an IPF. Is out there crootin' freaking 10 year olds every week to build it up for the future. Has our guys not giving up like Golden's sissy teams. Has us balling on defense with a great hire and has us about 11 points from being 7-1. Yeah he hasn't called plays in 9 years and it's been a rough ride for him to get up to speed but OMG lets fly the ***ing bannerz after one year!

The guy tried to tells us "Where are the big men at" "We don't have Miami speed". I get it, we were all desperate to return to glory. Look at our 2015 recruiting class and you'll see why we aren't getting it done this year.

Last edited:

We're overachieving? That's about as strong as it gets in the troll game.

The guy got us an IPF. Is out there crootin' freaking 10 year olds every week to build it up for the future. Has our guys not giving up like Golden's sissy teams. Has us balling on defense with a great hire and has us about 11 points from being 7-1. Yeah he hasn't called plays in 9 years and it's been a rough ride for him to get up to speed but OMG lets fly the ***ing bannerz after one year!

The guy tried to tells us "Where are the big men at" "We don't have Miami speed". I get it, we were all desperate to return to glory. Look at our 2015 recruiting class and you'll see why we aren't getting it done this year.

UGA fans are blaming Rix for the same things UM fans are blaming Folden. Take a gander at Rix's 2013 recruiting class.

Advertisement
Every time you f4ggots act like we have "high expectations." Maybe some of your excuses would make sense if we lost to Alabama or Ohio State. Except we're losing to a Notre Dame squad that lost at home to Duke and is 2-5. It doesn't take years of rebuilding to beat horse**** teams. ******* morons.

We wouldve won atleast two out of the last 4 games with Jacory Harris or Stephen Morris

Yea bro! 11 points away.

Anyone with a functioning brain realizes we were never going to do anything productive in the final 2 minutes to win a single one of those games with Richt'Onfrio. Let me break down how all those games best case scenarios would've gone down.

FSU - Convert the XP with 2 mins left, Jimbo takes the ball down the field and hits a game winning FG as time expires
UNC - We had the ball for the last drive. Game was in our hands, Richt'Onfrio did what he does.
ND - Carter recovers the fumble, we proceed to go 3 and out for the 60th time this season, ND gets the ball back at their 40 yard line, marches down the field, kicks a FG as time expires

You know how the best case scenarios would've gone down if we had a real coach in each of those game?

IT WOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN A SINGLE POSSESSION GAME. CANES WIN.

And LOL at Richt putting together a class worth a **** this year. I swear, 90% of this board suffers from Alzheimer's

Advertisement
Its always been a three year job its just people think we have pro bowlers everywhere n we dont and another coach isn't going to turn shytinto pudding.

Then u have the but crew "but dorsett duke morris are nfl players" yea what kind of nfl players is the real question. They r getting nfl coaching n still r just a number on a roster in the nfl. Thw simple truth is lock down sfla or be dog ****. I will know by this cycle if these guys will turn it around.....ay the game or get played....i dont think i can put myself through this though im almost on flat line already. These nfl players r the same players they were when they were here. Maybe like two r better ( shields and.....) but argue for the rest of em. Duke is the same but in the nfl he worse because players r faster.

What was the one thing butch players said when they went to the nfl? Reporters would ask how have u ajusted to the speed of the nfl? I remember well butch players would say its the same speed as miami. Rt now our team speed is *** besides some freshmen players

Last edited:

UGA fans are blaming Rix for the same things UM fans are blaming Folden. Take a gander at Rix's 2013 recruiting class.

There is no denying that his playing calling hasn't been good. I'm just saying he hasn't called plays in years, the game has change and I think he'll reflect on it. But my point was with recruiting is that people want to blame it all on play calling. But look at that class, full of jags and people who transferred. Look at those OL, as a Kehoe fan, it's absolutely atrocious. He tried to tell us we don't have the big men. Flowers isn't here and Sunny has been injured. These other guys are terrible, Kaaya holds onto the ball too long, and Richt is on and off with his calls. It's a lot of things making us bad, not corching.

I also lowered my expectations of monogamy with my wife. It's helped tremendously. When I walk in the house and see the pool boy and the lawn guy DP'ing her and spackling her eyes shut it doesn't even bother me.

2 more wins, and we get a trip to El Paso. There are no gimmes left on the schedule either. I'll tell you what though. Give Coach Rix 4 weeks to prepare for Louisiana Tech, and we'll give em **** in the bowl game.

David Carradine is that you?

Advertisement
Back