We are, excatly where we should be..

The blame goes all to Kaaya.

No, we should be 10-2. Richt takes that blame. However, the turn around, against lesser teams, does indicate a positive direction. The question of being able to win a BIG game, still remains. Overall, I'll give him a C+.

Advertisement
Because Fuente didn't change the entire coaching staff at VT. The only change they made was on offense, and he brought his own QB to help with that change.

Tell me how Mark Dantonio went from the playoffs to an under .500 season at the same school, in 12 months.

Talent and chemistry matter as much, if not more, than coaching.

Our staff is still developing chemistry, IMO.

We were not built to go 10-2. We don't have that mentality. We learned to go 8-4 and fight out of that.

It takes a season , and plus 1 to change mentality. .

We were not built to go 10-2? Seriously. Tell me about this "mentality".

How come Fuente can do more than us in his first season? Is it that same "mentality"?

Because VT, FSU, and a even teams like Clemson have developed and had mentally tougher teams for many years.

I don't care about star ratings from high schools. Ya'll know this.

All due respect...who are you? I see that you have been a member for over a year but you have 200 posts and act as if we should all be familiar with you. I had no idea that you don't care about star ratings from high school. I had no idea that you have your finger on the pulse of Jim Harbaugh because you are white and ate a Mexican burrito right next to him...literally. Did you used to have a different screen name? Serious question.

Because Fuente didn't change the entire coaching staff at VT. The only change they made was on offense, and he brought his own QB to help with that change.

Oh, so the reason they won the Coastal was because they kept some coaches?

How come our greatest improvements came when we replaced all our coaches? We greatly improved in defense and we replaced the whole staff. We're now top 25 on defense and we changed everyone. Our offense, essentially was the same as last season (10/11 starters) and we only improved slighty in conference. I think the difference is the coaching.

Tell me how Mark Dantonio went from the playoffs to an under .500 season at the same school, in 12 months.

You really think the MAIN reason MSU dropped off that fast is the talent. He lost to Maryland, Northwestern, Indiana and Illinois and none of them have good talent or are above .500.

Talent and chemistry matter as much, if not more, than coaching.

Our staff is still developing chemistry, IMO

How come our defense can do it so easily? How come they can develop chemistry and perform so well so quickly?

Perhaps the main issue is something besides the "talent" and "chemistry".

I would probably have taken 8-4 at the beginning of the year, given the recent trajectory, but we left some on the table.

That said, a definite improvement. What was the last canes team that had at least 8 wins by at least 2 TDs? I can't remember either. We beat 4 bowl eligible teams. Defense is miles better. O was inconsistent but played ok. The Duke game was the 2nd most points they've given up all year (Pitt).

I'll take it for year one, as long as there is improvement. I feel better about this team than any team under Golden.

Advertisement
No, we should be 10-2. Richt takes that blame. However, the turn around, against lesser teams, does indicate a positive direction. The question of being able to win a BIG game, still remains. Overall, I'll give him a C+.

Kaaya is a big part of the reason we are have 4 losses.

Saban was 7-6 in his first year at Bama. Hopefully, we'll be 9-4 after the bowl game. That's a lot better than what Saban did in his first year at Bama.

We were not built to go 10-2. We don't have that mentality. We learned to go 8-4 and fight out of that.

How come Fuente can do more than us in his first season? Is it that same "mentality"?

look at what the true freshman look like and look at what the upperclassmen look like.

That 4 game losing streak really hurt. It's bad enough that we lost 4 straight, but we lost to two sht teams in ND and UNC.

Advertisement
Saban was 7-6 in his first year at Bama. Hopefully, we'll be 9-4 after the bowl game. That's a lot better than what Saban did in his first year at Bama.

Yes and Jimmy Johnson went 8-5 his first year here. I'm not loving 8-4 but I'm not panicking either. If we don't get to 10 at minimum next year then I start getting worried.

Let's see who we get in a bowl game. We lost to every team with a pulse. Of course once the competition went down a notch this Oline looks good. If we can move the ball and push around another 8-4 team I'll be impressed.

As far as this season. I'm happy with Richt. Not the outcome we wanted but it's good to see us smashing lessor teams again. It only serve to build confidence for the future. I give him a B.
8 blow out wins, 3 close losses, 1 blowout loss.

we CRUSHED pitt and worked NC state both two decent teams that would be considered good had a play or two gone their way in 2 of their other games

they definitely have a pulse

not to mention gatech quietly had a nice season

Also of note, UNC lost to both Duke and NC State.

No doubt. This year was a wasted opportunity. We're going to hear cheerleader threads like this one all offseason though.

Here are the facts. Richt's playcalling cost us 4 games and his record, on the whole going back to his ENTIRE tenure at Georgia, is poor against quality opponents.

We all want hope....but we've had enough bad coaching here over the last 10+ years to know by now that we should pump the brakes. Richt's struggles in big games and his insistence on calling plays are both points of concern going forward.

He better kill it in recruiting....that's all I'm saying.

Advertisement
The blame goes all to Kaaya.

If Kaaya leaves early part of the blame goes to Richt for emphasizing the short pass game. Brad's audible against Duke opened the flood gates and will perhaps lead to less predictable play calling. Hopefully Richt will make that clear to BK as he really could use another year. Maybe the bowl game will make that clear.

look at what the true freshman look like and look at what the upperclassmen look like.

Is this english?

Advertisement

Kaaya is a big part of the reason we are have 4 losses.

Richt's play calling was the bigger reason.

It is amazing how they can't acknowledge it.

You've been on these boards long enough to have seen these potatoes come out early in every coaching cycle.

I'm convinced Don Bailey Jr posts on these boards.

Yes, I agree with you on should have wins? But we did not.

Richt wants power run football, it's clear now. He wants big strong lines, and QB'S to navigate the game. That's what we hired.

You know this, your smart.

As I said when we hired him. He will build a power team. Hope we keep Diaz, for 1 more season.

He will do well with that in the ACC, it's now showing. Big stage is a different debate. I have never said Richt will get us a NC.

But he will get us back towards the top. We have not been there in years..

Getting the Canes back toward the top will increase national exposure and rekindle local interest in the U. Near the top again means playing ranked teams on national TV instead of FAU and App State. All of this means better recruiting. Which comes first - recruiting or near the top? They go hand in hand. I would not write off a NC under Richt as he installs his players and style over the next 2-4 years. Just don't expect immediate miracles. 8-4 plus a decent bowl victory represents a successful first year for Richt, especially when things looked so bleak after 3 key players on defense were booted shortly before the season began. Predictions of 10-2 were wildly optimistic. Vegas didn't even have UM winning 7 games. Love the true believers, but Vegas usually has clearer vision.

One of the big downers is Njoko going to the NFL. He sure looked NFL ready yesterday. A big question for next year: Does Kaaya improve his pocket awareness and agility? Looked good yesterday, but he is not NFL ready. Also, who will replace Corn?

Positives from the season:
A staff that can make adjustments in game. An aggressive defense that creates negative plays. A freshman class that has already come into its own. A team that has shown improvement throughout the season.

Negatives from the season:
A horrible four game losing streak that ruined our chances at a division title. An offensive line that was offensive to watch (although they have looked better in recent games.) An offensive coordinator who took to long to realize what kind of system suits his team best. A team that still makes bonehead penalties. Not beating FSU, so ****ing tired of losing to those ********.

There still is a lot of what if and what could've been but there is a better feeling going into the off-season than there's been in a long time. Win the bowl game and we'll have momentum going into next year, something we haven't had in over a decade.

Three game losing streak cost Miami. The ND game meant nothing to the season. It's a worthless game at that point.

Richt's #1 priority should be fixing this o-line, everything starts from there imo.

Advertisement
Back